need a healthy squash/zucchini recipe

Options
2»

Replies

• krommama
    krommama Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    We just usually saute them with onions. Sometimes we add a little ginger and soy sauce. Yellow squash is one of my favorites.
  • Darkefairie
    Darkefairie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i like butternut squash cut into chip shapes..ish! sprayed in frylight and roasted! so nice and can kill a sugar craving! :-) my kids love this too
  • hecham
    hecham Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    "Garden vegetable crustless quiche" from the CookingLight website. So delicious and it calls for loads of zucchini and squash.
    20072013 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Princessxrose
    Princessxrose Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Our home makes Zucchini noodles. My fav is zucchini noddles with grilled chicken, bell peppers, and mushrooms in a pesto sauce. My BF loves it and it's such a great alternative to pasta.
  • Blossom59
    Blossom59 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The other night I quarted my zucchini, shredded cabbage and cut up some onions. I sauted them in a skillet with butter. I put a lid on it and let them cook down. I let them cook until they started turning brown. I was so good!.......The browned zucchini tasted almost like fried squash....even my little boy liked it.
  • ShallowGlass
    Options
    I shred up zucchini in my food processor to a fine consistency and add it to my homemade marinara sauce. I find that it adds a nice texture without changing the flavor too much. I'm at work now, but I can post my recipe when I get home.
  • nwatrous
    nwatrous Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I made the chicken enchilada stuffed zucchini from the SkinnyTaste website over the weekend. They were amazing! Great with a side of seasoned black beans.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/08/chicken-enchilada-stuffed-zucchini-boats.html
  • wlaura88
    wlaura88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite recipe with zucchini and squash. It replaces lasagna noodles with zucchini and squash and the ricotta with a mixture of Greek yogurt, chopped broccoli and shredded cheese (it says use raw shredded goat cheese, but I just use low-fat or fat free shredded mozzarella cheese).

http://www.whatrunslori.com/2011/12/paleasagna/

Also, I second the zucchini pizza boats.
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Zucchini & Black Bean Quesadilla

1 cup chopped zucchini
    1/2 cup black beans (drained/rinsed)
    2 tsp olive oil
    1 tsp cumin
    2 whole wheat tortillas
    1/4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese

Saute zucchini, black beans in olive oil & cumin for about 5 minutes.
    Put mixture on tortillas
    Sprinkle w/cheese
    Fold tortillas in half and cook in pan until cheese melts
    Top with salsa and plain non-fat greek yogurt

Makes 2 servings.

Quinoa and Black Bean Chili

1/2 cup dry quinoa
    1 cup water (or vegetable stock)
    1.5 tsp olive oil
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 garlic cloves minced
    1 can no-salt added diced tomato (14 oz)
    1 can low-sodium black beans (rinsed/drained)
    1/2 green bell pepper (chopped)
    1/2 red bell pepper (chopped)
    1/2 large zucchini (chopped)
    1/2 jalapeno pepper (seeded/diced)
    1/2 TBS chili powder
    1/2 TBS ground cumin
    1/2 TBS ground chipotle
    1/2 tsp ground oregano
    1/2 cup frozen corn kernals

Bring the quinoa and water (or stock) to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes; set aside.

Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, and cook until the onion softens and turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, and cumin; cook and stir 1 minute to release the flavors. Stir in the tomatoes, black beans, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, zucchini, jalapeno pepper, chipotle pepper, and oregano. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes (sometimes have to add a little water or stock if too thick).

After 20 minutes, stir in the reserved quinoa and corn. Cook to reheat the corn for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, and stir in the cilantro to serve.

Makes 4-5 servings.
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Stacyschim
    Stacyschim Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love squash in a frittata. I sauteed some tonight along with carrots, bell peppers, onions, garlic, spices and added to red quinoa.