Hi from Melbourne, Australia

Options
Hi All,

Just joined this website today whilst looking through apps for my phone :) So far apart from finding it difficult to add the foods I've eaten (as some are home cooked and others are just plain not listed by any Australians), it's looking pretty good.

Hope to hear from others =]

Kitty

Replies

• muffintop22
    Options
    Hi, I just joined yesterday when I got an app for my phone too! I'm finding it hard not having foods for Australia too but I'm trying to work my way around it. Hopefully they can get some food on here for us Aussies :)
  • Clairemi11s
    Options
    Hi welcome to MFP, Ive been doing this for about 7 weeksnow & its really helped me to make healthier choices when I eat...feel free to add me as a friend if you want to. Good luck x

1421521.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • rana_bear
    Options
    yay more aussies :-). I haven't found it too difficult compared to other calorie counting sites because other members have added things and theres the option for us to add our own foods. Even if the brands aren't exact as to what your eating as least some foods will be a pretty good estimate. But i agree it would be nice to have more brands on the site that us aussies see on the shelves and in metric measures to please lol i think the hardest part is converting measurements.
  • MiekeJ
    MiekeJ Posts: 139
    Options
    If you would like some new Aussie pals, you can steal some of mine....I have plenty! :-D
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If you would like some new Aussie pals, you can steal some of mine....I have plenty! :-D

Guilty.

I found the first few weeks took a lot of adding food to the database. After that, entering food became much faster. Just remember to divide by 4.184 to convert kj to calories and keep a calculator widget open :)

I'm from Canberra btw.
  • Lilkitty
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys/girls :)

I find it particularly hard to say how much you've eaten and drank too..

Eg. I was trying to put that I had a Spiced Chai Latte...................and eventually when I randomly chose one, it was asking how many ounces or something...or that was for food too =\

And I DONT know how many OUCNES I eat/drink >_<

What do all of you put for stuff like that? =S
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hmm... 1 cup = 8 ounces. A normal sized coffee cup or takeaway cup is usually 1 cup (250ml). If its a gian mug, I really can't tell, maybe ask the staff.

One tip: buy a kitchen scale and a measuring cup (mine has cups, ml, oz, and a few other units). The digital scales are better because the analogue ones are hard to measure small amounts with. That'll be the best investment in your weightloss that you make. Digital scales can cost ~$50 but its well worth it. If you try to guess, you will be wrong.
  • Lilkitty
    Options
    Ah thanks for that Dom_m :)
    That really helped :)
  • urdestined
    Options
    Hi, I'm a victorian too and have just joined up to this awesome site! It's a great way to really keep yourself in check!
  • tee75
    tee75 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi There

I down loaded a app for conversion which has helped but also take a look in the back of any marie claire of womens weekly cookbook and they have good conversion tables. Also the english brands make for easier comparisons i find. I often look at Tesco and Waitrose and Sainsbury brand equivilaents, they are big UK supermarkets like Coles and Woolies so it is less oz etc..But the more we all add in ourselves the better.

And there are some really good Aussie sites which give calories of Australian products, so if i am really not sure, i go there and check. One site which gives the total breakdown - even of a vegemite sandwich (how Aussie) - is Calorie King Australia.

This programme is not 100% geared for Australians but I am still finding it so so useful...and I am losing some Kgs.

Good Luck...