Just one more question... (at least for now)

Options
I was wondering if anyone out there that owns, or uses a bodybugg has found that it under estimates the calories burned. I bought a bodybugg and I've been using it exclusively to count my calories burned for the day, but it seems that I burn way fewer calories than I would expect, even with majorly difficult workouts. My question is, if I am significantly under-counting calories could I potentially be burning enough that my body is going to go into conservation/ "starvation" mode? I have found that over the last couple of weeks I am absolutely ravenous (even days that I eat the correct foods at frequent intervals) and I seem to have fewer and fewer calories to work with. I would appreicate any insight you may have.

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I use one too - I believe that the gym machines and MFP are way overestimating, because I get the same thing - it shows that I burn a lot less than the other estimates. But, it seems accurate - when I wear it consistently and log all my food, it pretty accurately predicts my weight loss.

I'd believe the bodybugg over the other calorie estimates.

Do you eat your exercise calories? If not, that would probably be why you're hungry. If you already do and you're still hungry, you may just need to wait out an adjustment period. It was tough for me at first (I'm on 1200 cals/day plus exercise calories), but after an adjustment period it got a lot easier. If you try and just can't get used to eating a lower amount, then you may try adjusting your goal to make it easier. (change from 2 lbs/week to 1.5 or whatever is applicable to you.) Or just up your calories a little without adjusting your goal. Your weight loss may slow a little, but if it's a lot easier to stick to it might be better in the long run.

Good luck!
  • krizrose
    Options
    All I have to say is I agree with Trenton!
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I have to ask though...how doyou know which one is accurate?
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I have to ask though...how doyou know which one is accurate?

Well - the gym machines and MFP are based on very generic formulas, while the BodyBugg is based on various measurements taken from your specific body:

* Motion: The armband contains an accelerometer that measures motion from multiple perspectives.
    * Steps: The accelerometer counts steps by measuring the distinct patterns created by running or walking.
    * Galvanic skin response: When you sweat, your skin becomes more electrically conductive. This measurement helps the device understand how active you are.
    * Skin temperature: There’s an electronic thermometer inside your armband that monitors how hot you are.
    * Heat flux: When you move, your muscles produce heat. Your armband measures the heat that’s flowing from your body into the environment.

(from the BodyBugg website)

Based on this info, it makes sense that the BodyBugg would be more accurate, and this matches my experience - I use the BodyBugg's calorie estimates (I wear it all day every day) and when you compare what it says I burn all day to what I eat, it's a pretty accurate estimate of the weight I lose.
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks! That's more than I thought it took into account, so that makes sense!
  • ropsnik
    ropsnik Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have found that the calories counters on the treadmills are overstated against the results from my Heart Rate Monitor. I also have found the results of my HRM are in the ball park with the MFP calorie counts.