NET question.

Options
My calorie count for myself is 1490, today I exercised and burned 560 cals.... As of right now... It says this:
Goal:1490
Food:1357
Exercise: 560
Net: 797
Remaining:693

Do I need to eat more tonight because my NET seems low? I am still confused on NET calories. Any help?

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Net should say 1490.

Calories remaining should say 0.
  • jeslaughter
    jeslaughter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Net should say 1490.

No, so sorry, you are not correct, it should show she has calories left to have today. MFP will add her exercise, it should show her calories burned as calories she can use, if she chooses to do so. BUT.....If she has already calculated her exercise into her original daily calories allowed then she should not post her exercise calories.

OP..It is a personal choice to eat your exercise calories but you should at least eat part of them for the best most consistent results,
    {Personally, I only pay attention to what calories I have eaten, what exercise I have spent and what is left for the day, who cares about the net.}
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    um MFP doesn't figure in your exercise until you log it. So, yes, she should be eating back most of those calories, and calories remaining should be close to 0. Net should read 1490.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you set your original calorie goal. If when you were going through the set up and selected say exercise 3/4 times a week or whatever it is it automatically calculates your exercise calories into your daily goal. If you selected sedentary you should eat back at least half your exercise calories so you aren't messing with your metabolism.

Eta: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

Might be worth reading and maybe clear things up a bit :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Net should say 1490.

This is correct if you are using MFP as intended. At the end of the day you should have 0 - or close to zero calories remaining and your net should match your goal - or be very close.

If you don't want to eat all the exercise calories back at least have a net of 1200.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Reposting since won't let me edit again to clear up my sleepy response lol. You should always try to get your net to at least 1200 (important to do this so not messin up you metabolic rate and losing larger amounts of lean muscle instead of fat). But whether you log and eat back exercise calories depends on how you set your activity level for your calorie goal. Hope that made more sense then what I posted before.