Do you prefer shorts or pants?

Options
I walk a lot, so generally, I just wear jeans when I exercise.

However, I want to start running some more and doing yoga/other exercises. Problem: None of my old workout shorts and pants fit anymore. I walked myself into a smaller size. xD

Do you guys generally prefer shorts or pants when working out? What type of material/brand do you like? I'll probably get both a pair of shorts and a pair of pants, because winter is not kind to bare legs, even for us Michiganders.

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    90% of the time I wear pants when I work out, shorts just never fit me right and already ride up funny in the inner thigh area. My bf thinks I'm nuts, but I don't get any hotter wearing pants to the gym then shorts. Maybe I just need to try on more shorts in different styles. *shrug*

I usually just grab like 10 pairs of different styles and materials in my size and try them on. That usually narrows it down to about 2. lol. Usually the more natural the fabric, the more breathable it is.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    If my workout is in the hayfield or in the barn, pants, so as not to get scratched to death. If on the elliptical in the house, shorts. I've never been to a gym.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    If my workout is in the hayfield or in the barn, pants, so as not to get scratched to death. If on the elliptical in the house, shorts. I've never been to a gym.
    I do have to watch out for poison ivy on one of the trails I go on. Pants there!
  • boofe88
    boofe88 Posts: 1
    Options
    I wear jeans, I hate shorts
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I wear yoga pants or the capri sweats. I prefer things that have a draw string, as I lose weight, I've had to pull it tighter to adjust so they don't fall down! (i've had that happen... :laugh: )
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Unless outside in Winter, shorts, or occasionally capris. My grandson was over once and I had my Zumba DVD in. In a voice heavy with disbelief, he said "Why are they wearing pants to exercise." The only answer I could come up with was "I have no idea."

If I'm getting hot and sweaty, I'm wearing shorts. To hike, I wear hiking shorts. To bike, I wear padded biking shorts. For most other things I wear spandex shorts because they are comfortable and don't ride up.
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    COTTON all the way!! IMO :smile: I actually have several pairs of workout capris that I use all the time, best of both worlds, they don't ride up like shorts can and aren't as hot as pants can be. Padded bike shorts for riding. Try a bunch of different styles and fabrics, figure out what you like best. Best of luck!:flowerforyou:

I also have several pairs I can't wear anymore :happy: skinnyed right out of them :happy: It is a good problem to have!!! :drinker:
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm in northern WI... I wear capris 99% of the time. I have many pairs, all slightly different. My most favorite pair I got at Old Navy for $2. It's 85% Polyester, 15% Spandex. My second favorite pair is from Athleta. It's a 2-in-1, so it has a skirt attached. Again, mostly polyester with some nylon/spandex blends. I do have a 2-in-1 pair of cotton leggings that are nice when it's a little colder. But I get so hot when I workout that I usually do capris. I'd probably do shorts if there wasn't so much thigh rubbing. I do have a pair of mid thigh spandex that I'll wear when working out at home or biking shorter distances (long distances get the bike shorts).

I also prefer pants that offer more compression. It makes me stand up taller and activate my core more.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    shorts in the summer, pants in the winter
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Compression fabric. Always. I like the capri length cause my knees are pretty ugly. So I guess that is somewhere between a pant and a short.
  • amraf1024
    amraf1024 Posts: 74
    Options
    I prefer compression shorts then ill put some loose like boys basketball shorts over if I'm outside working out if I'm inside just the compression shorts or they even have them in like capris...haven't tried yet its still 100 degrees where I'm at lol
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I generally prefer working out in compression capris. Though its been really hot lately, so when I go on long runs outside, I've been wearing compression shorts. I only have two pairs that I like and they were kind of expensive, but they dont ride up as much. I prefer the capris though because they definitely dont ride up, and I dont the inner thigh chafing! ;)
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I wear capris. They are the compression kind (basically spandex) that way you never have to deal with riding up or chafing or any of that.
  • BranMuffin86
    BranMuffin86 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas ... shorts all day every day. I'll normally pick lighter material instead of cotton same for my tanks.
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I prefer running capris or pants
  • Montarosa456
    Montarosa456 Posts: 133
    Options
    I'm all about the capri - Flattering, comfy&won't flash my butt!
    However shorts for gym/shorter funs :)
  • turboturtlepower
    Options
    Running skirts when I run outside (only in the summer though - live in WA state and we're lucky if it gets to 70* here in the summer), and running tights in the winter. Shorts when I do strength training or Insanity/FocusT25 indoors.
  • A2Zscents
    A2Zscents Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I wear the capri style yoga pants. I buy those at Target - cheap and durable. :)
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I always wear shorts to the gym or yoga, and I wear them to run outside unless it's under 40 degrees.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Capris or Bermuda shorts. Athleta has some awesome clothes for working out. As does GoLite. But if you want to go cheap, go Target :-) I'm hoping to get back into shorts as I lose more weight.