win-win situation?

Options
Male, 19yo, 5'8, 180 pounds (currently)
Hello everyone,

So after 4 months of dieting, I'm going back to college.
Studies are hard so I won't have time to make my own food and follow the "healthy" daily routine I've been following. Eating outside is my only choice.

I'll definitely go over my maintenance calories, but I was thinking it could be a win-win situation.

I was thinking of starting to lift weights AND/OR do cardio.

I would prefer to lift weights (I can gain muscle on a calorie surplus), but would I accumulate fat instead of building muscle if I eat "junk" in surplus?
That is, does it matter in regards to muscle gain the kind of food I eat?

Any help would be highly appreciated! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• aalhasan
    aalhasan Posts: 104
    Options
    Anyone?
  • sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It seems you are making excuses to eat a crappy diet. So you have to eat out more, why can't you still eat in a deficit? It doesn't matter WHAT you eat, it's HOW MUCH you eat. To answer your question though, if you are wanting to build lean muscle mass, it's ideal to eat 1g of protein per 1 Lb of body weight. If you are just eating crap foods and lifting, you are going to gain mostly fat.
  • aalhasan
    Options
    I would try to stay in a deficit but it's hard since foods served in restaurants are generally high in calories.
    Thanks!
  • sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Go for food choices with higher protein content and you can still control your portions. Good luck...
  • Coie77
    Coie77 Posts: 2
    Options
    Why can't you pack healthy food from home?
  • aalhasan
    Options
    My home is on the other side of earth.