Same Calories But A Change Of Timing...and a BIG THANK YOU

I am putting this post on this board, because I think that someone on this board is owed a Thank You from me.

Anyone is knows my history on MFP knows that I am CONSISTENT.

I don't change my calorie goal. It is low by MFP standards; but that number was set by my doctor and my nutritionist; and it has remained my goal from months. The only time that I increased that number was in February at the encouragement of some folks on MFP who believed that I needed to eat more calories. The result was a month of almost no weight loss.

My doctor and nutritionist told me to go back to my original calorie goal and not worry about 'starvation mode'. That's what I did, and I make sure that my calories are as close to that number as I can get without going over...every single day. My food plan is set, before my day begins, and it is never changes to allow for exercise.

If this doesn't sound right for you, that's okay. Your food plan, your daily calorie goal, your decision to count exercise calories, to weigh daily or to never do any of this is ENTIRELY UP TO YOU. We each have to do what we feel is right for us.

However...sometimes...someone will give you a piece of information that may help you to figure out a way to improve what you are doing. Even though I am somewhat stuck in my ways, I do listen from time to time. It may take an act of God to change my thinking, but I have been known to change reluctantly. :noway:

I have wonderful MFP friends who have given me encouragement, love and even some advice. At some point during this past week, one of those friends gave me a REALLY GOOD SUGGESTION. I can't remember who mentioned this idea in a post. Believe me, I reviewed all of my posts, blogs and even my messages, hoping to find that comment again...the source of this idea.

All I can do now is say, "Thank you" to that lovely MFP sister who mentioned 'fasting'. Now, I am not talking about religious fasting. I have done that many times in the past. For me, that meant dedicating my day to God. I didn't eat from sun up to sundown and spent the whole day in prayer, in the Word and learning more about God.

This fast was strictly a food related thing. My MFP sister (I do know that it was a lady.) told me that she would not eat before 10AM or after 6PM. The fast was throughout the night and into the next morning. That seemed like an easy thing to do...and quite honesty...not much of a fast to someone who was used to fasting, while awake the whole time. I can't even remember, if she said how many days she fasted like that.

Then, I started thinking, "When do I typically eat my food...especially my snacks which tend to have more salt and sugar than my other foods?" That's when I had to acknowledge that I was eating most of those snack after dinner; and dinner often did not come until 8PM or even later. That meant I was consuming a lot of calories in the last hours, before going to bed...often within an hour of laying down.

I was on a mini plateau that had lasted for 5 days with no weight loss. So, what could it hurt. Tuesday, I ate all my calories (meals and snacks) by 6:30PM and stuck to water and diluted cranberry juice for rest of that night. Wednesday, I finally got all my calories in by 6PM, and I did the same on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Wednesday, my plateau ended with a drop of 0.2 pounds. Again, the same amount came off of Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Amazingly, today I had a drop of 0.8 pounds.

I had just been patting myself of the back for staying faithful to my food plan and not doing anything DESPERATE to get off that plateau. I had not CHANGE A THING, and I had started losing weight again. At least, that's what I was thinking. I was so proud of me and my consistency.

Then, I happened to look up at the clock and realizing that I only had a few more hours "to eat the rest of my calories for the day". That's when it hit me. I have been on that new schedule of fasting for almost 5 days...something HAD changed; and that something could very well be the reason for my recent weight loss. Suddenly, I didn't think that I was 'all that and a bag of chips'...puffing myself up for never changing anything in my successful food plan. :huh:

That when, I felt bad...pretty dumb actually. I never said Thank You to the MFP friend who suggested that I try 'fasting from 6PM to 10PM'; and now, I don't know who to thank. That suggestion probably had more to do with me losing weight this week than all my so called consistency.

So, here it is. Thank you to my sweet, unidentified friend who helped me to realize that the timing of my food needed a serious adjustment. Thank you for leading me to what probably ended that mini plateau without the need to change my calories. :flowerforyou:

Have any of you done this kind of fasting? How many days do you stay on this fast? Maybe, it is supposed to be ongoing with no limit of days.

I am not sure about this. So, I am open to some advice about this kind of fast. I promise, I will listen.

Replies

• KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    My husband and I never eat after 630! Or I should say that we try our hardest to avoid it! I eat breakfast, usually after my hour workout and time spent getting ready for work, about 730 am! But I have been up since 430! So I do not view this as fasting, since it is our way of life, but I certainly think not eating 3 hours before bed has helped me stabilize my weight!
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    I find i have better weight loss when i do this too. I think it is because i am so busy all day and when i finally sit down and relax before bed i want to munch. So i have been trying to not eat after 7:00 (i am not always successful though).

It is easier for me in the winter because after my workout i will go soak in the tub before bed instead of sitting in front of the tv.
    (i need to find some other way to relax in the summer!)
  • spunkybunny
    spunkybunny Posts: 33 Member
    I don't have any experience with fasting (other than religious fasting) as my doctor stresses the importance of eating within an hour of waking and no more than an hour before bed to maintain my blood sugar level. I do however make an effort to make sure my bedtime snack is lower in sodium and fat. It's usually air-popped popcorn or a piece of fruit.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    I do 16:8 fasting. I eat dinner then don't eat anything till lunchtime the next day. Love it and it makes it easier to have a nice big dinner.
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Google "intermittent fasting" for more on this - hot topic these days. Think there is also an MFP group on this.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    I do 16:8 fasting. I eat dinner then don't eat anything till lunchtime the next day. Love it and it makes it easier to have a nice big dinner.

That is good to know. I think that this is something that I should maintain...at least for a while.
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    I have noticed too that I eat most of my calories after lunch so I traded my pringles for a protein bar with my salad in an effort to stay fuller longer and not eat all of my calories so late in the day. I do have a hard time not eating while relaxing and watching TV. I have "munchies" snacks.... a 100 calorie bag of popcorn or 1 serving of dry cereal. It helps.... but not everyday! Congrats to you... I know it would take me a whole lot of self control!
  • Hanfordrose
    With help from another MFP sister, I found out the name of the MFP friend with the great suggestion about fasting. This was the comment in my blog entitled "One Week From Today, I Meet With Handsome Jack".

pamuyamakene wrote 4 days ago:

"You can do it! Take plenty of water and perhaps stop eating everyday at 6pm till 10am the next day. Then between 10am and 6pm have your daily calorie goal.This is a form of dieting called intermittent fasting (IF). You can still take fluids like water and black tea/coffee during the fast window. I think if you try it you may lose up to 4lbs in this coming week. Whatever is best for you will happen, my prayers are with you! xx"

Now, I can send a thank you the right person.

Another friend, dwalt, gave me some interesting information about the meaning of the word breakfast.

"The not eating after 6:00 is not new, however, we have become a nation of the snack before bedtime, the midnight snack, and raiding the refrigerator in the middle of the night. We are also eating later because of our commutes from work. In most cases, dinner isn't on the table at 5:00 sharp.

Fasting from 6:00 until the next morning used to be the norm, thus the term breakfast for the first meal of the day where you break the fast from the night before. I remember in the 70's when my cousin lost more than 80 pounds just by not eating after 6:00 pm.

So while we know that this makes sense, probably most of us haven't thought to do it."
  • jedw31
    jedw31 Posts: 26 Member
    I also make sure that all my calories are used up before 7pm, and I try to eat breakfast after 8;30 ish. So I suppose that I've been doing intermittent fasting all along.
    Another thing that helps is only eating while sitting in the kitchen or the patio outside. I'm a bit of an addict for those salty savoury snacks, (I always say that I would walk past a mountain of Mars bars for one packet of cheese and onion crisps !) But once Im settled in the living room after dinner, it always seems to be too much of an effort to stop what I'm doing, and head into the kitchen, and sit there all alone while I snack.
    To anyone looking for something to distract them from eating in the evenings I have found a jigsaw puzzle, cross stitch, word games on the Ipad or laptop, or reading work very well for me.
  • WDA4655
    WDA4655 Posts: 91 Member
    Thanks for the post. It is very informative and I will some how put this into practice too.
  • I have always been a person who frequently doesn't want to eat breakfast (just not usually hungry when I wake up). So, when I was told over and over (by friends and books on dieting/eating) that I HAD to have breakfast in order to lose weight, I began trying to eat something when I woke. But when I read recently about intermittent fasting, I was so glad to hear that there are many other people out there who are like me. So, I decided (just last night!) that I would try it. I had no breakfast this morning and I'm so glad that I still have almost 700 calories to go today (and its already 4:30 PM!)! My fast will be from 8:00 PM until noon the next day. That is what seems to be the best for my schedule. I hope we both do well and see the pounds drop. God bless you!!
  • Hanfordrose
    Here is an update on my progress, since I began my 6PM to 10AM fast with the same calories that I had been on for months. After 5 days with no weight loss, I start the IF method.

Wednesday 7/10 - 5 days of weighing 214.0 pounds and I began the IF plan.
    Thursday 7/11 - 213.8
    Friday 7/12 - 213.6
    Saturday 7/13 - 213.4
    Sunday 7/14 - 212.6
    Monday 7/15 - 211.2
    and this afternoon, my scale said 210.6; but I only use my morning weight.

It hasn't even been one week, and I have lost 3.4 total pounds! That is no coincidence. The only change that I made was the timing of my eating. I am still eating the same food and the same amount of calories that I was eating in the past. Only...now, I feel better; and the weight is just falling off. :happy:
  • That's wonderful news! I hope I enjoy the same results!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    I Intermittent fast, for the most part, eating all my calories, yes all, in the 8 hours before bedtime. I lost a lot of bodyfat doing this, so I do not think the time you stop eating is as important as the gap between your eating sessions.
    I also generally workout fasted, unless I have a bad day where the hunger takes over.