lose fat or gain muscle, my delimma

Options
Well, I'm apparently at a point that I'm going to have to choose to either build muscle or lose fat. I've had my calories set so my base is 1200 calories. But theoretically, if I was to stay at 1200 all the time it would be 1.2 lbs per week.

Here's my problem. I always always always go over my calories by 200-400. Weight wise I've been at a stand still for over 3 months now. But I've seen inches go down and I do see improvement from my progress pictures.

I strength train quite a bit and I lift heavy. 3 sets 4-8 reps to failure. I've been doing couch to 5k for cardio and I through in some hiking, circuit boxing and dancing in the mix as well. (I don't do all of these every day, just one or two.) The other day I tried to stay within my calories and ended up being fatigued and drained all the next day.

I've been working hard for my muscles and I don't want to lose them. But I've got this layer of fat covering my muscles and well, that sucks. So, do I work harder on staying in my deficit to lose the fat. Or should I change my calorie goals to compensate and continue to work the weights?

I'm not so concerned with the number on the scale as I am with muscle definition.

I'm getting tired so I hope this all made sense.

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    bump! (I'm in a similar situation & want to see what everyone says)
  • phatzzzs
    Options
    I would saw up the calorie and go for the muscle definition...........not sure how to change what your doing to add a change up to your muscles................good luck!
  • tina_011794
    Options
    Another possible suggestion would be to change your diet up. You could do two things. You could zig-zag calories, do a few days higher calories, then a day lower. Or you could increase your protein, decrease fat & carbs. The higher protein should not only help build muscle, but it should also help burn fat. The more muscle you increase, the higher your metabolic rate will be, thus, fat lose.

Hope this helps.
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Up protein, drop carbs

Basically eat really clean, nothing processed and you will get that definition.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I am in the same position and do similar training. Have been eating at basically maintenance it seems as I haven't been able to lose the last bit of stubborn fat. Have been feeling quite drained which I am thinking could be because of the amount of training vs the amount of food consumed. So I am now thinking that I am going to up my calories and try and gain some muscle (which I don't think will be hard as I am an endomorph and naturally larger) and I will be analysing results via weight gain and BF% estimates to see if I am on the right track. If I can put on a bit of muscle then BMR will increase and then if I drop back to my previous intake then that "should" be a calorific deficit and as long as I continue the current training and keep protein high then I should be able to lose predominantly fat rather than muscle. Well that's the plan anyway :)

See http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/116986-g-flux-by-john-berardi
  • lucifa73
    Options
    I'm getting ot that stage too and have decided to accept that the last bit is just going to take a bit longer. I am trying to eat as clean as possible without being a complete bore and am switching up the exercise. Based on some reading, I am also dropping unnecessary fluids (so will essentially drink my 2-3 litres of water and nothing else), ditching salt wherever possible and upping protein, reducing carbs.

You need also to remember that women are genetically predisposed to retain body fat so this stage is tougher for us than for guys.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    OK so this is a dilemma for a lot of people. And it's a tough one, I went through it, and understand what you mean.

Here's what it took me a long time to learn. Once you start closing in on your goals, you need to reduce your deficit in order to continue to lose fat. The other thing it took me a lot of time to realize (and I still have a tad bit of trouble with it mentally on a personal level) is that you really can't gain muscle mass while in a deficit, no matter how hard you try, it just won't happen. You can define and strengthen existing muscles, and activate a few that were dormant (if you go from inactive to active that is), but you just cannot gain muscle mass while in a catabolic state. That's just pure human physiology. This is different from just becoming functionally stronger, you can do that (to a point), and maybe tone up some by losing some of the fat and adding a small amount of additional glycogen to feed newly activated muscle (which usually pretty much keeps your weight in stasis, and explains people losing inches but not weight), but if you're at a deficit, any deficit, you won't gain any (significant) muscle mass.

I think what a lot of women (and some men too, like myself) have the hardest time with is if they do make a decision to put on a little muscle, it's hard for them to mentally wrap their head around healthy surplus eating.

It's not all about protein, that's a myth, the body will only use so much protein, any extra will just be used for energy and fat storage, just like carbohydrates, it's about eating healthy foods in slight excess, knowing what to expect, and being patient as muscle (by weight) takes 4 to 6 times as long to add as fat does to remove. So where it may take you 1 month to lose 5 or 6 lbs of fat, it can take you 4 or 5 months to gain 5 lbs of muscle. But the up side is 5 lbs of muscle is noticeable in most people, very noticeable, not only in your appearance, but in your ability and strength as well.

dunno if this helps you, I may have gone off on a tangent, but hopefully it does.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I'm going to study the G-flux thing. It's very hard, when you've been fat for so long to not want to eat in such a low deficit. At this time, I'm going to move up to maintenance calories. Check my progress, slowly start moving down again and see how that goes.

I eat plenty of protein (120g) a day. I think I need to fine tune my macronutrients (I think that's what they're called.)