I have to fight the BINGE

Options
Hi. Today I have the house to myself as my beautiful husband has taken our two children interstate to visit his parents.

Here is my problem, I have a whole couple of days to myself, and my urge to 'secretly' eat kicks in immediately. Its not that i can't eat what I want infront of family (although generally I make healthy food choices), its that when all is said and done, and I am alone, I want to buy that Black forest gateau and eat as much as I can. Or buy that pack of chocolate biscuits, those deep fried honey chicken meals etc etc

This has been an issue for me for so very long. I am determined not to give in this weekend to it. I want to stay within my 1600 calories on healthy choices. I know I would only be cheating myself and I want this desire to no longer be an option. Help.

Replies

• Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. Every single day, I want to binge, but I know that if I do, I'll feel guilty and most likely will end up either forcing myself to purge or give up and binge even more.

Three important words for this time:

Keep Yourself Busy!

Do anything to keep your mind off food, house work, computer, excersise, any favourite hobbies. It is hard and it may not go away straight away, overtime it will get easier.

Keep reminding yourself why you're doing this, the end result. You've already got a great weight loss so far. Don't let a blip ruin it now.

Well done for your weight loss, and good luck :)
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    i'm no doctor, sounds like emotional eating. call a friend, engage in a hobby, distract yourself, drink plenty of water. ask yourself why are you doing this and if it's worth it.

stay strong. log on here and read success stories.

go for a walk
    get out of the house
    don't buy junk food
  • caseynjason
    caseynjason Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I hear you on the "secret" binging! Sugar cravings are horrible! The first week of not doing any sugar binges is so hard, but actually, the cravings get less and less. I was doubtful, but they really do. And I let myself have a "treat", but not an entire night or day of "treats". I actually have to have any chocolate, candy, or junk out of the house. I don't even bake for my kids anymore, because after they went to bed, I would go crazy on the goodies!!

I remember that this is temporary...not forever. Once we lose the wieght, we will be "maintaining" and thus our calorie allowance will be higher than it is now. Do this for yourself, because the "goodies" will make you temporarily happy, until you feel guilty. Losing weight and getting healthy will be happiness forever!
  • niccup
    Options
    I wish I had an answer for you but I, too, do the same thing. Its a terrible pull too. Like a voice inside that won't go away. I fight it in spurts so it counteracts my progress. I do really well, then binge and ruin it all. Boo! It'll be interesting to see the responses.
  • jkapp100
    Options
    Thanks for those comments, it really does help.

For me, saying it out loud was an achievment in itself....and I am forever greatful for this site to give me that.

I will be strong this weekend. At the moment I know it is all or nothing and I choose nothing for now.

Cheers
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Try thinking of the very hardest thing you have ever done - think about how you did it. You completed whatever it was - what were you thinking when you did it? What kind of supports did you have in place when you did it? What did you need to accomplish it while you were working on it? You have to find the successes in your life and then just follow the same pattern. You have probably even fought the binge successfully before - how did you do it?

You can do this - I promise.

Vickie
  • hwaterhouse
    hwaterhouse Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm fighting similar battles too! I don't even know why I do it half the time. It's like a real exciting treat to have 'whatever I want and however much I want'. I think I also love the feeling of not wanting any more food (ie. stuffed!). I think I get a control kick out of it because I finally choose not to eat.

I listened to a podcast in which the podcaster said "It's fine to treat yourself - if you think filling your body with sugar and fat that you'll have to work off later is a treat..." and I realised that my whole mentality towards eating is a bit off (obviously no surprise).

I hope you survive today OK and this weekend. And if you blow it a bit...try to stop as soon as possible. It all helps in the end :)
  • jkapp100
    Options
    I here you and all the others.

I guess the binge is only part of the battle, its the desire to purge afterwards that I want to be rid off too.
  • Yasmine91
    Options
    It is hard to stop doing it, as it can actually turn into a very dangerous habit. I manage to avoid purging when I know that I am eating healthily.

It is hard to stop, but isn't impossible :smile:
  • jkapp100
    Options
    Eating healthy is the key for me too.....one more night to go.
  • Yasmine91
    Options
    You can do it sweets :smile:

Even if you were to have a blip, tomorrow is another day. pick yourself up and start again.