Always so tired

Options

Replies

• HausfrauB
    HausfrauB Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Seconding (or thirding or whatever count it's up to) the suggestion to talk to your doctor. A simple blood test would rule in/out thyroid issues and anemia. My doctor had a mini sleep screening machine that I wore for a night so he could get a snapshot of my sleep. It indicated a possible problem and he referred me to a sleep doctor.

Sleep doesn't get the cred it deserves--so important to keep everything in balance.

:)
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor and ask him to order a sleep study. I suffered from life-long sleep apnea, and had the same problems as you. I was always so tired, just exhausted tired. I never woke up a day in my life feeling rested. I finally thought to request a sleep study (I'm a nurse) and was diagnosed with sleep apnea. The first time I slept for 4 hours with a CPAP machine and woke up, it was a miracle, like in "The Wizard of Oz" when everything turns to color from black and white. It has been life changing.

... and just so you know, thin people have sleep apnea, too. I've lost more than 100 pounds and am normal weight and still suffer from sleep apnea. In fact, sleep apnea can contribute to obesity in many cases.
  • BettyBlueEyes
    BettyBlueEyes Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Following the last two posts, I also have iron defieicency anaemia. It's under control now, but really kicked in when I stopped eating so much meat and ate quorn instead (iron free). I have had insomnia almost all my life, get about 4-5 hours per night, and don't have a problem with tiredness. But when I'm anaemic I can't seem to drag myself through the day.

Also agree with others - your diary looks like you're pretty low on calories. At least try to eat back all exercise cals if you're doing cardio every day.

Lst bit - I find that if I have much sugar at breakfast or lunch, I get starving hungry 2-3 hours later. Even a piece of fruit at breakfast is too much.

I hope you feel better soon, it's pants being that tired.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Just going to say this because it happened to me and I see a wedding picture. Could you be pregnant?

Nope. I am making sure of that :)

There's only one thing (abstinence) that makes SURE of that. Many people suffer horrible fatigue during their first trimester. You might want to take a pregnancy test just in case. :-)
  • ashowers36
    ashowers36 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will think very hard about talking to my doctor about this. I have a serious phobia of needles though and usually end up in a panic attack before I even get in the parking lot and if I am sick and there is even the smallest remote chance I am going to get a shot then I would rather just suffer through the sickness. So getting blood work done is going to take some serious thought (i've never had blood drawn and my fear of needles and my very very low pain tolerance is one reason I am not to keen to have children). I will be seriously considering it though. Thanks.
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Have you had any testing done at your dr's office? Thyroid disorders can cause you to be unusually tired.

agreed... I was drained all the time as well... went to see my doctor and my iron was super low.
  • alancheng
    alancheng Posts: 12
    Options
    You say you are eating 1200 calories net but I just browsed the past week in your diary and didn't see you netting 1200. Most days you were under 1000. No wonder you're tired...

First of all, you likely need a good bit more than 1200 calories to survive on and eating more will help you to lose more. When I NET 1650 cals at 5'6 and 123lbs and lose 1lb a week or more. Yep, that's right.

When you eat too little you slow everything down and unnecessarily make life a living hell for yourself.

Eat more food which will give you more energy to live, work out, be happy. I also noticed you are eating a lot of bars, shakes, etc. If you can get more whole foods in there - fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc. that would be even better. Higher protein really helps me as well when it comes to energy and feeling full and satisfied.

Please look closer at what I said. I said I used to not eat back my exercise calories until i recently learned that I should be. To be specific I just learned that I should be last Wednesday so not even a full week ago. If you look from then till today you can see I have tried very hard to stay very close to my net of 1200 (although i didn't do a good job of tracking my food this weekend so don't look at those days lol :) )

Good points here. At the end, whole foods or not it's up to you - convenience vs wholesome goodness

Could be calories

Could be medical condition like others have mentioned: anaemia, depression

Could be nutrient deficiency, namely iron and potassium levels which even your multivitamin might not gurantee

My public diary shows it's difficult to reach 3,500 mg potassium even with supplements

Btw you do a fantastic job logging; maybe it's worth a visit to your doctor, armed with your MFP reports on how much of recommended daily intake of micronutrients you're taking, maybe be referred for blood work, and perhaps speak about the depression
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on how to keep energized through out the day. Even if I go to bed early (usually 9 or 9:30 is early) I still wake up (at 7 in the morning) feeling just plain tired. Then at 3 in the afternoon my energy level crashes (and I work till 5). I usually have to give myself like 10 to 15 minutes of rest (not sleeping or napping, just lying down in a quiet room) before I can recover enough energy to get on the elliptical machine for 30 minutes. Then after that I am still so tired, which really sucks because I never can get any weight training done, that after I take a shower I don't have the energy or will power to do anything but go to bed. But if I go to bed at 7:00 then I will be awake at like 3 in the morning which is not good. Can anyone give me some suggestions on what I can do to keep my energy level up throughout the day? Don't want to do caffeine as it cause my anxiety to flare up.

eat more

I would probably eat more than you if I had no mouth and was in a coma

Seriously

Google Scooby's workshop calorie calculator and enter your stats/exercise sessions per week... find out what you should actually be eating for health AND weight loss rather than just the latter
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will think very hard about talking to my doctor about this. I have a serious phobia of needles though and usually end up in a panic attack before I even get in the parking lot and if I am sick and there is even the smallest remote chance I am going to get a shot then I would rather just suffer through the sickness. So getting blood work done is going to take some serious thought (i've never had blood drawn and my fear of needles and my very very low pain tolerance is one reason I am not to keen to have children). I will be seriously considering it though. Thanks.

The consequences of leaving anemia unchecked could potentially be much worse than the panic attack from the blood draw. This is one of those times when you really ought to find a way to get done what needs to be done. Do you have an anti-anxiety medication you could take before the lab appointment, and have your husband drive you?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I am prone to fainting when seeing myself being poked with a needle. I always inform the person of that and tell them I cannot look and so they talk me through it while I close my eyes and turn my head. I almost fainted once when my dog was getting blood drawn at the vet!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options

oh, honey.... I used to scream bloody murder when I had to get a shot. All the way up to age 13. lol My brother could have slept through getting a shot, but me? You would have thought the doctor was trying to kill me. Nurses had to actually hold me down for a shot. So I totally get your fear of shots.

But after breaking my arm and having to give blood, and get an IV and have surgery, I (thankfully.....) no longer have screaming fits in the doctors office. hahaha
    I still get nervous and a bit light headed and naseus though. But I know it's best for me. And I know there is no other way to know what might be wrong. So I do it. Not often... but when necessary.

This sounds like one of those necessary times... I usually clench my fist, look away, think of other things, strike up a conversation with whoever is drawing the blood.....etc.. If you tell the person it's your first time and you are terrified of needles, they will usually do whatever they can to keep your mind off of it. It will help.

And SERIOUSLY... it feels like a pinch and lasts a few seconds. No lingering pain, no nothing. Quick pinch.
  • rosellasweet
    rosellasweet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Try upping your calories for a couple weeks and see if it works for you. Also, and I'm in no way an expert, it looks like you're eating a lot of junk. I am all for having a burger or something else fast food-y every once in a while, but I saw three days in a row where you have BK and then other days contained a good amount of junk food. When I used to eat crap, I felt tired all the time. Used to have to take a nap everyday for an hour just to function when I got home. I'd still be exhausted. Now, I'm not suggesting "clean eating" whatever that means, but rather something my brother once said to me: "Eat less brown stuff, eat more green stuff." So instead of onion rings, have a fruit or veggie you enjoy. Or even a breakfast bar instead of something fried and covered in cheese. But every once in a while isn't going to zap your energy for good.

Also, do you stare at a computer a lot? I do, so I get very tired. At lunch, or my break times, I try to get up and walk around. If it's sunny outside, usually the sun helps wake me up if I can find a window. I also noticed a poster who said snacking helps them. Same here. I have a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack which helps. 10am and 3pm seem to work as I get sleepy around these times.

Anyway, try changing a little something and it may work! I've had a few odd problems throughout my weight loss journey and noticed that one habit change can solve the problem. Sometimes it doesn't. I don't think it would be a bad idea to mention it to the doctor next time your there.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    the same thing happened to me, followed one of jason vales books (the juicing master) for two days and felt better straight away...it only lasted 2 days because my blender broke. rolls eyes lol (buying a new juicer tomorrow). you can youtube him if its something you feel you might be interested in? highly recommend one of his books though
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    As others have said - see a medical professional! I used to suffer from severe exhaustion - everything and anything that required any type of physical or brain power had to get done before 12pm or else I just couldn't do it. I was eating healthy and physically active, yet I was exhausted, had constant headaches, and was in physical pain. I was certain there was something medically wrong with me. I went to my family doctor who ran some blood work and was specifically concerned about my thyroid - had that checked and was told everything was fine, I was just getting "older" (I was 29!!) and was sent on my way. In the mean time, I threw my back out, started seeing a chiropractor for that who also happened to be a naturopath... long story short, he suggested various supplements, tweaked my diet, etc. and now I feel like a new person. I still get tired when I'm overly stressed, but I think that's fairly normal and it's nothing like it was.

My point is, get checked by your doctor and if that doesn't satisfy you, then keep looking for answers. You know your body best.
  • deacs5one
    deacs5one Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No matter how tired I am, if I eat an apple or a banana I feel much more energized. A much better alternative than Starbucks or candy.
  • chaoticrunner
    chaoticrunner Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    There are so many possible causes. Just being overweight can make you tired, as it does with me. I also was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 15 years ago and now take medication for it. It could be a lack of vitamins, which you will be consuming less of if you cut back your calories. Make sure you take at least a multivitamin every day. You can also go to GNC and check for natural supplements that boost energy - make sure they don't have caffeine in them.

Shawshankcan has a point to stop thinking about it and just do it, and if you can, that's great! For me, once I get in the routine of exercising, even if it's just 15 minutes on the treadmill, that increases my metabolism and my energy levels and it gets easier. Yoga is awesome, because even though there's no cardio, it increases bloodflow in the body and helps you to relax. Stress is a huge factor for me getting tired so easily. Just DON'T GIVE UP!

This is exactly what I would have said. Vitamin defiencies and thyroid problems are 2 major causes of fatigue. When my thyroid is off, I end up sleeping 12 hours a night. Go get some blood work done, see if that's the problem.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

Alright, you're just going to have to suck up your needle phobia. And I say that as someone who also has panic attacks from the thought of needles and who faints from them too. Seriously, if you're constantly tired, there could be something wrong and you need to know. And if you choose not to because of a needle phobia, then it's your own fault. You might want to actually see your doctor rather than just "seriously considering" it.
  • jackire
    jackire Posts: 1
    Options
    I had similar problems.
    I was getting up at 12..00 noon and falling asleep again at 4.00pm. I still slept when I went to bed at night.

I was tested and found to have sleep apanea. I was stopping breathing 49 times every hour on average.
    This meant I was not getting into my "deep sleep" . I was supplied with a mask and machine which forces me to breathe deeper and get more oxygen into my lungs.
    In 7 days I have stopped snoring and have been getting up at 9.00am everyday and going to bed at midnight.

Just thought I'd share.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

Good points here. At the end, whole foods or not it's up to you - convenience vs wholesome goodness

Could be calories

Could be medical condition like others have mentioned: anaemia, depression

Could be nutrient deficiency, namely iron and potassium levels which even your multivitamin might not gurantee

My public diary shows it's difficult to reach 3,500 mg potassium even with supplements

Btw you do a fantastic job logging; maybe it's worth a visit to your doctor, armed with your MFP reports on how much of recommended daily intake of micronutrients you're taking, maybe be referred for blood work, and perhaps speak about the depression

I should have said this too- please consider mentioning the depression and any other mood problems you might be having to your PCP. As someone who's been there (and, unfortunately, makes the occasional return trip): You don't have to feel bad. Feeling better will make it more possible for you to succeed. Best of luck with the needle phobia- it's an enormous pain in the *kitten*. Going to second some recommendations here that you get an antianxiety scrip beforehand if you have to get a draw.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I work in front of a computer all day and always feel sluggish if I don't take breaks and walk around the office. If you are crashing around 3pm maybe you could schedule a healthy snack during that hour to boost your energy. (Raw vegetables and hummus, fruit and cheese, or unsalted almonds are all great options.)

I don't like to drink caffeine after lunch so I usually drink ice water to feel alert. If drinking the water doesn't help you could also splash it on your face until you feel alert :smile: