choosing martial arts classes

Options
i need to learn self defense, but want more than just a class at the y.
local gym has several classes for beginners, how choose the best to start?

real martial arts classes and they train mma fighters too.

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Talk to the gym. If it's a martial arts gym, they most likely won't let you into any random class. If it's a regular gym, talk to the staff and ask for a recommendation. You didn't mention what classes they offer, so it's hard to offer advice.
  • turboterie
    turboterie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do you know anything about the different styles of martial arts there are? If not, I recomend doing some research to find a style that interestes you.

I did ITF Taekwon Do for 3 years and am on a hiatus now due to health issues but will be going back. What keeps me going back is that I really enjoy it a lot and get a sense of accomplishment from practicing.

If your only goal is to learn self defense then maybe just a self defense class will meet your need. If you want to go beyond self defense then martial arts will rock your world.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Muay Thai with some ground work. Good muay thai will teach a LOT of clinching. Bad muay thai is american kickboxing with some knees thrown in.
  • alexnguyen78665
    alexnguyen78665 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Self-defense is arguably more about risk avoidance and conflict resolution study. I would suggest you read more from authors like Rory Miller if SD is what you really want.

If you really mean that you want to train physically some skills that will increase your physical fitness while offering some useful combat skills, I'd suggest something like Krav Maga that is simple, straight to the point, and has a focus on physical fitness.

For the sake of disclosure, I've trained in many traditional martial arts and hold black belts in aikido, karate, and taekwondo.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i agree with the others - figure out what you want the class to accomplish. then research different styles of martial arts.

i have done karate and judo, my sister has black belts in aikido, judo and jiu jitsu. for self defence, i'd recommend aikido. i didn't do judo long enough to see any practical advantage, and my karate teachers were quite honest about self defence: running will be your best option 9 times out of 10 - it did give me great self confidence though. (talking about self confidence: when witnessing a gang of teens getting into a fight at a train station, my one sister was about to butt in and tell them off, then the other one shushed her, saying she might take on four or five of them, but not all - yeah, she was serious about that.)
    if you expect to compete in your chosen sport, just know aikido doesn't do tournaments.

if you have a chance to sit in and watch a class, that might be a good idea. you'll see the training style and attitude. content of the lesson may appear a bit strange or boring (some movements have to be practiced over and over to become reflexive), but there's a lot to be said for teachers with attention to detail, respect and humor.
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    This is an extremely loaded question................

If you're looking for a self defense place and then saying they must train mma fighters - well you're gonna have a bad time.

For self defense look into a place that offers JKD (jeet kun do), aikido, Silat, Kali, Muay Thai, and ground work.

Mma fighters have a different skill set - its not street based it's ring based - it's mostly for working out and fighting fighting. They're amazing but they're focused on only fighting in the ring. If that's not your thing i would look for a good technical school.
  • concreteangel418
    Options
    dont expect to compete. want great workout and street skills . i have none.
    self confidence from lifting.
  • alexnguyen78665
    alexnguyen78665 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    dont expect to compete. want great workout and street skills . i have none.
    self confidence from lifting.

That's Krav Maga to a tee. Check out one of the centers in your area. They also frequently offer women's classes for those who are a little anxious about being in mixed classes.
  • concreteangel418
    Options
    i love to wt train with guys, don't mind coed
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    As someone who has been in martial arts since age 15 I will say this-

Martial Arts is not a work out or cardio extensive unless sparring.

It is also only good for self defence if you practice it till it becomes second nature.

With that, if you are looking for a work out I suggest Muay Thai or Kyokushinkai. Or perhaps a kick boxing class offered.

For an art- Wing Chun (Kung Fu) or Aikido. Some sword classes are fun and while not feeling like a work out- find your arms are sore the next day. If you're interested in that look into Shenkindo.

Good luck!