Best foods to make it through the day

Options
I have a working interview Wednesday and she was telling me they really don't take a "lunch". They don't have time. We will be traveling to and from (about a 2 hour drive to them and a 2 hour drive back home) our patients and when were there we want to get as much as possible done. So they just don't break for a real lunch. She suggested I bring something easy to just "munch" quickly on if I feel hungry. I'm assuming this doesn't mean a quick "smart ones", "healthy choice", etc. frozen lunch.

What would you all suggest that I take with me? I'm not a big peanut butter cracker person.
Also what would be the best (QUICK) thing to eat for breakfast on the go, to keep me full the longest? I'll be leaving home between 6:30am-7am, and again its a 2 hour drive. Im used to working nights and will be taking Tuesday night off just to even be able to pull this off, so I really don't want to get up any earlier then I have to Wednesday morning to cook anything. I want something I can grab and eat on the way.

Thanks!

Replies

• whitney_simpson
    whitney_simpson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I carry Luna bars and apples with me everywhere. They have plenty of calories to sustain you for a couple of hours.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Make yourself a protein shake for breakfast and put it in an insulated water bottle (I like my Aladdin 16oz - it doesn't "sweat" on the inside of my purse" and you can do almost anything for lunch, just put it in an insulated lunch bag. If you aren't driving, do a salad-in-a-jar with dressing on the bottom and layered and then you can just shake it up and bring a fork and eat it on the go! Or you can cut up a chicken breast and eat it pretty quickly/easily. Lots of options, just make it portable :)
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Bananas.
  • delaniecastillo
    Options
    You might want to eat a nice breakfast and make it pretty filling. Mainly because fast food is all around and easy to drive right thru and order. Bring a good insulated container with a icepack. Cold items or dry items are probably going to be best. Watch out for prepackaged soups and meals (like dinty moore or ramen) because they are chocked with sodium.
  • sstoro
    sstoro Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    popcorn. homemade so its not greasy.
  • eautrey124
    eautrey124 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I make a large green smoothie in the morning and can sip on that for a few hours and it will still keep me full....

1 c. almond milk
    1 banana
    4-5 strawberries
    handful of blueberries
    1 c spinach
    1 c kale
    1 scoop protein powder
    1 tbsp. ground flaxseed

You can change the fruits you like, and I typically add more greens based on what I fee like. I make them the night before and grab it as I walk out the door in the morning.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Granola bars, apples, pears, grapes, carrots, celery, green or red peppers, even a premade sandwich would work.

Good luck with the interview!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    A breakfast that keeps me full is toasting 2 hard boiled eggs sliced & a slice of cheddar cheese on top of a slice of Arnold's Healthy Grain Nutty Grain bread. Plus, it's an on the go meal, easily transportable!
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Raw Fruit and Veggies!
    Snack on them by the handful!
    Turkey Jerky, Nuts, dry cereal.....etc...
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    goood thinking.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    To munch on throughout the day:
    nuts/trail mix
    luna protein bars (cookie dough flavor is so good! swear!)
    pretzels
    beef/turkey jerky
    light popcorn (make at home and bring in a ziplock)

For breakfast I would recommend something significant with lots of protein so it keeps you full for a while. I would do 2 eggs over medium with 3 slices of microwavable bacon (I usually just throw it in a frying pan next to the eggs) and a slice of wheat toast with PB on it. It takes as long as the bread takes to toast to make it. A big bowl of oatmeal with almonds and raisins in it would work well too.

Good luck!
  • delaniecastillo
    Options
    Besides that being illegal, I think it's BS and I wouldn't want to work for a company like that. Who does that? How lame. You have to eat. Eating is NOT OPTIONAL. OK, now I'm getting angry. I hate companies like that. Like eating food is optional. I'd tell them to stuff it.

I agree. It is rough. Oddly enough, I am called the Brad Pitt of eating here. Because i am always eating all day. Just like Brad Pitt in his movies.
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Make a wrap sandwich...mix some garlic, red pepper flakes, and cumin (or whatever spices/seasonings you like) into some sour cream and spread on a tortilla. Throw in a couple pieces of lunch meat, some spinach, some sun dried tomatoes, again, whatever you like, and roll up. Wrap in plastic wrap, and you have a really easy to eat sandwich on the go.
  • FitinHonau
    FitinHonau Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I drink my smoothie in the morning (7:00 am) and I feel full untill lunch time. If I have bread or oats instead I get hungry by 10:00 am, so I need to crunch on a handfull of Almonds.

How I make my smoothie to keep me full all morning:
    180 g plain yoghurt
    1 Banana
    1 kiwi & 1 peach
    or strawberries or any other fruit you have
    or 1 cup of spinach leaf and an orange
    30g flaxseed

For lunch, you can take boiled egg, avocado, yoghurt, almonds, slices of whole wheat bread, apple, grapes, sandwiches...
  • dinaconesetraya
    dinaconesetraya Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    string cheese, lettuce wraps, kale chips. Just use an insulated bag and you should be good to go!
  • Getting_Lean
    Options
    Luna Bars are a great suggestion (dinaconesetra), I think oatmeal would be a great way to fill up in the morning. For example, you could make oatmeal with a some stevia/ purevia and through in some berries or nuts, and if you add milk to the oats rather than water that is so extra protein and the nuts will give you some protein as well while the fiber comes from the berries and oats.

As for snacks, I would say some kind of cracker, maybe wheat thins, goldfish, etc. sometimes it is just the bulk that fills me up. You could also try packing some string cheese in a lunch box and maybe some fruit, strawberries already washed, etc.

I hope this helps! Good luck :)
  • C12254
    C12254 Posts: 198
    Options
    Besides that being illegal, I think it's BS and I wouldn't want to work for a company like that. Who does that? How lame. You have to eat. Eating is NOT OPTIONAL. OK, now I'm getting angry. I hate companies like that. Like eating food is optional. I'd tell them to stuff it.
    i can eat on the way home without it being a big deal (and if i understand correctly itd be around 2ish when we head back- itll be around 9am when i actually get TO the patients). id still be on the clock and id have more time to eat whatever. its just while we are actually with the patients .... they arent saying i cant ever eat at all. just that if im hungry while with the patients to be ready with something easy.