LADIES-

Options
Do you have a hard time working out and staying on track when you get on your period?
I find that when I work out I get very sick. And also that I need a lot more food.
I have really rough periods but I thought maybe this was normal anyways. What do you do for that week of the month?

Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I work out as normal
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I def feel like eating more. I actually start feeling better after I work out though, so I still do my exercises.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I still work out as usual.

i may do less on days i'm completely drained but i'm still working out, as much as my mind and body will allow it.

dizzy spells can be common during cycles. Drink more fluids and add more healthy kicks/foods to your days while on your cycle. you may be lacking things like iron, potassium, etc.
  • amandarama_
    Options
    For me, the two days prior to are worse. I still stay on track, but I am sooo much hungrier than usual for those two days. I don't notice any difference while I am actually on it though, I've always been lucky in that department. But yeah, the days leading up are brutal sometimes!
  • ohpretty
    ohpretty Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The days leading up to it are the worse for me as well. I crave french fries and chocolate like no other and I want to do nothing but sleep. During my actual period, it's not so bad. I don't crave as much and I working out makes me feel better (although it's actually working out that's the problem because of the aforementioned fatigue).
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • JodieP13
    JodieP13 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I slack off for the first two days and then go back to normal on day 3. I'm a wuss, but I'm okay with it.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    My periods make even walking a painful and nauseating experience. So I do not exercise on my period. I also give myself the first two days of my period as automatic free days. I'm miserable enough, no need to make it worse.
  • briannaaclark1
    Options
    My periods make even walking a painful and nauseating experience. So I do not exercise on my period. I also give myself the first two days of my period as automatic free days. I'm miserable enough, no need to make it worse.

Oh good. I was starting to feel like a weird person for being the only one haha but I agree. Definitely no need to make it worse.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I get lazy, bloated and eat a lot more too. But I push myself to exercise because it helps with the bloating, and laziness. I always feel better after pushing myself to exercise! Be sure you are drinking extra water to help with bloating too!
  • LindsayLL30
    LindsayLL30 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I do what I can, I have severe cramps that make me sick to my stomach for the first 2 days :/... And I do eat more, and crave dark choc!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I actually tend to do a bit more intense.
  • anm6c6
    anm6c6 Posts: 8
    Options
    I do less strenuous workouts on the first couple of days. After that, I'm fine.
  • andthenwhatjen
    andthenwhatjen Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For me, the two days prior to are worse. I still stay on track, but I am sooo much hungrier than usual for those two days. I don't notice any difference while I am actually on it though, I've always been lucky in that department. But yeah, the days leading up are brutal sometimes!

^^ This!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Most women can exercise - and after having my kids its now something that does not bother me. I do always make sure that my iron intake is higher as it helps to curb my cravings.

However before having my kids I was one of those women who could barely leave the bedroom let alone exercise. Listen to your body and do what feels right. For mild cramps exercise does help and it can also help relieve your mood but if they are severe rest up. However if your periods are that heavy or painful it would be worth mentioning this to your doctor as in most cases there is help available.
  • msuspartan10
    msuspartan10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I get nearly insatiable on my period. It's been rough lately because I go straight from one job to the next and it's sometimes difficult to make the time to exercise.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I practice Ashtanga Yoga so for the first three days of my period, I don't practice as hard. Usually just some gentle stretching and yin. Day 4... back on track!

I used to get sick too. I would recommend taking it easy day one and two (just walk or light weights) and then ramp up on day 3. Watch your food intake carefully on the days you aren't working hard and make sure you save enough for a treat or two! (CHOCOLATE!!)
  • AndiGirl70
    AndiGirl70 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I have a regular cycle which averages every 32 days. I also believe I am peri-menopausal too. I consistently have food control issues the week leading up to my period. The first 2-3 days sap my energy and I flow heavy so I typically don't work out on those days (no energy and just too damn messy!). But then I get back on a regular rhythm and can control my appetite and carry on like usual. I also find an increase in B vitamins & better nutrition in general keeps my mood swings under control better. Better mood=Happy Family :happy:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    nope.... nothing circumvents my working out.

My body is my *****- it will not derail me from my goals.
  • shirleylmartin
    shirleylmartin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Do you have a hard time working out and staying on track when you get on your period?
    I find that when I work out I get very sick. And also that I need a lot more food.
    I have really rough periods but I thought maybe this was normal anyways. What do you do for that week of the month?

My appetite does increase during my cycle, but I do workout during it - even when I don't want to - I ALWAYS feel better after I workout. But if you feel sick, maybe you should do a less intense workout - so you're still moving, but just not so much that you get sick afterwards.