Is this common??

i started going to the gym about 2 months back and found that no matter how hard i workout i dont sweat!! Its boiling hot here today and i am doing a workout where i should rightfully be dripping yet nothing! i go bright red and feel like my head will explode and thats it! and i mean bright red :-( anyone else have this and is it a problem or just me being wierd??

Replies

• FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    I don't sweat. It is a problem at times, because I overheat and wind up with a headache.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Are you well enough hydrated? As in really well hydrated?
    What happens when you go to a sauna? (I find sometimes going to the sauna helps 'teach' the body how to sweat properly - be careful though, if you can't sweat it's a bad idea to stay in there)
  • Darkefairie
    Darkefairie Posts: 12 Member
    yes i keep very well hydrated and have never been to a sauna in my life!! i hadnt noticed it before as i never did anything to cause sweating!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,656 Member
    i started going to the gym about 2 months back and found that no matter how hard i workout i dont sweat!! Its boiling hot here today and i am doing a workout where i should rightfully be dripping yet nothing! i go bright red and feel like my head will explode and thats it! and i mean bright red :-( anyone else have this and is it a problem or just me being wierd??

OP you could have a condition called "Anhidrosis".

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/men/sweating-odor/anhidrosis.htm

Unfortunately, sweating is the body's way of cooling itself down and if you are not sweating, you are not cooling down.

You might want to visit your GP, to find out for sure.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    I used to know this person who had that disease where you dont sweat ever.. I would bring this up to a doctor.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    I don't know if it's common and I don't know if it is as big an issue as it sounds. I'm not saying this to be insensitive, I'm saying it because my body used to be the same way. I would turn magenta, verging on purple and I would only have a slight "glow" on my skin. Never had sweat running down my face, back, arms, etc. I just figured it was genetics and let it go at that. I would get frustrated because I could go walking with a friend at lunch and she would be pouring sweat and I wasn't even warm. As time has gone by and I have gotten fitter that is starting to change. 2 weeks ago I was excited (as sad as that sounds) I managed to get a sweat spot on the back of my shirt after running/walking.

If you aren't getting ANY dampness on your skin bring it up to your doc. If you are I say keep an eye on it but you might find as you get fitter you sweat habits will change almost overnight.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    In the meantime, dampen a rag or a hat and wrap it around your head - it will help keep you cool while you figure out what the real issue is?
  • Bellamay59
    Bellamay59 Posts: 10 Member
    I wouldn't think so, like the others said, make sure you are staying hydrated and if you still aren't sweating, you should talk to your doctor, that would be the best thing to do to make sure all is well with your health. Keep up the good work!
  • mrsleonard12
    mrsleonard12 Posts: 66 Member
    I am in the same boat. I never sweat, ever. No matter how hard I work out or how hot I get. It is a little disappointing, but I don't really mind it. Never thought it was a problem.