Sick and feeling guilty

Options
I didn't feel well Saturday or Sunday, today hasn't been much better, dizzy and nauseated. Just not myself, but I feel so guilty that I haven't worked out since Friday :(. I worked out 5 days straight before that. Part of me thinks I should tough it out and get my butt downstairs and do 30 minutes, but I'm having a really hard time doing so. What do you all do in cases like this?

Replies

• Dropka
    Dropka Posts: 72
    Options
    You have to listen to your body, not your mind.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I know exactly where you are coming from. I was sick twice this spring and couldn't work out for about 4 days. You need to rest, or it will take you longer to get back to normal. Just try to eat sensibly and don't over do it on "comfort foods" like crackers or ice cream or anything. Funny thing is, even after being sick and not working out, I was the same weight. REST!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    It took me a long time to be able to be honest with myself and differentiate between being sick & making excuses. Only you can answer this question for yourself.

If it were me though? It sounds like something is genuinely going on. I would take another day off.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You have to listen to your body, not your mind.
    ^^^ this for sure!
  • harms97
    harms97 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm staying within my calories, I think I'm so used to working out consistently that I feel lazy not doing it.
  • lcransaw
    lcransaw Posts: 95
    Options
    Don't workout while you are sick. I just fought off a stomach bug, and my eating and workout were off. I still lost while giving myself time to heal. Your body will thank you for it.
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    Sometimes we just need to let our bodies rest and other times we need to get moving to get to feeling better.

If you think moving your body will make you feel better, try a light, gentle exercise to start with and see if that is helping or if it's making you feel worse.

If you feel worse, call it quits and go rest and take care of yourself.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    no, you stay true to your body and if its sick you shouldn't be exercising. it will pass and you can work out then. Feel better :flowerforyou:
    016496 Posts: 1
    Options
    Wait until you feel better otherwise you may have a setback.
  • IamMeMa5
    IamMeMa5 Posts: 12
    Options
    I hope you are better today. Don't push yourself. Your body knows best. I have found that in the past I experienced illness if when dieting and exercising, I am neglete to include some important nutrients in my diet. That is the great thing about myfitnesspal, you can monitor that with no extra effort. Watch your iron, protein and potassium. Keep those at good levels and you are able to avoid weakness and are less susceptible to illness. Even if this does not apply to your current conditon, you can't fight off illnesses and regain your strength when these nutrients are depleted.

Take care of yourself. Eat smart and you will still control your weight and even lose but safely.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    your body has to be well enough to kick some butt.
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm staying within my calories, I think I'm so used to working out consistently that I feel lazy not doing it.

I feel the same way. When I am sick or just can't fit a workout in I feel lazy for not doing it.
    But our bodies do need rest and this may be your bodies way of getting that rest. So definitely take it easy.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options

I am not telling you to push yourself if you are sick BUT...I have something that happens to me where if I dont work out for too many days in a row I get sick. Yes. I get sick from NOT exercising.. My body is used to a steady flow of adrenaline and endorphin's that I dont get from just staying within my cals. I actually am addicted to exercise and I need to move. Idk your situation but if you have a strong URGE to work-out then DO. I have never heard of accelerated heart rate, movement and/or sweating making a cold/flu Worse. So go for it!
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    My body can get all the same cold/flu symptoms from a lack of movement. I think its important to push through. If the exercise doesnt make you feel better you will KNOW that you need more rest. Here's a helpful link:

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/features/exercising-when-sick
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Are you eating ENOUGH calories? Just making sure that you are not dizzy and nauseated from working out 5 days straight. As long as you are eating enough calories to cover your exercise burn, just do what you can handle. You will know if you need to stop. Make sure you are pushing a lot of water as well.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    When you're sick, all bets are off until you get healthy. That includes food and exercise. If it applies to sick and pregnant people during lent, it counts for people here too! LOL (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!)

Really though, listen to your body. Don't guilt yourself into trying to exercise if you're already sick. You'll decrease what little defenses you have and make it harder for you to get better faster. The quicker you get better, the sooner you can get back to doing the things you want to do like exercise.