tracking overnight

Options
I'm not sure if this is already a topic so I apologize if it is in advance.

So I have a big tendency to eat at night. What time would I track this as? When do you track it for the next day and when does it count for today? I have major sleeping issues so sometimes I don't sleep til 4 am. So far I've been tracking it as until I go to bed and sleep anything I've eaten that day counts for that day. Once I wake up only then do I track for the next day. I wanted to clarify this because for all I know this is why it's impossible for me to lose weight at the moment:)

Thanks for your help and support.

Replies

• wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that the mfp food diary tracker actually does flip to the next day at 12:01am, so I just follow it. If I'm out after midnight and have a drink or snacks, I just plug it in and let it fall where the tracker puts it. It doesn't really matter which day it falls on; the calories in need to be less than the calories out consistently, and the time or date doesn't seem to matter.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour night shifts 3 nights a week and sleep several hours during the day, so I count that night as part of my day intake. It is the total 24 hour intake for me.
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    if you are having a tough time losing, get yourself a food scale and weigh your food, you'll be shocked how much more you can eat when you actually weigh things out. if you are having a hard time hitting your daily calorie goals, change your weight loss goals to losing 1 lbs per week, but make sure all food is tracked properly

as far as your other question, eating times will not affect weight loss, so yeah, you can track your daily calories for 1 day until you hit the sack, once you wake up, you start a new day, there is nothing magical about midnight, other than your MFP diary will reset at midnight

having said that, inaccurate tracking is usually the first culprit in not losing weight
  • missylee117
    missylee117 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i SOMETIMES BINGE AT NIGHT ALSO, so if I do, I add all I ate to the previous day, because really you should be sleeping for 6 to 8 hours w/out food, your body really should fast over nite and you should be hungry in the am. Try drinking water before bed, like I said I used to do it a lot but now its just once in awhile, I find if I eat a little sweet before bed, it usually holds me over till morning.
    Good luck Ill be rooting for ya............
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I logged 6 yes 6 Oreos from last night on today's diary! Ughhhhhh not eating them tonight I can tell ya)
  • curvygirly911
    curvygirly911 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help :) It cleared things up for me