How do I turn leafy greens from "ugh" to "meh"?

Options
For most of my life, I never ate leafy greens. I don't enjoy eating them, but I need to add more into my diet to reach my goals.

Right now, whenever I have a salad, it's usually hearts of romaine, a few cherry tomatoes and a homemade white wine vinaigrette (http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/white-wine-vinaigrette-10000001608782/index.html). The dressing is nice but as a whole, it's a boring salad. I also eat spinach the same way. Again, very boring.

Do any of you have recommendations of recipes, cookbooks or blogs that can help me find ways of making leafy greens, well, at least palatable? I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    enjoy with a nice bottle of wine,,,, or 2.
  • GetNew81
    GetNew81 Posts: 26
    Options
    LOL Great advice, except I don't drink alcohol. :-)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    kale and spinach smoothie! green machines. add banana, apple juice, blueberries, yogurt, whatever you want . They are delicious!
  • HealthierFoodie
    HealthierFoodie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Smoothies! I have spinach and kale in my smoothies, made with a NutriBullet, every morning and you can't taste the greens at all. Or try adding more fun stuff to your salads like nuts, seeds, hard boiled eggs, fruit, etc.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Hidden Valley Ranch dressing makes everything better.

I would take a 30 min walk to burn the cals and have ranch dressing if my salad was that boring.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    i'm no help. I hate lettuce. So I eat other veggies instead.
  • leaellenj
    leaellenj Posts: 38
    Options
    Blend them into a smoothie!

90% of the time I loathe salads. To get more greens I blend kale, spinach or arugula into my morning smoothies which go something like this-

Big handful o' greens
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    Protein powder or 2 tbsp peanut butter
    1/2 banana
    1/2 cup berries
    Ice

I mix up my fruits depending on what I have or what sounds good. The smoothie usually looks like muck but it tastes delicious!
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite salads is greens, grilled chicken, slivered almonds, mandarin oranges, and strawberries

Another is grilled chicken, crumble a few funions and a little BBQ sauce mixed into ranch dressing with mixed greens

Third favorite is greens with grilled chicken (are you seeing a pattern here hehe) FRESH chunky salsa and feta cheese

I would love to see some new salad recipes too as I seem to eat those three or a taco salad as my main "green" recipes
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I like adding strawberries and walnuts to spinach salad. Grilling or lightly sautéing changes the flavor also. And of course everything tastes better with bacon but be careful how much.
  • bennzz61
    bennzz61 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try mixing it up a little. I prefer arugala for my salad greens. They are a little bitter and last all week if I put a piece of paper towel in their mix so that they don't go mushy. Try adding in some dried cranberries or craisins as they are called today. Also, I like to dice up a few dried plums/prunes. I also like to add red onions, kalamata olives, brocoli florets and other veggies. The sweet berries or prunes and the salty olives along with any hot jalapeno peppers, etc., make for a nice contrast.

You can also add arugala to sandwiches or mix it into a hot pasta dish, it won't go limp right away.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Wrap bacon around them.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Try juicing! I hate salad and find that juicing lets me put all those nasty greens into a drink form (with an apple for some sweet!)

Failing that, I really enjoy mixing spinach in with pastas or Indian curries. You could also try a kale salad with sesame seeds, some oil and vinegar! Good to go.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    bacon fat
  • Event_Horizon975
    Event_Horizon975 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Blend them into a smoothie!

90% of the time I loathe salads. To get more greens I blend kale, spinach or arugula into my morning smoothies which go something like this-

Big handful o' greens
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    Protein powder or 2 tbsp peanut butter
    1/2 banana
    1/2 cup berries
    Ice

I mix up my fruits depending on what I have or what sounds good. The smoothie usually looks like muck but it tastes delicious!

Exactly! If you throw a big handful of spinach into a smoothie, I swear you will NOT taste it at all but get all the great benefits from it since it's still raw. You can do the same with a lot of other veggies too in a smoothie - some alter the flavor a bit but they're still palatable & it's fun to experiment (btw - I only use a blender not a juicer)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    maybe put some more stuff in the salad...yeah...lettuce or greens and tomatoes would get pretty flippin' boring. I'd personally suggest throwing some poultry, meat or fish in there and getting some protein first of all. Then some colorful veggies like sweet peppers...maybe some radish or something. Add some cucumber and a few kalamata olives...maybe a little goat cheese. I would just want to shoot myself in the head just eating lettuce and tomatoes...there's just not enough nutrition there.
  • Jlbland123
    Jlbland123 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you meant salads exclusively, but I like to use integrate leafy greens into lots of different foods. For example, I add spinach to egg white omelets or scrambled eggs. Instead of normal lettuce, I use leafy greens on sandwiches. I can usually get at least a cup or two in this way. I am also a fan of green smoothies. When blended with something like pineapple or key lime juice, I find that the spinach, kale, etc. is very manageable, and even tasty. I know salads can get boring after awhile, but maybe you can try adding the greens to more unexpected items for some variety.
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Buy a NutriBullet and drink them. I drink 2 -3 cups of leafy greens a day. Just add some frozen mango or strawberry and you wont taste a thing.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Heated pan, olive oil, minced garlic. Add greens, saute til wilted.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I love leafies!

But a really yummy salad is some canned tuna with salsa on top. Very good stuff!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    The lettuce / greens are just a canvas. You can be super creative with salads and make them taste great. Of course you'll need to account for the calories of anything you add. Use any one or a combination of these on your salad:

Add 3 oz diced boneless, skinless chicken breast (grilled or boiled)
    Add sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds for added protein and crunch.
    Use 1/4 of a ripe avocado instead of dressing.
    Add drained, rinsed black beans.
    Use salsa instead of dressing.
    Add a tablespoon of dried cranberries.
    Use more veggies like carrots, cucumbers, beets, peppers, chopped broccoli, etc.
    An over easy egg makes a great salad dressing.
    Add diced, boiled egg.
    Try mixing greens for different textures and flavors. I like a combination of romaine, arugula and spinach.
    Add 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese.
    Add diced or sliced apple.
    Add berries.