Overeating/binging everyday

Options
I've been trying to eat healthier lately, not because I have much weight to lose but because my diet consists largely of junk food. However, I keep finding that I will have a week of good days, then will crave something like chocolate or ice cream, and go into a full on binge where I'm eating hundreds and hundreds of calories in one sitting. Then this will go on for several more days. I feel so low and disgusting after a binge but I keep on doing it anyway, because it feels like I go on autopilot and just NEED the food.
(I don't purge afterwards or anything like that)

Can anyone offer any advice with this? It's really getting me down :(

Replies

• Xoe4
    Xoe4 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem and am fighting my way through it. I don't have a fail proof solution but one thing I'm working on is keeping track of how many binge free days I have. Once I get to a certain point I'll reward myself (clothes, movie, etc). Keeps me accountable and looking at where and when I go wrong so I can figure out how to avoid those situations. Keep track of it, just like your food and exercise here, only looking back can you move forward.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating on days where you're NOT binging?

If you're eating way below your BMR on a daily basis, then one way to avoid the urge to binge is to up what you're eating on an average day. For instance, my BMR is about 1400. If I eat 1200 calories every day for 3-4 days, I get so hungry, then I'll binge on stupid things. It's better for me to just eat 1500 every day, if I do that every day, I'm much less likely to binge.
  • Kushy8
    Kushy8 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    What I've found to help most was cutting out straight sugar. I used to eat A LOT of candy. A LOT! Now, I'm not saying I've completely cut out simple carbs. I eat what I like. I do try to get whole grain as often as possible. I cut out candy and switched to sugar free popsicles instead of sugar ones. For me, these simple changes were what started me on a downward trend with my weight. If simple carbs/simple sugars are an issue for you, you may find these tweaks effective for you too.

My understanding is that when you eat simple sugars, your blood sugar goes up fast and then crashes just as fast, causing you to feel hungry sooner. By eliminating, or greatly reducing, your intake of simple sugars/carbs, you reduce this effect and are less hungry and therefore eat less.

Keep in mind, too, though that completely eliminating anything can be counterproductive because when you break down and DO eat the eliminated item, you will be very likely to overdo it.

Hope this helps!
  • moonlit12
    moonlit12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear that you struggle with this... so many do. As a Personal Trainer I would suggest that you monitor your average calorie intake over the course of the week to determine if you are in fact eating more than you should in that time. I would also suggest that your cravings for "junk food" are normal, and that by focusing on not giving in to those urges you may overcome them- try taking a brisk walk or get engaged in some other physical/social activity when you have an urge to take your mind off your craving and rev up your metabolism. Finally, I would suggest that you evaluate the intensity of your workouts- working too hard or not hard enough can effect how much your body craves calories.
    As a Licensed Professional Counselor, I would suggest that you monitor your hormonal changes over the course of 3 months using a program like MyMonthlyCycle.com in order to see if there is a link between your hormones and your cravings. I would also keep a food journal of some kind that includes a place to write so that you can monitor your thoughts and emotions for 3 months to see if there is a link there. Finally, you may benefit from being a part of a small group of folks that are similar to you in their struggles or by brief solution-focused therapy designed to assist you in overcoming your cravings.
    I hope that helps :o) Keep your chin up and remind yourself that you are trying to do better everyday!
  • msweetamy
    msweetamy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had this problem big time when I started my diet, and still do somewhat. What I discovered is actually pretty simple.

1. Don't wait until your craving is full blown, then the only thing that will even start to satisfy it will be a binge.

2. keep the lowest calorie equivalent (peanut butter - peanuts in shell, chocolate - giardelli dark chocolate squares, ice cream - $1 individuals or "Sweet Freedom" by Blue Bunny) on hand. If you have to go to the store to buy it when the craving hits, you know you'll buy the high calorie bulk bag. When you START having the craving, eat as little as you can from your lower calorie stash.

3. if possible, make you WORK for it - peanuts in shells, air popped popcorn (1/4 cup kernels each popping) instead of microwave, individually wrapped snack size candy bars - you're less likely to go into auto-pilot AND you'll eat less because you get sick of having to work for it. It's easy to go into auto-pilot and eat the whole bag if it's there. The landfill won't thank you, but your body will.

4. HIDE your stash! Put it somewhere you don't normally look (like the top shelf of a cupboard you barely ever open). You know it's there if you crave it, but you might not THINK of craving it if you don't see it..

5. If it's not pre-packaged, weigh EVERY portion in a bowl before you eat it. NEVER take the whole bag and sit down with it. A. it takes more time, B. you are more likely to stick to portions rather than eat the whole bag.

Your "stash" will change over time. My old craving was candy bars. Now my craving is air popped popcorn. It's at least healthier, but it's still bad to binge.
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating on days where you're NOT binging?

If you're eating way below your BMR on a daily basis, then one way to avoid the urge to binge is to up what you're eating on an average day. For instance, my BMR is about 1400. If I eat 1200 calories every day for 3-4 days, I get so hungry, then I'll binge on stupid things. It's better for me to just eat 1500 every day, if I do that every day, I'm much less likely to binge.

What this person said. If you open your diary or give us some stats like age,sex, weight we can figure out your TDEE so we can see what your BMR is. Might be that you're not getting enough to eat per day.

Eta: If you are not trying to lose weight, maybe it's psychological and you might benefit seeing a counselor.
  • poppyj77
    poppyj77 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you guys so much, I'll definitely try everything you suggested. And yes, I think on days I'm not binging I probably don't eat enough. @PhattiPhat - I'm only just starting on here again so I have no diary entries to show as of yet, basically I'm an 18 year old girl and just want to get into some healthy habits:) It's nothing more than that, don't worry :)