Is running effective and how to push yourself mentally?

Options
2»

Replies

• p2smommy
    p2smommy Posts: 64
    Options
    I'm married to an ultra marathoner.. And I've recently started running as part of my "get fit" routine. I can tell you.. I despise running. BUT like most of the PP's have said.. it does help to change your body!

I find that my breathing and my mental outlook is what gives out way before my legs do. I just can.not. get my braething right. Once in a while, I'll have a song that just works with my breathing if I'm breathing with the words... otherwise, it's a struggle for me.

When I want to give out mentally, I spot a landmark.. whether it's a sign, a post, a building, etc.. and I tell myself.. "Make it to that one." Then once I hit that one, I pick one just a further bit up and say "That one's not that far.. let's do that one."

While I'm not able to run 3.1 miles yet, I do run about 2 at a time.. and usually finish up with another 3+ walking after I finish the 2 running.. then once a week, I walk 10-12 miles. I'm goaling for the end of July - my hubby asked me to run a 10k while he's running a 50k the same day in the same event.. so I've been pushing myself on my 10-12 mile days to run my 2, then walk, then finish up with a 2..

Good luck!!!
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I just have to get past that first bout of lactic acid leaving my calves, and after that I'm pretty much ok. To get past it, I remember (and repeat to myself) a quote I heard, which is "most people don't run far enough on their first wind to find out they have a second". I repeat that whenever I feel like quitting, and it helps me.

Also, I go off into fantasy land (I run on a treadmill). Current favorite is running with the boys from 300 (the movie)... good stuff. ;-)
  • CardFreq
    CardFreq Posts: 1
    Options
    I used to run, what I call a lot, but that's all subjective. In my prime I would log about 30 miles a week. During that time I completed three half marathons and few smaller ones with slightly better than average times. I only say that to so this, from what I've personally experienced and from what I've researched running is not your best choice for getting fit and into "shape". Should you run? Yes. Should you spend an hour on the treadmill a couple times a week? Definitely not. As far as maximizing your time and effort- weight training (for power not body building) and calisthenics are far better at burning fat and growing lean muscle. For the heart and lungs you should certainly do calisthenics, with some short distance sprinting intervals. Then again if time is not a factor by all means both. I still like to run as I find it is great for stress relief and I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment when I'm done. I just don't look to the "run" as great option pertaining to fat loss and lean muscle gains.
    I don't have the time right now but for women there are negative effects of running to much when your goal is weight loss. If I have the time later I will post a link to the scientific study.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    A quote ' If you're going through hell, keep going'
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    for sure, giddy up and go, its the best!
  • shortmomma81
    Options
    I love running. At first it was really hard and I found out it was because I was doing it wrong, once I figured the right way I was able to do it for a long time. You have to keep your shoulders up, chest out, inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Not sure if that helps. "The Wall" only last about 5-7 minutes for me, and once I push myself past that, it's smooth sailing. Bike is good too:)
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    yes! I have been "practicing" running for a few months now, but about 6 weeks ago, started running 3 miles straight each day, m-f. my weight loss has doubled, even though the calorie burn is close to what I was burning on the elliptical. mentally, I cannot handle the idea of not making a goal, so I set a time on the machine, and no matter how bad I want to stop, I refuse. once I hit that time, I usually force myself to stay on a bit more. I set the machine for 30 minutes, however, by the time I reach 30 min, I push it for another 5 minutes. I love it, makes me feel so accomplished when im done. I know 30 minutes isn't much, but 2 months ago, I couldn't run even 3 minutes! I also feel like my workout was effective, being that im slingling sweat all over the machine and up on the info screen, hehehe
  • appygirl84
    appygirl84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I can't just run outside. I either run to fast and cramp up, or get distracted.

I run on the treadmill. No preset.
    I like to start out with 2.5 minutes at 2.5mph as a warm up
    then 3.0 minutes at 3.0 mph
    all the way up to 4.5 or 5...
    Then I work my way back down.

Goofy I know, but it gives me a goal, something to keep up with. Since I was at a gym I would also watch tv... but only if I was lucky enough to get one of the treadmills infront of a tv. I stepped off the side once... lol never again! I miss the gym for that reason. I now have an elliptical in front my my tv at home, it isn't the same. I am going to have to save up for a treadmill.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    The best way for me to stay motivated is anger. I use it all to fuel my workouts.
    Also I don't work out, I hate working out, I train. If I have some sort of goal or race in mind then there is that to hold onto. If I'm just going to putz around on the treadmill I think I'd just go on it for 5 minutes and go home.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    When I started running I used music to get me through a mental block. I'm really competitive with myself. when I wanted to stop or take a break from running I would tell myself "one more song, its only 4 minutes just keep going anyone can do anything for 4 minutes" When I got to the end of the song I would tell myself "that wasn't so bad do it again". I've been running for a while now and its become more goal related. Now when I get on a treadmill or run outside I tell myself how many miles I want to go and I force myself to reach my goal.

I'm not sure on a scale of 1-10 how good it is for fat loss, but its great for endurance, increase lung capacity and your leg muscles. I burn a higher number of calories running vs if I were to do the elliptical or a stationary bike.

I agree with all of this. I used C25K along with the music and had races scheduled throughout the summer with specific goals for each such as in the first one I just wanted to run for at least 5 minutes (I ran 6), the second I wanted to run at least half (I ran 2.5 miles) and one at the end of August I plan to run the whole thing. This kept me motivated to keep advancing through the program.
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    Personally I prefer a bicycle to running - less stress on the joints and you get to see more. But that's a personal thing. How I push myself is to pick a point of interest that's out there a good 20 minutes or so. I get there and walk around a bit, have some water, and then I have to ride back home - no way out of it! Works for me.

I also play racquetball once a week, having a standing session with somebody keeps things moving. That will change your shape but it's going to be hard on your ankle. It is on my knees....
  • leaellenj
    leaellenj Posts: 38
    Options
    Depending on who you talk to, running is touted as the best calorie burner out there and for me that is definitely true. I have been a runner for several years now.

I used to just phone it in, run my 20 minutes with a warm up/cool down and never worried about distance or running faster. I'd get on the treadmill and pound it out. It was a huge mental victory for me when I realize that I could actually go farther and longer, you just have to keep going.

If I'm running outside, the constant change in scenery is usually enough to keep me going. On the treadmill I have to get on with a very specific goal in mind otherwise I'll give up after my obligatory 30 minutes. I don't run with music outside but inside it is helpful.

Do you have any friends you can meet up with for a run outside or at the gym? Could you sign up for a race and work toward that goal? Motivation changes all the time. You just have to figure out what excites you at that moment.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    When I started running I used music to get me through a mental block. I'm really competitive with myself. when I wanted to stop or take a break from running I would tell myself "one more song, its only 4 minutes just keep going anyone can do anything for 4 minutes" When I got to the end of the song I would tell myself "that wasn't so bad do it again". I've been running for a while now and its become more goal related. Now when I get on a treadmill or run outside I tell myself how many miles I want to go and I force myself to reach my goal.

I'm not sure on a scale of 1-10 how good it is for fat loss, but its great for endurance, increase lung capacity and your leg muscles. I burn a higher number of calories running vs if I were to do the elliptical or a stationary bike. I've recently started in the past two months weight training so all my weightless is due to running and diet 250lbs to 211lbs, I run just a little over a 9 minute mile and usually run 7 miles every other day. Average time is 67 minutes give or take a couple minutes or seconds.

I totally do the music thing too. Then when I'm done and getting ready to cool down if I hit another good beat I can crank it back up! Music does it for me!
  • brenstar05
    brenstar05 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    First, I'm going to admit that I didn't read all of the posts before me, so if someone else already posted this... I apologize.

When I first started running I thought all the same things. Running has definitely added a great benefit to my weight loss but also, when added with cross-training and lifting has done great things for the toning in my legs. :wink: So, yes. Running is a great way to add cardio and help lose some of the fat/weight.

But what I really wanted to comment on was the mental part. I struggle with this a lot. I find myself to be a generally positive person, until I get out on the road. Then all of a sudden, I can't do anything. At least in my mind. For some reason, I can leap tall buildings in a single bound when I'm doing anything else, but when I run, all of a sudden I can't even make my feet move. This is obviously not the case, but my head gets the best of me.

During any given run, I spend about 90% of the time telling myself that "I can't"... "I can't make it one mile"; "I can't keep running"; "I'll never finish this distance"; "I can't make it to the finish line." So, one day I decided to just prove that I CAN... in really little ways. I make deals with myself when I run. I give myself a landmark or a mile marker and I tell myself that if I can just make it to that point, I can give in and listen to my brain telling me I CAN'T. So, for instance, when I'm starting to feel winded and like I just can't go any further, I will say "if you make it to the fire hydrant, you can 'give in' and walk."

Usually what happens is that I make it to that fire hydrant and then make a new deal. Instead of giving in and walking, I make a new deal to just make it to the blue car (or my favorite one is to make it past the house where people are sitting outside, cuz I don't want them to see me walk). Now, there are times when I do give in. I make it to the blue car and I have to walk. So, I do. There is nothing wrong with walking. But then I start again and my mind is telling me I can't, so I say "ok, if I CAN'T make it the full 3 miles, I CAN at least make it to the end of the street." Before I know it, the run is over and I made it. :smile:

For me, running is about 10% physical and 90% mental. I have done great things for my fitness lately, so I know that my body can handle it. I just have to make sure I remind my mind that I can do it. You are an amazingly strong person... you CAN do it. Just keep trucking along!! :happy:
  • Teardrop81
    Teardrop81 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I was a runner during my teens, but then I became a couch potatoe for more than a decade, starting and stopping exercise plans and doing fad diets. I started exercising last September on the elliptical, wishing that I could run but in my mind it was something I couldn't do anymore. I never thought I would get to a point where I could be a "runner" again. Then I did my PT test for work in April which required a 1.5 mi run and discovered that I had been "training" without realizing it by doing the elliptical and weights I'd been doing for the last 7 months. I did it in 16 mins. That was all I needed! I've been running ever since and I LOVE IT. Some people can get in shape by running, I had to get in shape to run. It was too painful the other way for me because I, too, would stop too easily and not push myself. Now, I do the same as others have said. I give myself mini-goals. About 1.5 miles in, I get into a zone where I can daydream and the time just flys by. The jolting of my feet pounding on the pavement use to be very anxiety-provoking. Now its almost meditative. I'm about to start doing races and I'm so excited about my progress. I've done many diets and exercise programs, but BY FAR, running has been the most rewarding. Not necessarily weight-wise, but "proud-of-myself-wise". And its addictive! When I get done, I can't wait to do it again. My advice is to start small and don't compare yourself to others. Before you know it, you'll be craving the pavement instead of a cheeseburger! :bigsmile:
  • spartania
    spartania Posts: 88
    Options
    Physically, start small. Couch to 5K is great, because you gradually increase the amount you run.

Mentally, I think of Harry Potter. Really, bear with me a second. At the end of Prisoner of Azkaban, when he was able to summon his patronus to defeat the dementors, he was able to do it because he knew he already did it. Going through C25K, I thought the same thing. I can do this because I've already done it. IE, "I know I can run this 5 minute interval, because last week, I was able to run several 3 minute intervals. I've already run further than this."

I love this! I am going to Harry Potter myself when I go for my next run. :)
  • sweetTN
    sweetTN Posts: 13
    Options
    I just started running recently. I have run everyday this week for 30 minutes. I feel great and I can already see my body changing. I can't run straight for more then 10 minutes without taking a couple minutes walking break yet, but I am already seeing my endurance improving. Listening to upbeat or angry music really helps me to push through when I feel like quitting. I lose myself in the music.
  • kshaw5501
    kshaw5501 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I only began running on the treadmill at the gym back in January/February of this year and have worked myself up to 2 miles at 5.2-5.5 MPH. I didn't use the couch to 5k app, but did start with 2 minute intervals of walking and running until I was able to run 10 minutes without stopping. I signed up for my first 5k that is in November, and that's my biggest motivation to keep going. Also, music is very important, lots of upbeat and fast paced songs.
  • lizayjay
    lizayjay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started running at the beginning of the summer with my friend, and we both haven't ran in a while just because of a heavy school load this past semester. We were both in sports most of high school; she did soccer and I did gymnastics, and we both suffered from shin splints so it was an even starting point for both of us. After a month or so of running it was the strangest thing, I started looking like I was losing more weight then she was and she actually worked out more then I did. I just ran 3-4 days a week and she weight lifted AND ran probably 4-5 days a week. I don't know if it was our body types or diets or what, but for me running has been what's changed my weight and body the most so far (in addition to portion control).
    We have found that just running on a flat surface for a long distance is very boring and we don't see results as quickly. But like most anyone will tell you, high interval training is what will melt the fat off quicker. So we've been running up and down this huge hill at a park, pretty much starting at the bottom and running up half way (not as fast as possible, just at a good speed) and then jog back down with control. Wait about 30 seconds and then repeat. We do this about 5 or 6 times, or if we feel like it more, and it has been very effective for us.
    What gets us through the heat and make-it-or-break-it moments is having one another to push each other to our limits. We both also listen to music and that really helps a lot. Something we also do is try to wear shorts or tank tops when we run, just because when our skin and bodies are more exposed we are much more aware of how our bodies feel and look, which motivates us even more. I know that might sound silly, but it works for us!
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I signed up for The Color Run 5k, so now I have no choice but to be motivated, lol. Thanks everyone.