Finally getting serious...hit rock bottom...

Options
truelove7
truelove7 Posts: 79 Member
Hi there! My name is Mary Lynn. I'm 35, 5'9" and currently weight 300 lbs. For the past couple of weeks, I've tried to get a handle on my eating habits and I've started moving more. I didn't realize exactly how bad it was until I saw this photo of me from Saturday night:
IMG_6705_edited-1_zpsb502f5d5.jpg

I threw a big party for my parent's 60th birthday and we all had so much fun. I was totally crushed when I saw the pics though. I'm embarrassed of myself and am worth way more than I've allowed myself to become. I'm on task and FINALLY found the motivation I need to really get going.

Replies

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Logging your food and exercise on MFP helps alot. It keeps me on track.
  • thetiniestgirl
    Options
    Feel free to friend me for support :) we can do this together!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Fried request sent
  • voyager17
    voyager17 Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm so happy for you that you've made the decision to get healthy! I know exactly how you feel in terms of seeing yourself
    in pictures. If you need support or anything feel free to message me :) Lots of luck!
  • Ogress_2_Prncess
    Options
    I can relate to those pictures :( Add me if you want. Down 41# with about 90 to go
  • iwannabe140
    iwannabe140 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! YOU can do it!!!

I know how you feel. About 2 months ago, I saw a picture of myself my daughter took with my phone when I wasn't paying attention. I could hardly believe it was me. I thought I had hit rock bottom too, but I still haven't managed to get on track on a consistent basis. I think I should print that picture and put it on the refrigerator -- maybe that would do the trick. Otherwise, it's out of sight, out of mind. I don't feel as overweight as I look. :-)

By the way, don't be so hard on yourself. You still look gorgeous in the picture! Stay positive! You can do it!
  • kw67
    kw67 Posts: 30
    Options
    Good for you! We are all here together and will help you along..
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Hi Mary Lynn! Congrats on taking the first step to a healthy new you! You can do it! :)
  • jesskahh87
    jesskahh87 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    last night I saw a picture of myself & I decided it was time for a change... I know exactly what you're going through!
  • purpleiris82
    purpleiris82 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Joining MFP is a good first step. I have only been on here for five days, but it has helped me. You can friend me, if you'd like. We can support each other.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    The first step is the hardest, I bet you will be surprised at how effortless it can be! May I suggest you DON'T use the MFP guidelines and figure out your TDEE by using any online calculator and cut from that? I know you didn't ask for advice on that, but I hate to see new people's motivation get an *kitten*-whopping by a 1200 calorie diet. :) Friend me if you want!
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Good luck! The hard parts are followed by great parts, try and remember that.
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    This is a great site and it WORKS!!

BTW, you are beautiful! Just sayin'!!!
  • Pinkprettyplz
    Pinkprettyplz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I'm finally getting serious also. My realization was when I got on the scale and noticed.I gained 35 lbs over the last 2 years!! I totally blame relationship weight...lol. I've been logging and keeping track for the past few days. This really seems like a great community to help you stay motivated. Have fun on your journey! =)
  • melissaka7
    melissaka7 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Good luck! MFP really helps & I love the message boards. I've gone down 23 lbs since May. You can add me as a friend if you want. :)
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You can add me. I was 298 pounds, and the pictures my friend took were horrible!
    Still.... It took something much worse for me to hit rock bottom.
  • thezorb
    thezorb Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you--I saw some photos of myself too, and thought, "That can't really be me!" But it is, so here I am. I'm down 12# in a little more than three weeks. I love MFP! Add me as a friend.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    your next picture will be one you are proud of ;-) good luck and if I can help send me a Friend Request. :flowerforyou:
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    YES!!! You can do this!! One day at a time, or one bite at a time if that's what it takes. It will not happen overnight but it is so worth it. Push yourself past what you think your limits are! When you are feeling weak, reach out to the community here. There is great support on this website.

You have gorgeous red hair and blue eyes!
  • antonjanik
    antonjanik Posts: 12
    Options
    We all started out with a picture! I still look at mine and am so happy with how far I have come. Just remember, its not about one good day, one great weekend workout, one great lo cal meal. Its about doing it every day, every meal. Over and over and over. You will train your body to lose the weight. You can do this. Your desire to be different will beat your craving to overeat.

And then don't go hungry. At least not starving. I ate a lot of greek yogurt between meals. Not the crappy fake kind. Real stuff (I like Fage and Chobani. I hate yoplait, etc.). And lots of vegetables and grains. Eat stuff that is not made from other stuff. Drink a lot of water. Track everything you eat and exercise in this app. Make your lunch. Always have some food with you.

Take a picture of yourself every week. Post them on your mirror. Look for the positive changes you see. Know that your scale will go up and down due to the workouts, but your pants don't lie. You will shrink.

Also, plateaus happen. When the weight stops falling off, look around at what you are eating and how you are exercising. Cheating? Not working out hard enough? Make the necessary changes, and the weight will start falling off again.

Be well. A.