Flattening the post pregnancy belly

Options
Hi All, just wondering if there are some exercises that will help to tone the lower stomach. Currently I do cardio, I run 3 miles 4-5 times a week and in terms of ab exercises I do crunches and leg raises. I'm not sure if I'm able to tone it up anymore and if what I'm seeing is just excess skin leftover from the pregnancy. Anyways, if anyone does any other kinds of lower ab workouts, I'd be interested in hearing about them! Thanks! :)

Replies

• ProgressNotPerfection32
    ProgressNotPerfection32 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I would love to know too!!!
  • lattarulol
    lattarulol Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I can't help you but just want you to know I feel your pain. I am 25 pounds lighter than I was prior to my first baby (have two now) and I have a belly still that I can roll up on itself. My collar bones, ribs, and hip bones stick out uncomfortably and I still have the belly. I think it's genetic....sigh.
  • aspencer85
    Options
    Doesn't it suck? It is the most stubborn area, I guess because it goes through the largest amount of stretching. Thanks for your reply. I know we're not alone in this area!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy
  • calroseangelo
    Options
    You can't really spot reduce fat, but I will say that Insanity has helped me SO much!! I still have a little tummy, but it is nothing like it used to be. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about it. :happy:
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    totally feel your pain...i think mine will be harder to get rid of yet with them being csections...grrrr
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Pilates flattened my stomach to a degree I would never believe possible as a 39 yo mom! I do the Kristen McGee Pilates dvd 2x a week.
  • Show_Stopper
    Show_Stopper Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I still have a ways to go but Jillian Micheals has really helped me in toning my tummy. I have done 6 week 6 pack and I think it has really helped. I had my baby in Feb of 2012 by csection
  • cathymarie75
    cathymarie75 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have same problem. Insanity has helped. and Jillian michaels abs you can find her workout on youtube.

Feel free to add me !
  • aspencer85
    Options
    Thanks! I'll look up some of those workouts, appreciate the responses!
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Loose skin will look like (for lack of a better description, and I'm sorry) a turkey neck... wrinkled and very loose, and very thin when you pinch it.

Fat over the abs will be thicker when you pinch it.

I think it just takes time for that skin to shrink back down. I've had 2 kids, and my youngest is 19 months, and that skin has just started to firm back up in the past 2 months. It looks ok when I'm standing up, but it turkey necks on me when I stoop over (bend).

If it's loose, and you've already lost the fat, then maybe try binding with a wide (6 inch wide) ACE bandage? It will help make it look flatter in clothes, is adjustable, and washable.

Edit to add - I'm suggesting the bandage because there isn't anything you can do but wait if it loose skin. If it's fat, then it's up to losing the fat.
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy and eating clean. I tell myself loosing the pooch is very possible as some female bodybuilders have kids!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Flattening that area requires an all over body fat loss mixed in with exercises that strengthen and rebuild the muscles in that area.

Crunches with different variations, leg pendulums, lateral leg raises, toe reaches, planks and plank variations, burpees and variations of burpees... there are tons of different exercises that can help it's a matter of getting each muscle in the abdomen and and lower back active to tighten it up and build back the strength they probably had before pregnancy.
  • hopefor13
    hopefor13 Posts: 1
    Options
    hi there!

thought you would like to read this article i just read on this topic:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/10/how-pregnancy-changes-a-runners-body/

its about running post pregnancy and why your stomach needs to be treated differently..

I did The Dia Method which works specifically on bellies post pregnancy. It was amazing since i learned how to get those stomach muscles back together- basically what the doctor in theNY times article is saying needs to happen. Avoid crunches at all costs!