would you count this as exercise calories?

Options
i havent worked in 3 years since before i had my second child.
iv recently got a cleaning job always has me sweating by the time i finish.
its only between an hour and an hour an a half each morning.
its vigarous cleaning scrubbing floors e.t.c
would u count this as exercise calories?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    No, if its your job, just increase your activty level on your profile to cover it
  • alanmonks
    alanmonks Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    yeah you can count it. you can add it in your exercises and will calculate the calories burned.
  • pixieE
    Options
    I work as a cleaner and i only add it as exercise if my muscles start aching lol i've got 4 kids so i'm used to running around after them but some of the work i do as my job has me sweating!!!!!!!
  • subtilty
    Options
    I think if housework counts then this does too myself :)
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    If this is your job and your daily routine, then it's not counted as exercise. You would set your activity level in your profile as "active" or "mod active"; whatever the choices are. MFP will calculate your calorie goal based on your profile and set you at the deficit to lose the 1lb or 2 lbs, or whatever, per week.
  • tesha30
    tesha30 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    since its only for an hour or so everyday.. I would count it! its like cleaning your own place for that amount of time. If you breaking a sweat.. your burning something. I dont know what you do the rest of the day... but I would count it
  • i havent worked in 3 years since before i had my second child.

Of course it's exercise! Even if it's your job! You exert energy and you burn cal ... The definition of exercise (in a nutshell sort of way) ... The hard part is finding an accurate and fair way of including it. Don't give up on your other exercise, but count what you do! Changing your activity level in your profile would also work, but since it's only a short period of your day I would count it in the exercise category (cardio) if it was me. When you include it in your profile there's an assumption by the program that this is your energy level for more than 50% of your day .... If you did this job FT then I would adjust my energy level in the profile, and the program would adjust your cal count based on the info ... For a couple hours it can be included like housework.

KIM
  • queenmedusa
    queenmedusa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I would totally count it as exercise! My job involves sitting on my butt in front of a computer but if I was moving I'd count it! You're burning calories whether you're getting paid for it or not :laugh:
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    hmmm looks like a split vote lol but I think they are both right! If this is something new to you then it is excercise but after a while your body will get used to the movement and you won't be getting the same burn your getting now. So just be aware if you are counting it as your excercise keep your settings at sedentary and add the work to your Excercise Log BUT after a little while change your stting to the next one up and do something else for your excercise. You will only be cheating yourself otherwise. I cleaned houses for most of my 20's and it did keep me in better physical shape than my current desk job for sure but if I had excercised on top of cleaning I would have been waaaay better off!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yes, agreed.... if you set your activity level as "sedentary", then yes, log it as exercise. If you set your level as anything above that, then don't log it.

AND... I highly recommend getting a heart rate monitor so you can get a better estimate of the calories you burn during your exercise.
  • JustBeckyV
    Options
    You could not count it and see how your weight loss is going. If you seem to be losing too much to quick then adjust accordingly. That's what I would do.
  • moonbeam420
    Options
    I would count it but eventually your body gets used to everyday movements...like me. I'm a waitress and literally walk mile upon miles a day...and still have that damn tire around my belly. So you'll probably see some results but eventually your body will plateau. :(
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    There's seems to be a huge difference on what some count as a workout on here nowadays. It used to be cardio as in something that you'd do that you'd be out of breath same as if you were running/jogging doing a work out video etc.

I'm tired when I'm done cleaning but my workouts are no where NEAR what my cleaning HR would run, I don't count my cleaning, that's an everyday or every other day occurence included in my daily activity allotment.

It's funny to me to hear ppl now asking if pushing a grocery cart (empty) across the parking lot to the return cart deal can be counted etc. etc.. Sure it can, but WHY? You can count anything you want but come on now, it's not like it's a workout and I believe that's what adding in excercise on this site is all about. Or did I miss a memo?:tongue::wink:

Walking to the mailbox is excercise, so is pulling a shirt over my head but daily movement to me is not truly excercise unless it's raising your HR.

But to each his own I guess :flowerforyou:
    We probably all have our things we count differently. I know long ago when I first started on these sites taking a tour of the gym was cardio for me, now NO it's not. LOL

I think in time we all figure out what REAL excercise is and realize by counting every move we make it's not gonna help us.

Becca:heart:
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count it. I would just change my activity level.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count it. I would just change my activity level.
    simple, to the point! LOVE IT!:laugh:
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Options

Erm, no. It's cleaning. Not running.
    Even if you did want to log it, there would be no reliable way of measuring the calorie burn. And before various Americans cry USE A HEART RATE MONITOR, I should point out that not only are they flawed for measuring normal exercise, they are completely useless for measuring something like cleaning where your heart rate barely rises.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Erm, no. It's cleaning. Not running.
    Even if you did want to log it, there would be no reliable way of measuring the calorie burn. And before various Americans cry USE A HEART RATE MONITOR, I should point out that not only are they flawed for measuring normal exercise, they are completely useless for measuring something like cleaning where your heart rate barely rises.

I disagree. If it's something that is raising your heartrate, I'd count it. Certain types of cleaning can raise your heart rate enough to count as exercise, especially if you're not used to the work. I never count light housework, but when it comes to things that leave me breathless or drenched in sweat, I definitely count it. Once you get used to the new level of activity and it no longer is taxing on you, then I'd just raise your activity level in your settings. :)
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't log it, I would consider it a freebie as in keeping active and burning the calories.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    tsk when it double posts it really irritates me! :explode:
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    absolutely count it. If in the exercise database house cleaning is in there why would you not count it? Because it is your job? If your job is an an aerobics instructor would you not say you are exercising just because it is your job?!