Ladies! Working out with an IUD?

Options

Replies

• Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I had cramping issues. Had it taken out, and use the Nuvaring. I have no issues with it.
  • Cappicorn
    Cappicorn Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have had the Mirena consistently for 7 years. Though I'd skip a month or two in periods, I never noticed any cramping or breakthrough bleeding during or after workouts. But it doesn't seem like you're alone in your symptoms, definitely want to check with your doctor.
  • JennTiger
    Options
    I'm actually having an issue with mine doing the same. Haven't really had a period in the 1.5 years I've had the Mirena in, but I definitely spot after sex and last night I jogged for the first time and feel crampy and spotting this morning. Has anyone gotten it totally checked out?
  • afanco
    afanco Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Consider Natural Family Planning.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

No.

IUD's often cause cramping, spotting, and weird periods when they are first implanted, but that will get better as your body becomes accustomed to it. If it continues past about six months, I would say talk with your doctor about it.
  • heatherab87
    Options
    I get really crampy after exercise, relations, and just at random times. On top of that my period decides to stay around for weeks at a time (it is really light but it's still present.) I've had Mirena for about a year and keep waiting for all the wonderful things people say about it to happen to me. It's all super annoying! I'm thinking about having it out but after paying so much, I want to give it a few more months. I know that Mirena is great for a lot of people, but I'm thinking I might not be one of them.
  • laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    So I hope this is the right forum to post this in...I've had an IUD in since I started working out in February (actually have had it a year) but I've noticed specifically this last couple months that I have been having cramps during and after workouts. I have a doc appt coming up and I intend on asking about it but I was wondering, has anyone had any complications with their IUDs because of working out? The pain isn't intolerable but it feels like a menstrual cramp and it just kinda sucks lol...thanks for any input!

I guess I will also add that sometimes after being intimate with the hubby I will feel real tender in my abdominal area as well and am wondering if its all related... :)

I am having the exact same thing :( I can't tell if mine is from the mirena or more of a muscular thing in my pelvis.. TMI I know. Best of luck to you, I think I might have mine taken out.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    It honestly has not been an issue for me.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options

No.

:laugh: my feelings EXACTLY

I have an IUD and I havent had an issue with it. I know it can make things kinda wonky though and I really hope it isnt embedded or something horrible,. I have it in stil despite all the horror stories I have heard. :flowerforyou:
  • Katy_V
    Katy_V Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My experience FWIW...

My mirena was perfect for 4 years, no pain and no monthlies, then the symptoms you ladies describe above, really bad cramping and bleeding (like full on for eleven months) kicked in. Right that Mirena doesn't work for everybody.

The problem for me was getting the GP to LISTEN...

My doctor told me that running was "dangerous" for women. Um...

I changed doctors and switched to Depo (progesterone injection, might just be UK?) and no probs at all (fingers crossed)
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I'm on Mirena. almost 3 years and no problems with weight loss. after my pregnancy (gain of 60 lbs) I was able to lose most of it with diet and exercise. I gained it back with lack of diet and exercise. still, no problems. I haven't had a period in almost 2 1/2 years, but im good with that.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I've had Mirena since January of 2010 and haven't had any issues with it. Def see your OB if you have bleeding cramping during or after exercise because you shouldn't.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. I started having cramps even after walking! They got progressively worse. I got it taken out (because of the pain, mood problems, not losing weight etc) And I am much better for it!!! I am still getting back to normal after having it out but things are looking better. See someone about it but my doctor didn't believe me, I had to go through three different people before someone listened to me properly.
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I just started to notice that I was cramping and spotting, a new development, but not new to me. This is my third or fourth mirena, and my personal issue is that I am a fast metabolizer of medications, so I use up the hormone before the five year time frame. It is usually only 6 or so months away from the 5 years, but this time it is a earlier (3 years next month). Maybe I will give my doc a buzz and ask. Thanks for the info.
  • maddiebeeee
    Options
    Has anyone actually gone to the doctors to see if it was anything serious?
  • bieedavi26
    Options
    So I hope this is the right forum to post this in...I've had an IUD in since I started working out in February (actually have had it a year) but I've noticed specifically this last couple months that I have been having cramps during and after workouts. I have a doc appt coming up and I intend on asking about it but I was wondering, has anyone had any complications with their IUDs because of working out? The pain isn't intolerable but it feels like a menstrual cramp and it just kinda sucks lol...thanks for any input!

I guess I will also add that sometimes after being intimate with the hubby I will feel real tender in my abdominal area as well and am wondering if its all related... :)
    hi, I've have the copper coil for almost a year now, and I do a lot of high intensity workouts.
    after long workouts or long runs I have found that I have cramps like period pains after, I have spoke to my gp and because I haven't had children apparently I can be extra sensitive to the coil being in place.
    the gp said that the light cramping was normal because I'm not used to the foreign body.
    hope this helps
    :)
  • shaneil623
    Options
    I have mirena and I have experienced some really really sharp pains, at times unbearable in my abdominal area especially after working out. I have had it for about 3 years but the more I work out the more frequent the pains get. I went to the dr and they do not show that it has shifted or what is wrong. I also have PCOS so I am not sure if it is all realted or what it is. I wish I could get answers myself. Hope you are getting some relief!!!
  • michelle34152
    michelle34152 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second copper IUD since 1996 - no problems ever. I love mine and keep trying to talk every woman I know into getting one.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I've had my IUD for over a year, and I've had no issues whatsoever. I just have random bleeding out of nowhere that is inconvenient, but it's short-lived. Other than that, I love it. The first 6 months, however, were more challenging, which was to be expected. Looooong periods and some cramping, but nothing that kept me from working out.

Hope it gets better!
  • braves1girl
    braves1girl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I had the Mirena put in New Year's weekend of 2012. I bled for 4 wks, then 4 wks later I had a period. I have had serious trouble losing weight (playing with the same 3 lbs since January). I had to have the Mirena put in due to a diagnosis of endometriosis. It was the IUD or a hysterectomy. Just don't want surgery if I can help it. Having said that, the IUD has helped my endometriosis a lot, but in the last 2.5 mos I started training for a 10k by walking and jogging. When I added the jogging into the mix, I started cramping and spotting. Just enough spotting to be annoying. It was everyday. After the 10k I took a week off (week of July 4th) and didn't have any spotting. I started back and last week there wasn't any spotting. This week I added strength training to my routine and BAM today I'm cramping like having my period and spotting/light bleeding. On a positive side, I haven't had a full period in 2 mos.

I called my dr and asked them if swelling of the hands and trouble losing weight was a side effect and they told me no. But I'm convinced it is for me! Especially after reading this post. Glad I'm not alone...sorry we are going thru this though. Keep me posted of what your dr's say. Take care everybody!