drinking too much water?

Options
ok, i hope i am not drinking too much water. i drink 3 cups in the morning at work, another 3 in the afternoon and 2 cups between dinnertime and bedtime. plus, i drink 2 while exercising. is that too much in a day (10 cups). i am 5'3" and 132lbs. thanksin advance!

Replies

• elle_m91
    Options
    I drink about the same about - can't go one hour without water!! I asked my family doctor about this last time I went (because I was worried, too, since sometimes I drink more than 6 500mL bottles a day) and he said that as long as I'm not waking up in the middle of the night to pee, I'm okay. Hope that helped!
  • ambercole
    Options
    I drink a gallon everyday! I have a 32oz bottle that I carry to work and I drink 1 bottle while working out, 2 bottles at work, and 1 at home after work. ( it does result in alot of peeing though!!!) LOL!!!
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I drink about that and sometimes more:drinker: and so far what I've found is when I don't drink that much I don't lose...so bring on the water:wink:
  • bigdaddycowgill
    bigdaddycowgill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm usually around 80-100 ozs of water, but I'm a big guy (328 lbs) & have noticed that when I drink less, I don't lose weight.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    are you noticing symptoms or feeling different? is it hot where you are? if so, sounds about right and good for you!
  • antarah
    Options
    i'm a walker and water helps joints, releves back aches, and just makes me feel hirdated. it helps that i have a half-gallon canteen and helps me moniter how much i drink. i tell myself that i have to drink it at least once a day.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a good amount. A doctor told me that even a gallon a day is fine. You're doing great!
    :smile:
  • phatzzzs
    Options
    For me a rule is to have a a bottle for water by me all the time. I am not a little guy 280lbs, and I go through 3-4 20z containers in 6 hours at the office, even more while I am driving around. Keep drinking your water, it will help flush things out of your body as well..............
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    One should aim to drink half their body weight in ounces daily. So if you weight 200 lbs, you would drink 100 oz of water. I'm 184 so I try to drink at least 90 oz daily.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I use this as my guide: http://www.thebeverageinstitute.com/hydration/hydration_calculator.shtml. It tells you how many cups. I got it off one of the other threads. 10 cups of water when you're exercising should be about right.
  • msdivadivine
    Options
    ok, i hope i am not drinking too much water. i drink 3 cups in the morning at work, another 3 in the afternoon and 2 cups between dinnertime and bedtime. plus, i drink 2 while exercising. is that too much in a day (10 cups). i am 5'3" and 132lbs. thanksin advance!
    I don't think it is too much. You have to consider other factors, since you workout you sweat and the water you drink replaces what you have lost. If you are taking any medications that are diuretics then you need to replenish what is lost. If your diet is high in sodium water will help fiush the excess from your body.
  • honeybee709
    honeybee709 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It's VERY hard to drink too much water. Sometimes people think that if you retain water it means you're not drinking enough. It's actually the complete opposite. If you don't drink enough water, your body holds onto every bit of water that comes in your system, even if it's through food; therefore, retaining water. When you drink an adequate amount of water, your body's glycogen stores are able to release that extra water retention. As is recommended, you should drink at LEAST 64 oz a day...that doesn't include juice, or soda or especially coffee because that is a diuretic. After that 64oz, respond to your thirst and what your body wants. A good judge is to look at the color of your urine, if it is yellow, you're not drinking enough water. If it's light yellow or clear your body is well hydrated. Hope that helps
  • honeybee709
    honeybee709 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Another good thing to think about...for every 15 minutes of exercise you do, you should be drinking 8oz of water. This helps your body recover quicker. Also, if you weigh less after your workout, it's because you're dehydrated. I'm a personal trainer and that is what I recommend to my clients.
  • Rugbychick16
    Rugbychick16 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I drank 3 liters today, cos apparently when I don't drink water and just coffee, my head wants to burst.
  • Sonflower
    Options
    My doctor says to drink half your weight in ozs.. if you weigh 132 you should drink 66 ozs of water..
  • maroon58
    maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the advice! i used to only drink about 3 cups of water per day as well as 2 soda's so i wasn't quite sure.

weird thing is, the past 2 days i've only had a soda in the morning and have had no soda cravings in the afternoon, which is quite rare since i usually end up craving one. also, by mistake today i bought a soda for me (grabbed one for my niece too) and didn't even open it. i had the willpower to save it for tomorrow morning. and it was a coke zero....huge!

anyways, sorry for my ramblings but a big thanks for all who replied!