One Year Ago...

Options
Well, as of yesterday it has officially been one year since I joined MFP and changed my life. I know I'm not one of those who has lost a ton of weight, but I thought I would just post a few ways my life has changed in the last year.

One Year Ago I was squeezing into size 12 pants knowing that I really needed to be in a size 14.
Today my size 6's are hanging on my hips, but I can't really afford to go buy MORE smaller clothes.

One Year Ago I was tired all the time.
Today I have tons of energy all the time and get so much more done. My house is cleaner and I really enjoy playing with my kids.

One Year Ago I disliked exercise and only did it when I was forced to.
Today I literally love to exercise. If I have an extra hour in the day you can bet I'm going to try to figure out a way to spend it at the gym or riding my bike.

One Year Ago I spent a lot of time obsessing about how much I disliked my body and how uncomfortable I felt in my own skin.
Today I actually like the way I look in clothes and don't mind passing a mirror.

One Year Ago I ate fast food 5 - 10 times per week and made really poor choices about what I ordered.
Today I very rarely eat fast food (maybe once every other month) and when I do I'm very careful about what I choose.

One Year Ago I really thought if I just exercised more I could lose the extra weight.
Today I believe exercise is an important portion of getting healthy, but I believe that what I eat is at least 80% of it.

One Year Ago I would have thought the idea of riding a bike more than 3 miles was absurd.
Today I've ridden over 20 miles several times, over 35 miles once and am looking forward to a 57 mile ride I'll do with my husband at the end of September.

One Year Ago I had never heard of Zumba.
Today I do Zumba twice a week and love every minute of it.

One Year Ago I had no idea how many calories I was consuming in a day.
Today, even though I don't track my food every day any more I have a very good idea of what I'm eating and know what I can eat to stay in a healthy range.

One Year Ago I weighted 156 lbs, was 36% fat and had 40 inch hips and a 35 inch waist.
Today I weigh 125 and have 25% body fat with 36 inch hips and a 28 inch waist. I am smaller than I was in high school.

I could probably go on and on...my life is very different and I'm so very happy that I made the change when I did. I hope that this offers some motivation to some who are just starting out. I promise it works and I promise you that a year from now it will totally be worth it.

-Natalie

P.S. if you're interested in knowing exactly how I used MFP I made a post on my personal blog a couple of months ago: http://natalietibbs.blogspot.com/2010/06/yes-i-lost-it.html

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! This is an inspiration to help with the whole thought of this being a lifestyle change not just a diet.
  • Sumatra
    Sumatra Posts: 181
    Options
    I love reading success stories like yours. Congratulations! You are an inspiration! Thanks for sharing your story.
  • kendra1976
    kendra1976 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    congrats!!
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    Congratulations and thanks for sharing. It was an very eye-opening post about the changes that occur by becoming healthier. It's not just about the number on the scale. :smile:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Wow! I hope I'm saying all that in 6 months. Especially the clothes. I love clothes! And shoes..... :bigsmile:

Would just be so nice to put something on and NOT thinking 'how fat do I look in this?' :laugh:

You've done so well to get to your ideal weight. Sometimes not having much to lose is harder than having loads.

Well done you!! :flowerforyou:
  • acreator24
    acreator24 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    LOVE this part of your story: "It’s amazing what an eye opener it is to know how many calories are in the food you eat. Add that to the fact that I just <b>didn’t want to have to record that I ate an entire bag of cheetos </b>, and I found the website to be really helpful. "

You hit the nail on the head...I didnt eat like crap as soon as I started MFP because I didnt want to record it and I could not not record it because I am not dishonest. I'd be lying to my friends and family who are doing this with me and I try to lead by example.
  • itsmenatalie
    itsmenatalie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! And good luck to all of you as we continue this journey.