Always so tired

Options

Replies

• CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the people who say it could be vitamin deficiency. Try taking vitamin D, magnesium, and B12. You may actually feel a little boost of caffeine free energy as soon as you take them! My vitamin D, magnesium, and B12 were in the toilet last year and you couldn't pry me out of bed for anything. I went to an endo, got those checked out, started taking supplements on the regular, and I feel much, much better. :)
  • Bel0602
    Bel0602 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough?

When I first started dieting I felt tired ALL the time. I seriously would yawn all day. I then realized it was because I wasn't eating enough. Keep yourself hydrated too.
  • UniChef
    UniChef Posts: 1
    Options
    Not just carbs, but high complex carbohydrates. They release the sugars [energy] slower and help you maintain rather than just dumping sugar into your system which will make you crash later.

Good luck.

[and I agree with the excercise part too. Make it a priority and you will get lots of energy!]
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    odds are it's your insulin ups and downs. cut the carbs, learn about migrating to a metabolism that is ketogenic based. and you'll be fine. hi fat, hi protein, low carbohydrate, 60 grams or less of carbs per day and you'll feel much better.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else notice that she stated she suffers from depression and anxiety. She needs to see her doctor. There is no blood work need for a diagnosis of either medication issues or the need for medication. Excessive sleep, fatigue, lack of energy, all are part of depression. Please see your doctor. I live this life and yes exercise helps but sometimes you need more.
  • thisisiamj
    thisisiamj Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    1200 calories makes me tired.
  • Teardrop81
    Teardrop81 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Have you had any testing done at your dr's office? Thyroid disorders can cause you to be unusually tired.

I second this. There could be more to it than your food intake. Get some blood work and rule out the medical stuff first if it is significantly interfering with your life.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Oh, I just read that you wake up several times during the night. This can make you feel sleepy during the day. Try ZzzQuil, it's like NyQuil but only has the sleep aid. It didn't work for me, but I have several friends who swear by it. You could try to train your body to sleep through the night and eventually go off it.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options

That really doesn't seem helpful.

What/how much are you eating? If you just cut your calories, that can cause decreased energy.

I am eating the 1200 net calories a day that MFP has suggested for me. I used to not eat back my exercise calories until I learned that was not what I should be doing, so now I eat them back even tough I am usually not hungry. So I am eating the 1200 calories that suggested.

You're probably still not eating enough. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

If you make these adjustments and still feel tired, you need to see your doctor.
  • Darkefairie
    Darkefairie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was tired all the time and not sleeping even with nytol all the time. then my mother in law suggested magnesium. i did some investigating and it did look like that could be the problem. so i started vit D and magnesium. sleeping brilliantly now and not tired anymore. i have also given up coffee completely as that can cause tiredness
  • Kim0393
    Kim0393 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY how you feel. I have been struggling with the same thing for a while now. Part of it was stress and adrenal fatigue, but the other part was my caloric intake. Before I was probably eating around 1600-1800 calories. After doing some research I figured out I needed to raise my calories. I upped to about 2200 and try to get no less than 250g carbs a day. (Over time I hope to increase that as I have had some metabolic damage I am trying to fix.) If I have eating 2200 calories and I am still hungry (usually on workout days), I eat even more, because I need it for my energy needs. I have much more energy now. Also, making sure I drink enough water to go along with that. So I would suggest you use a GOOD calorie calculator (MFP is really off! It is way too low) I like this one --> http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
    It may seem high but I would at least find your BMR and stay above that!
  • Kim0393
    Kim0393 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would not go low carb. Carbohydrates our are bodies main source of energy. If anything, increase them-- it will help to give you the energy you are lacking. I also recommend seeing your doctor, like some of the others recommend.
  • MaepleT95
    MaepleT95 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I used to eat 1200 calories too, but after about a month of that my energy level dropped and I basically dragged myself around each day waiting to take a nap, I thought there was something seriously wrong with me, but after some reading (myfitnesspal posts) I upped my calories to about 1450 (I am 5'4" ) and my energy bounced up again, maybe you should try to up your calories.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I've just made my diary public so you all can get a better idea of what I am eating. To those of you who are saying to stop thinking about it and just do it or push though it please don't take this the wrong way but it isn't really a helpful suggestion. I don't actually think about it all the time or anything. I was just sitting here at my desk job and realized that I am just always really tired and wondered if any of you guys had any suggestions on how to kick up my energy so I can get things done that need to be. I always do my cardio no matter how tired I am so I always push through it, but the house work is suffering to say the least not mention that I would like to be able to spend time with my husband without falling to sleep 2 minutes into our conversation because I am always tired.

I too suffer from constant fatigue. I sit all day with my job and it seems like inactivity breeds inactivity. I started walking on my lunch hours. It's only a 1/2 hour a day but it's a start. I found that it gave me more energy. My problem is getting motivated to do something after work. I drive for an hour to get home, then I make dinner and once I sit to eat I find it hard to get moving again. And then I get sucked into TV land. :-)

I was doing Jillian Michael's videos on youtube but stopped when I got really busy with Relay for life and other volunteer work. I really had a lot of energy when I did that...so I guess it's time to get back at it.
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will think very hard about talking to my doctor about this. I have a serious phobia of needles though and usually end up in a panic attack before I even get in the parking lot and if I am sick and there is even the smallest remote chance I am going to get a shot then I would rather just suffer through the sickness. So getting blood work done is going to take some serious thought (i've never had blood drawn and my fear of needles and my very very low pain tolerance is one reason I am not to keen to have children). I will be seriously considering it though. Thanks.

oh, honey.... I used to scream bloody murder when I had to get a shot. All the way up to age 13. lol My brother could have slept through getting a shot, but me? You would have thought the doctor was trying to kill me. Nurses had to actually hold me down for a shot. So I totally get your fear of shots.

But after breaking my arm and having to give blood, and get an IV and have surgery, I (thankfully.....) no longer have screaming fits in the doctors office. hahaha
    I still get nervous and a bit light headed and naseus though. But I know it's best for me. And I know there is no other way to know what might be wrong. So I do it. Not often... but when necessary.

This sounds like one of those necessary times... I usually clench my fist, look away, think of other things, strike up a conversation with whoever is drawing the blood.....etc.. If you tell the person it's your first time and you are terrified of needles, they will usually do whatever they can to keep your mind off of it. It will help.

And SERIOUSLY... it feels like a pinch and lasts a few seconds. No lingering pain, no nothing. Quick pinch.

^^ This. I used to be terrified of needles but after having anemia and surgery, with IV drips and multiple blood tests and injections I still faint pretty much every time. But you gotta just grin and bear it, because realistically, you will need something like this at some point, and letting your fear delay you from getting medical diagnosis and treatment could prove very harmful in the long run.

Plus a lot of doctors are really good if you just come out and tell them (I even had one use a tourniquet with dinosaurs on it, I was in my 20's but its the thought that counts).

Also, lying down before exercise might be making it worse. This is just from personal experience though, I find if I have a wee lie down for 10 mins before I exercise I can't run as far or do as many weights. I'm just going into the workout sluggish.

You could even try just getting more iron into your diet, like kale and spinach?
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I find myself the most tired during the work week (where I am at a desk 8-9 hours a day!) I've found that healthy snacks between meals helps stave off some of that exhaustion. Also, looking at your diary it doesn't seem like you are eating a lot of good foods, even though you're staying on track calorie-wise. I would suggest re-evaluating your food choices, try to add in more fruits and vegetables, and fewer bready carbs.

I also saw that someone suggested upping your calories, which I agree with. I did 1200 for 5 months and it was tiring. I find that I have better energy around 1400.

Same here. The work week is the worst for me, I also have an 8 hr a day desk job). I have cut way back on the bready carbs compared to what I used to eat. I try to eat fruit as often as I can and as for vegatables...well I am open to suggestions as to what I can do to get them choked down. Most of the ones I can tolerate are always raw (really don't like most vegetables cooked...or at all due to the texture or their bitterness). Even the ones I can tolerate I can only do say 2 or 3 carrot slices before my gag reflex kicks in and I feel sick. I've even tried smothering them in dips and dressings which still doesn't do the trick.

If it is available at your job (I know some are stricter than others!) make sure you take a 10-15 minute break before lunch and before the end of the day to walk around, this has helped me immensely to just walk outside with a couple of my co-workers.

As far as snacks go, maybe try cucumbers? They're mild in taste and similar to fruits without all the natural sugars. Other than that, I like to snack on carrots/celery with hummus or a sugar-free jello in the afternoon. I'd also suggest that you start adding more protein to your breakfast, and egg with black beans and a slice of toast would be a great way to boost your morning :)
  • _namaste_
    _namaste_ Posts: 246
    Options
    Please look closer at what I said. I said I used to not eat back my exercise calories until i recently learned that I should be. To be specific I just learned that I should be last Wednesday so not even a full week ago. If you look from then till today you can see I have tried very hard to stay very close to my net of 1200 (although i didn't do a good job of tracking my food this weekend so don't look at those days lol :) )

That's a good start but I still don't believe 1200 calories and enough and would bet that has everything to do with why you are tired. 1200 wouldn't even be your BMR, your BMR is probably several hundred calories higher.
  • aliciarose511
    aliciarose511 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    There a lot of good suggestions here, so I apologize if I repeat. I didn't go through every single one.

You mentioned you have a desk job. Do you wear glasses? Have you been to an eye doctor lately? Sometimes if you don't have the proper eye wear and you stare at a computer all day, you can have eye strain which can cause fatigue. I know because this has happened to me!

Also, try eating every couple of hours. I am also on 1200, but I ear every 2-3 hours, and this REALLY helps me stay energized and awake.

As for waking up multiple times at night, I know the feeling. I actually felt that increasing the intensity of my workouts helped with this! When I have a hard workout, I sometimes don't wake up at all through the night, which was so rare before! If you are tired though, it will be hard to get this started.

Good luck. :)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

That really doesn't seem helpful.

What/how much are you eating? If you just cut your calories, that can cause decreased energy.

I am eating the 1200 net calories a day that MFP has suggested for me. I used to not eat back my exercise calories until I learned that was not what I should be doing, so now I eat them back even tough I am usually not hungry. So I am eating the 1200 calories that suggested.

There's your problem. I haven't read through all the pages of responses, but I'm sure you're getting the same answer from a lot of people: eat more.

Many people don't realize it, but not being hungry doesn't necessarily mean you're getting enough food.

Find your TDEE and eat 10%-20% fewer calories than that number.
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    hmmm ok not sure but your dairy today really isnt all that filling ..have you had your Blood sugar checked? I see you take chromium and Cinammon..mostly supplements and a Slim fast in the morning?

Can you add maybe a hard boiled egg? some whole wheat toast with PB? Something to give you a little protein in the morning to start off..

Hope you figure out what works for you :)