Making up for the weekend

Options
This weekend I ate around 3,000 calories over my goal.

What are your thoughts on netting below 1200 a few of the following days to help make up for it? Afterall, your body can't tell time right? Just looking for thoughts on this. Does anyone else do this?

Replies

• sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It's best to just get back on track with your normal deficit.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't, it might encourage you to make a habit of not sticking to your calorie intake over the weekend if you can just keep under eating during the week. It can turn into a vicious cycle quite quickly.
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I do this, it works really well in my opinion. My theory is that over the weekend you revved up your metabolism and it's still working at high levels through the next couple of days, expecting more gluttony. BUT, tricky me, I will usually eat around 1000 calories per day for the next two days, while my metabolism is still really high. When I did this on average every 2 weeks, I'd see great results that week. Loss of 2 lbs a week - and this is someone who is already very close to their goal weight.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    This weekend I ate around 3,000 calories over my goal.

What are your thoughts on netting below 1200 a few of the following days to help make up for it? Afterall, your body can't tell time right? Just looking for thoughts on this. Does anyone else do this?

Don't do it. Just pick yourself up and eat like you normally would. You will probably gain 1-2lbs in water weight but nothing crazy. Just keep it up and don't attempt to net so low.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    It's best to just get back on track with your normal deficit.

This!!! ^^^^
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm a bad example, but I don't ever track on the weekends. (I have multiple reasons, but really, all personal and not worth going into here.) The basic thinking is that if I eat the way I always ate on the weekends and chill out the rest of the time, I should still see a difference-- and I have.

Don't sweat it. In all likelihood, even eating over your calories on a regular day would still land you at a deficit from what you're burning. You may have slowed your progress a little, but that's totally okay-- and "bad days" are worth it to keep you from feeling deprived.
  • FitnessMinx1
    Options
    Don't ever put your body in starvation mode. Do detox and cleanse and get back on track!
  • leaellenj
    leaellenj Posts: 38
    Options
    I'd just try to get back with your normal goal. Eating too little might make you hungry and just getting into that habit can promote bad behavior.
    Your body doesn't really like when you try to play games.
  • Jess6385
    Jess6385 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Whoa, thank you all for the responses!! Seems like the right thing may be to just get back on track with my regular schedule! =) That sounds more fun anyway!
  • nat8199
    nat8199 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would cut out some extra calories for a few days, in fact I am today to make up for last night. A few days (just1-3) of more severely limiting calories will not put you into starvation mode. This definitely isn't something I woul do every week, though.
  • carbons2k
    carbons2k Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I had this same thought. I over ate this weekend by a lot and gained 2 1/2lbs so was thinking of eating less the rest of the week. I decided to eat the same as I normally eat but add a 30 minute morning workout to my routine. By the weekend we'll see what happens.
  • whipsmart10014
    Options
    I agree with the two posters above. Just get back on track with your normal deficit. It happens to everybody :) While you can certainly reduce to 1200 calories for a couple of days, doing so may leave you feeling cranky and set you up for over-consumption the day after.
  • nje444
    nje444 Posts: 62
    Options
    I ate my face off at a weekend on Saturday and loved every minute of it. Because I was hung over Sunday (double fail), I didnt make it to the gym but was mindful of what I ate.
    This morning, I did my best to kick butt at the gym and called it a day.
    If I only ate 1200 calories, I would be hungry, cranky, and sad - and that is no bueno for anyone!
  • nje444
    nje444 Posts: 62
    Options
    By weekend, I meant wedding this weekend.
    Need. Coffee.Soon. :tongue: