Pregnant & Warrior Dash

Options
Hi all! If anyone has run the warrior dash, could you please give me an outline of the type of obstacles involved? I've been signed up for the warrior dash since January, and I'm really excited for it...I just found out I'm pregnant on Friday (which I'm over the moon happy about)!! I will be just 5 weeks prego at the time of the race, and I have no idea if it's something I should even attempt, I googled this question and got just as many responses that it's ok as that it's not...so...just wondering if my MFP friends have any advice.

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You'll have a lot of people say this, but please consult your doctor.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    You'll have a lot of people say this, but please consult your doctor.

^^This. Sorry, i'm not a doctor, nor do I know any of your medical history.
  • _namaste_
    _namaste_ Posts: 246
    Options
    My personal advice would be to sit it out this time and look forward to doing it once your baby is in your arms. I worked out during a pregnancy that was not meant to be (had a loss) and couldn't ever shake the wondering if my activity levels contributed... crazy, I know, but I was totally not active during several other pregnancies and have beautiful children to show for all of them. I hope my brutal honestly is OK. I certainly don't mean to offend or anything like that. Happy and healthy 9 months to you! :)
  • Lonarae12
    Lonarae12 Posts: 10
    Options
    Absolutely consult your doctor! As to the obstacles, http://www.warriordash.com/ check out their website, and you can actually click on the location where you are set to compete and they have maps of the course and the obstacles that are there. It is a really fun race and not particularly difficult but it would be a good idea to show your doctor what the obstacles are and then he/she can help you make an informed and safe decision for you and your baby. Oh- and CONGRATULATIONS! :flowerforyou:
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    There's a rope climb up a wall, and another wall you climb up and slide down a poll. Plus basically a giant slip & slide. I've done WD twice and my experiences include: my friend got to the top of the rope climb and fell all the way to the ground, a woman sliding down the poll slipped and fell and had to be removed on a back board (that shut the obstacle down - it was after a water obstacle and was seriously slippery), and I went down the slip & slide and rammed into a friend, knocking her down. It's fun, and I love it, but I wouldn't do it pregnant. Or, if you do, you can skip the obstacles that are risky and just chalk it up as a trail run.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what it's like because I haven't done it, but I'd err on the side of caution and sit this out. There are tons of reasons beyond our control that would cause us to lose a baby, I wouldn't want to wonder if it was 'my fault' should something happen randomly or otherwise.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I'm very pro-exercise during pregnancy as long as its something known to you but this would be something I sit out. As always though, consult your physician regarding the risk potential of the obstacles.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    No physician in their right mind would give her the go ahead for this type of race. No shot.
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! My hubby and I did a little more google searching last night and by hearing everyone's input on here, we totally decided this is NOT a risk we're willing to take, so I'll sit this one out - my head is sad, but my heart is glad! :) Anyway! Maybe I'll sign up for a few 5k runs this summer!