Must Haves for at Home Fitness...

Options

Replies

• fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Fitball, yoga mat, yoga blocks, yoga strap and dumbbells.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I do a blend of dumbbell training and bodyweight training (which I'm kind of new to).

I have a pair of 25-lb adjustable dumbbells that I get a lot of use out of, a physioball (used for some types of push ups and core work), a yoga mat, a couple of resistance bands, and fitnessblender.com.

I'm in the market for a medicine ball, a speed rope, and a pull up bar.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    How do you guys find the motivation to workout at home?!?! Do people really use DVDs to workout? For me its just to easy to press pause and stop working out.

Need help and advice! Thanks!

I LOVE working out at home. Not that it's always easy to get motivated. Usually, on days that I work, I come home and immediately change into my workout clothes and fire up Fitnessblender.

On the weekends, I get up in the morning and immediately put on my workout clothes and head out the door to run, or head into the living room to work out.

Yes, there are times when I want to just hit PAUSE, or STOP. I just don't. Mind over matter. The way I see it, I started the workout, I might as well finish it.

I like that I don't have to commute to a gym. It's just as easy for me to get sidetracked and end up shopping at Target.

I also like that I get to take a shower in my own bathroom after I work out.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I wish I had incorporated heavy lifting into my routine sooner! Right now I dead lift and squat 130# which is all of the weight I have at home, I have additional weight plates on my birthday wish list! I have a barbell, dumbells, and a weight bench. I also have resistance bands (the good ones that can be used for assisted pulls ups etc) a jump rope, a stability ball and boxing hand wraps and gloves (bag is at the gym though--dreaming of one for home!). I always run outside because to me running on a treadmill is barbaric torture lol. I use my BOB jogging stroller a lot to take the kiddo out!

DVD's do not and would not motivate me, other than for form instruction.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    How do you guys find the motivation to workout at home?!?! Do people really use DVDs to workout? For me its just to easy to press pause and stop working out.

I LOVE working out at home. Not that it's always easy to get motivated. Usually, on days that I work, I come home and immediately change into my workout clothes and fire up Fitnessblender.

On the weekends, I get up in the morning and immediately put on my workout clothes and head out the door to run, or head into the living room to work out.

Yes, there are times when I want to just hit PAUSE, or STOP. I just don't. Mind over matter. The way I see it, I started the workout, I might as well finish it.

I like that I don't have to commute to a gym. It's just as easy for me to get sidetracked and end up shopping at Target.

I also like that I get to take a shower in my own bathroom after I work out.

^^yes

Plus if I make a commitment I don't like to break it. For example I planned on doing 30ds and I announced to all my friends here. I decided on doing it on the weekdays and resting on the weekend. I'm accountable and don't want to be a quitter. Sometimes setting up a calendar works. I prefer working out at home. I actually push harder.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    We've started putting together a small collection of dumbells as they're needed (right now we have 3's, 5's, 8's and 10's plus a 32lb kettlebell). A jump rope, and a workout mat, and a pullup bar (the ones that fit in doorways). That's all we've needed so far, and we're doing just fine.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

For me, working out at home requires a lot less motivation than going to the gym.

When I wanted to go to the gym, I had to make sure I was somewhat presentable and not too stinky, even though I'd be a sweaty smelly trainwreck by the end, plus spend 20-30 minutes driving each way, so since I was spending almost an hour driving, I didn't want to spend less time than that exercising, so it automatically took two hours out of my day.

If I want to lift weights, all I have to do is go upstairs to where my bench is located. Click on the fan, turn on the tv, warm up and lift. I can scoop the cat boxes, do a little reading, check my email, play Candy Crush or put a load of dishes/laundry in their respective washers between sets. If I want to run, I just need to put on my shoes and go outside. No commute, and no one will care if I look or smell bad before I start. :laugh:
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I love working out at home, I have a recumbant exercise bike, a exercise ball, some dumbbells, a kettlebell , resistance bands, a yoga mat, ankle weights and some exercise dvds though I usually use youtube
  • AnnieMitten
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all for the replies! This is giving me a ton of motivation. I have no chance of getting to the gym with a busy schedule and the family to take care of, but you all have shown me that its certainly possible to keep a good exercise schedule at home.

Also, I just found this really neat website called Wello that lets you workout at home with a live personal trainer over the internet using a webcam. Thought the folks in this thread might be really interested. If I do a workout with Wello, I'll report back about how it went.

Thanks again!
  • Event_Horizon975
    Event_Horizon975 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I love weights but.....

Heavy Bag
    Speed Bag
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    jump rope

ten minutes of jumping rope is the cardiovascular equivalent of running an eight-minute mile
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty large home gym. I have a treeadmill, bowflex, rowing machine, stationary bike and a nice selection of dumbells.Less than $500. I get alll of my equipment from garage sales. If I pay full price I feel like I've been cheated. Most people buy fitness equipment and almost never use it. So almost everything is like new. You just have to wipe off the dust.
  • SteveSprawl
    SteveSprawl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A pull up bar and a Jungle Gym XT (a suspension trainer similar to TRX, but doesn't cost as much).

And better than TRX in IMO.
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Must haves will depend on your goals & what you enjoy doing. I have a few things in the basement that i use regularly (kettlebells, bike on a trainer, etc) but they're not "must haves". When i decided to start using a barbell instead of dumbells to lift weights, i figured that a "must have" was a power rack. I picked up one for under 500 bucks. It's a must have in my books for safety reasons. I figure if i'm going to be pushing myself on exercises where i could crush my skull or chest (i.e. no spotter), then this was a necessity.

I've had it for about 3 months, it's been good to me. I can safely drop or lower the weight onto the safeties if it gets to be too much. I figure that's a good thing.
  • aharper84
    aharper84 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think that most of the things that I have at home have already been mentioned, but here is my list.

1)dumbells
    2) a couple of kettlebells
    3)adjustable bench
    4)barbell and plates
    5) jump rope
    6) pull up bar

I'm probably going to add a stability ball, but you really don't need that much for a home gym. You can get really awesome cardio just going 20 mins of bodyweight HIIT. Someone has already mentioned fitnessblender.com. They have some really awesome workouts that are a variety of different types of training. That's a good place to start if you aren't used to putting together your own routines.
  • jangier
    jangier Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My must have at home things are: treadmill, big blue ball, free weights, mirror, and resistance band. We have a bow flex, but I never use it, seems to complicated so it just takes up space and collects dust. If I get bored, sometimes I'll try a video to get some new ideas or head to pinterest for a new work out to try. Good luck to you!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

that's not the workouts problem..that's your motivations problem...the only way to nip that in the bud is to not press pause.
  • fbranch7
    fbranch7 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Xenophonica
    Xenophonica Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Jillian Micheal's 30DS. I will also frequently rent workout DVD's from my library, and if I really must have them, I buy them. However, I got away with re-checking out a DVD for nearly 3 months because no one was on the wait list for it. My own body weight is used mostly, though I do have a pair of 3lb hand weights and a couple resistance tubes.

And recently, I scored a free set of weights (barbell and dumbbell) from my local craigslist. WIN.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

that's not the workouts problem..that's your motivations problem...the only way to nip that in the bud is to not press pause.

I can only make it though about 10 minutes of Jillian Michale's DVD then I'm pretty much spent. Equipment wise all I have at home right now is a foam roller, and a running roller stick.