better for cardio, walk or elliptical?

Options
jerber160
jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
this is just a question for discussion, not one I'm gonna use to base an exercise plan on.. I walked today for an hour and a half, (I was getting my car inspected and the other choice was to sit there and read magazines and become disgusted by the morning TV) average heart rate 118....burned. 716 calories according to HRM. Usually I do elliptical for about 40 minutes... heart rate is usually in the 135-145 range,, sometimes spiking to 150ish depending on the song that's on the ipod. Is one more beneficial to cardiac health than the other?? just curious..

Replies

• GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I have no idea but I do both because mentally I get bored doing the same thing over and over again. But usually I do HIIT on the elliptical and walk for an active rest day. I do know elliptical HIIT has helped my running speed far more than walking does.
  • leaellenj
    leaellenj Posts: 38
    Options
    It depends. If you're walking, you have some natural resistance. If you get on the elliptical and don't put any resistance on the machine, you really aren't doing much work, the machine is doing it for you. Just because you're spinning your legs around and around really fast, doesn't mean you're getting a workout.

I don't think there's a set in stone answer but given the option, I'd always walk. I don't care for the elliptical.

Just my 2 cents.
  • lvcruzr
    lvcruzr Posts: 1
    Options
    Good choice to walk rather then sit. As for the better of the two....If your goal is to burn more calories per minute of exercise, then the elliptical will usually win over walking. However, elliptical,walking, running, whatever are all about the same as from a cardio standpoint at its most basic form. Which translated means it is more important to concentrate on time vs efficency of the exercise. The body will only start burning it's fat reserves after about 45-60 minutes of aerobic exercise, so 90 minutes of walking is better then 50 minutes of elliptical (same calories burned approx), the time spent exercising will determine which calories in your body will be used. Keep it up, good luck!
  • jerber160
    Options
    It depends. If you're walking, you have some natural resistance. If you get on the elliptical and don't put any resistance on the machine, you really aren't doing much work, the machine is doing it for you. Just because you're spinning your legs around and around really fast, doesn't mean you're getting a workout.

I don't think there's a set in stone answer but given the option, I'd always walk. I don't care for the elliptical.

Just my 2 cents.
    really? I figured as long as my heart rate was up 'good things' were happening. although I get your point,, biking vs stationary bike gets muscles going.. I never use resistance on elliptical tho. cos I figured getting my heart rate up was good..thx
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    As far as cardio health goes, they're fairly equal. Of course it depends on what exactly you're doing - how fast you're walking, terrain, resistance on elliptical, swinging arms or not in either activity, etc. In your case, I would actually say the elliptical is the winner as you heart rate gets higher.

However, if we're talking overall physical fitness, walking is definitely the winner. The movement engages stabiliziers (improve balance/coordination) and the impact of foot falls promotes bone stengthening. While the elliptical might engage the stabiliziers depending on how you're using it, there is little to no impact as your feet remain planted the whole time.

P.S. I would highly recommend increasing the resistance on your elliptical. It's a common misconception that going faster is better. While working harder is actually your best bet. Increasing the resistance will also get your heart rate up because you're working harder. Think of it like the difference between walking a flat surface and walking uphill. Your heart rate will increase while walking flat because you're moving but it will REALLY increase when you go uphill because you're essentially fighting gravity to lift yourself up that hill which takes much more muscular effort. Same with increased resistance, your muscle are working harder to push through that same motion.

P.P.S. If your elliptical doesn't have moving arms, I would also high recommend trying to swing your arms anyway. This really engages your stabilizers, especially your core and will also help elevate your heart rate. Just be careful - wouldn't want anyone hurting themselves!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    ...The body will only start burning it's fat reserves after about 45-60 minutes of aerobic exercise, ...

Not true. The time will vary from individual to individual and is also dependent on what & when you last ate. The exact time cannot be stated as a definite. (If it was 45-60mins I'd be putting weight on not losing it as I rarely have time for more than 30mins of exercise and eat back most (sometimes all) of my exercise calories.)

Article here: http://health.ninemsn.com/whatsgoodforyou/theshow/694570/how-much-exercise-do-you-need-before-you-start-burning-fat
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Interesting article, thanks for posting the link.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    As far as cardiovascular health is concerned, there's really not a whole lot of difference. I'm partial to walking though...it's a better overall exercise and "natural".
  • jerber160
    Options
    Interesting article, thanks for posting the link.
    he had me hooked until the crack about pepperoni pizza.
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options
    ...The body will only start burning it's fat reserves after about 45-60 minutes of aerobic exercise, ...

Not true. The time will vary from individual to individual and is also dependent on what & when you last ate. The exact time cannot be stated as a definite. (If it was 45-60mins I'd be putting weight on not losing it as I rarely have time for more than 30mins of exercise and eat back most (sometimes all) of my exercise calories.)

Article here: http://health.ninemsn.com/whatsgoodforyou/theshow/694570/how-much-exercise-do-you-need-before-you-start-burning-fat

Also, even if you aren't burning fat at the specific time you are doing the exercise, you are burning calories. Eventually, your body is going to need to get them from somewhere so if you are eating at a calorie deficit then you will burn fat. Maybe not at the same time as the exercise but still, because of the exercise.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    My first thought was whichever one you're going to do the most of.

After that, and with no scientific back up... walking outside over walking on a treadmill or using and elliptical, but not so much difference between treadmill and elliptical. Also take into consideration the resistence/incline used as well as whether the elliptical has arms to engage your arms as well.
  • shirleylmartin
    shirleylmartin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I would go walking over elliptical, but that's just for me because my heart rate does not go up as much on the elliptical as it does for me walking. But everyone is different.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much work you are doing. Walking is good for general life/health/psychological benefits, but not great for calorie burning unless you really speed up or add hills.

I find it very easy to get my heart rate up on the elliptical. I increase the incline and go fast. I use it for HIIT. I use walking for activity.

But don't forget your strength training, that is important as well.