Indian Food?

Options
My husband and I are going to an Indian restaurant tonight for the first time. Any recommendations on low calorie options? I can do spicy but not too spicy?

Replies

• rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Dry Grilled chicken -- tandoori, tikka. I love Indian grilled chicken (but I'm also Indian so I'm biased).

You can ask them what curries are not cream based. Chicken Tikka Masala has a cream base. Chicken Curry should have a water base.

You can ask them to make things with less oil (don't know if they would. probably depends on the restaurant). If they're willing to do that, then you can stick to the vegetable dishes -- spiced chick peas (called chole on the menu) is my favorite veg dish.

Just ask them what the healthier options are.
    The problem is most of the food has good ingredients, but then has oil added in.

Or you could just decide to indulge yourself and just call it a bit of a set back
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    daal
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Ask for vegan options for the curries (channa kadai, dahl fry are some options), this will reduce the amount of added fats by eliminating the ghee. Tandoori is the best, it is the equivalent of marinating and grilling. No butter on the naan or substitue out for a brothy soup like rasam or a side salad. Most importantly, don't eat the full portion. Indian food is often served family style, so split an order or take half of it home.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    tandoori shrimp. YUM!
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Lucky you!:)