Breadless recipes?

Options
Hi everyone - I was wondering if folks could make suggestions on sandwich and meal ideas that are free of bread? I have a wheat allergy, which makes it really tough to eat a lot of my favorite kinds of food, like pizza and lasagna. Most especially, I can't eat sandwiches right now, and I've heard that lettuce can make for interesting sandwich wraps. But is there anything else out there that can be substituted or used? Any recipes or even links to other sites would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Have a look at www.proteinpow.com - Anna has some recipes for non-wheat "breads" on there.

HTH
  • Princessxrose
    Princessxrose Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    look up cauliflower pizza crust
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I have coeliac disease so no bread for me and I'l use lettuces leaves instead to make a sandwich.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    The inability to have bread will get easier the more you do it. I don't even notice having a hamburger without a bun because I've been eating them that way for awhile. The more you do it, the more you won't feel the need for it.
  • Steampunknoelle
    Options
    Right now, the loss of bread is pretty hard I'll admit, so I'm looking forward to no longer feeling the loss of it in my life. I'm going to try the lettuce wrap tomorrow. And thank you for pointing me to Protein Pow, dlegros. Already looking at the brown rice and the cauliflower pizza crust that Princessxrose suggested. I didn't realize there were that many replacements for bread, lol.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I alternate between rice cakes and corn tortillas. There are gluten free breads and bread mixes that are "OK", but pricey and "not quite right" for sandwiches (tend to be crumbly)
  • barbaradetz
    barbaradetz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    try ezekiel bread' Wegmans has it in the frozen health food section. Its not made from wheat so it doesn't make one a fattie:-)
  • Steampunknoelle
    Options
    I don't know why I didn't think of rice cakes! That might make an interesting replacement. I love lettuce, love it on sandwiches and salads and even pizza. It doesn't do so well for a sandwich for me, however. I used to eat rice cakes as a child like they were going out of style! Thank you :D

The ezekiel bread, I'm afraid I can't touch. It's definitely good for me, but my mother lives with me and is on a sulfer free diet. So she buys this often for herself. It's odd but this kind of bread nauseates me and I can't figure out why.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You can also use seaweed wraps or rice wraps. I usually find them at the Korean market.
  • optimisticShark
    optimisticShark Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    One of my friend has gluten (wheat) allergy and he makes bread by mixing oat flour and gram flour, as both are healthy. You can use corn flour as well.

When I get bored of wheat bread, I take 2 cups of gram flour, add warm water to it to make a semi-thick paste and mix some chopped vegetables along with chillies or jalapeno's (as I like it spicy) + some salt, turmeric powder and other spices you have. I add coriander powder and cumin seeds powder. Set it aside for 25-30 mins and then make pan cakes out of it. :)
  • emilyjessi
    Options
    Try looking for gluten free brands! I am celiac and my favorite brands for bread are Udis and Glutino also if your looking for a good on the run snack to keep in your purse look for Larabars! There are so many different flavors and are gluten free!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    There's a wraps/burritos/salad chain near my office that has started advertising collard greens as an option to replace the flat bread or tortilla or whatever it is they ordinarily use for the wraps - I would think collards (or kale) would make a lot sturdier wrap than most lettuces.

Can you have corn? You could make cornmeal pancakes, and either roll up your fillings inside one or sandwich them between two.

Or you could just put all the fillings in a bowl with salad greens or rice or beans, or use your sandwich fillings to top a baked potato...