Hi. I'm a Pepsi-holic.

Options
gsmithnp
gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
I love Pepsi. On ice. Not Diet, or other low/no cal version. I'm talking fully-caffeinated, high fructose corn syrup-loaded, Pepsi. Coke will work in a pinch. I especially love it during hot weather (and it's been well into the 90s and 100s here lately).

However, I managed to only have a Pepsi twice last week--one on Tuesday, and again Saturday night. Funny thing is, they didn't taste as good as usual. So it is now two days without. I have been substituting unsweetened iced tea and water, with an occasional Diet Dr. Pepper.

Dear Lord give me strength...

Replies

• _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I had soda all the time as a kid. Now if I drink one it tastes like syrup.
  • alwilson1974
    alwilson1974 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! I am from the south where Pepsi is a must have in the frig! But, after drinking water and unsweetened drinks for a few weeks, my Pepsi addiction is slowly drifting away. I ordered one Saturday, took one sip and didn't want any more...tooooo sweet!
    The Lord will give you strength:happy:
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Pepsi. And for me, Coke will not substitute. If there is no Pepsi, I don't have soda. I have gone from 2-3 per day down to maybe 1-2 per month, if that. I do drink Diet Pepsi or Pepsi One now (Diet out of the can, One only over ice...I'm totally weird), maybe 3-4 per week and it has helped the cravings some. But if I'm eating tacos or pizza, only a regular over-ice Pepsi will do.

Pepsi drinkers unite!!! :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    add whiskey and I might like that.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    yeah, the last Diet Coke with Lime I had (my favorite soda) tasted funky. Now I don't even want one with a cupboard full of them. Now, if I could only feel that way about bread and butter!
  • kittenkris
    kittenkris Posts: 112
    Options
    Hi! I'm a diet soda addict..... Diet Coke, Diet Dr Pepper, Diet Mountain Dew when I really wanted a good buzz to get me cleaning the house. I drank gallons of the stuff. I even had friends who knew me as the girl with a diet coke in her hand. So what I'm about to say is not a judgement call Its just a bit of love from a person who struggles with the same thing. :)

That ALL changed 3 weeks ago when I decided NO more! I stopped. Not abruptly, I never had a headache. I bought a nice water bottle and I carry it everywhere. I just drank less each day and pretty soon I was completed off the stuff. It is poison. My stomach hurt all the time. I had bad gas. I needed it. It was ruining my teeth. They say its as bad as meth on your teeth. And now no more. It is the best feeling in the world to not be dependent on the stuff. I've lost about 20 pounds in a month and I think this has a lot to do with it. I used to crave sweets and its not much of a problem anymore. They say that diet stuff leaves you unsatisfied so you crave sweets. I never really believed it until now. My skin looks better, I feel WAY better and more than that I sleep better.

Replace your Pepsi with water..... Sounds boring but you will be so happy you did. :).
  • MissyAZjourney
    MissyAZjourney Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else here. A serious Diet Pepsi addict...all my friends know me as that person...its only been like 3 days that i've cut down...I would get a huge one with ice in the morning and 3 20oz bottles to get me thru work. I could seriously drink about 2 more at home after that. In the past 3 days I have had ONE per day. haven't had one yet today. Its not easy...the craving and addiction is unreal.

So more power to you! and here's to hoping we get the strength to just say no!
  • j724mecham
    j724mecham Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You and my husband would be so terrible together. We are Pepsi addicts 100% through and through. However, I actually prefer Diet Pepsi (again Diet Coke sometimes too if I must). I love Diet because I have a very deflated sweet tooth and regular tastes far too sugary for me. He completely despises Diet Pepsi, PepsiMax, Pepsi whatever low calorie. He goes through about 2+ 12-packs a week. Luckily, we're a match in the world of soda so we can totally score on the 4/$12 deals rather than buying 2 separate brands. He is REALLY truly to break his habit, but is not up for the headaches and suffering. But he has come far. He used to go through the 12-packs AND get a liter size at the gas station DAILY and go through that at work... Yeah.
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Well, it is now Day 3 and so far so good. I'm drinking coffee and iced tea for the caffeine so I don't get the headaches or go on a she-beast rampage around the office. One Diet Caffeine-Free Dr. Pepper in the evenings with supper. Water the rest of the day.

Oh, and I was under my calorie goal yesterday and did not feel hungry at all. Yay!
  • Otter1422
    Otter1422 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I used to drink between 12-18 cans a day of any soda I could get my hands on, for this year I quit cold turkey. Now I would say 1 soda every 2-3 weeks maybe. You can do it!
  • DeniseNichole76
    DeniseNichole76 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I used to be in the same boat and never imagining I could live without......NEVER thought the day would come and I feel SO much better mind and body... feel free to add me.
  • nordicgrl
    nordicgrl Posts: 3
    Options
    Me too!!! but now i usually drink pepsi next. still bad for me and half the calories. i do need to quit though.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Ice tea is a good way to wean yourself from the soda. Also good, try flavored club soda.
    And if you do keep cola in the house -- stop refrigerating it. Warm pepsi/coke is not that tempting.

One of the things you don't realize is that when you stop drinking cola, you also kill the cravings for certain types of food (chips/pizza/chinese) -- which means you not only are drinking less calories, you are eating less calories. Cola is an enabler for bad eating.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    You can do it. My boyfriend's favorite thing to consume is soda (Pepsi and cherry Coke) and he's stopped drinking it at all. Of course, he has a great incentive not to drink them as they give him kidney stones. Any way, if he can stop, you can too if you really want to.
  • Lacyleffel
    Lacyleffel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel I used to drink nothing but Mt.Dew all day everyday and absoutly nothing else. I hve been drinking only water for almost a year now and love it keep pushing you will make it through it
  • abble_pie
    abble_pie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It's tough! Growing up, my dad worked for Coca-Cola so we always had pop in the house. I was so addicted to diet coke, then I got poor and got addicted to this crap Kroger sells called Diet Dr. K. Just about a week and a half ago I decided to limit myself to one can of pop a day and drink 4 glasses of water. The other day I was starting to drink my pop and it just grossed me out. I know only want water! Try making a small change and you will grow to love something better!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    My MIL didn't like water and drank pretty much nothing but Pepsi, coffee, milk, and beer. She died of kidney failure.

Water is a good habit to get into!
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    If every soda I ever drank in my life was a water instead I would probably have a six pack abs right now. I would also have a wide variety of super powers.

People would empty entire clips at me and hit nothing but air I would be able to punch through concrete walls. Everyone who ever stood their ground and faced me would die. But I would be a gate keeper and I would be guarding all the doors and holding all the keys. So someone at some point is going to have to face me but my speed and my strength would be based on a system built from rules and because of that I would never be able to be as strong or as fast as you could be.
  • orangebuttercat
    orangebuttercat Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I figure that I have drank 60-65000 Cokes since I was 18.

8 a day for about 20 years.

Give or take.

I know It is my sole reason for being overweight as cakes, chips, Snacks etc, are definitely not my problem.

(hamburgers #2)

So I've taken it down to 1-2.A day... like a human.
    I need the caffeine as I hate coffee.
    And diet is just horrfying.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I was terribly addicted to Diet Pepsi when my son was young. I had two two-liter bottles every day plus a giant cup of it whenever I passed a convenience store. Then I went cold turkey to quit. Haven't had even a sip of one in over 30 years, but I can tell you that I STILL dream of the taste of it. That is one powerful addiction.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!