How long (water weight?)

Options
Hi there MFP Community,
Before I left for vacation I weighed in at 122 lbs. I got back from vacation two days ago and I weighed in at 125 lbs. I was thinking some of it was water retention and so I was not too worried about it, but I weighed in today (so two days after vacation), and I am still 125 lbs. Is this real weight gain at this point?

I am currently eating 1540 calories per day PLUS the calories I burn from exercise... I want a small deficit and according to Scoobysworkshop and calculating my TDEE I could eat 1800-2000 calories per day and maintain my weight. So at this point, I believe it is still a deficit. What are your thoughts? I am feeling really discouraged about this weight gain from vacation.

Replies

• jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I've seen mine stick around between 3-5 days, but I'd be interested in other's responses

bump
  • Getting_Lean
    Options
    I've seen mine stick around between 3-5 days, but I'd be interested in other's responses

bump
    Thanks for your response- How did you get rid of your water weight?
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Drank so much water I thought I was going to start floating down the hallway at work. I've heard if you drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces it'll help. It sounds counter-intuitive, but apparently your body needs water to release water.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Did you fly or go somewhere warmer than your current home by chance. You probably are holding on to some water. Flying does it to me, even if I drink non stop on the plane, which I never do because i hate the bathrooms. Also, when I`m in my second home in the dominican I retain water due to the heat. It`s really hot there right now. No amount of flushing my system can stop it. Just eat some cucumber, some water melon, maybe some dandelion tea if you have some, watch your salt. Maybe even do a good sweat at the gym or some hot yoga to push some of the excess salt out. And wait. Nothing else you can do.
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Drinking extra fluids and getting a good sweat on will help with the water weight.
    Sweat has salt in it, and salt is one of the elements in water retention.
  • ditditdee
    ditditdee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'd think that if you are a woman, that where you are currently at in your cycle may have something to do with it as well. I generally COUNT on 5 lbs of water weight during my PMS week.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I went out drinking Friday night and was 3lbs heavier Saturday morning. It's Monday and I'm just not getting rid of it.
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    Put the scale away. Weighing yourself every day will just make you crazy.

Lots of reasons why you might be fluctuating right now, stop stressing over it. (stress causes weight gain btw).

Eat healthy, drink lots of water and exercise and only weigh yourself every ten days or so and as close to the same time as you can each time with the same scale.

You just got home from vacation, once your life settles back into its normal routine your weight should also settle back down.
  • Getting_Lean
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the comments- while I did not fly anywhere, I can see how that makes sense- good for future use!
    I got in a good sweat session yesterday and today and have been drinking over 10 glasses of water per day! Hopefully it is not REAL weight gain!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Drank so much water I thought I was going to start floating down the hallway at work. I've heard if you drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces it'll help. It sounds counter-intuitive, but apparently your body needs water to release water.

I did this too and over course of a week dropped like five pounds in water weight...

Basically you should be pissing like a race horse...I usually slam down like three glasses of water before bed...
  • Getting_Lean
    Options

I did this too and over course of a week dropped like five pounds in water weight...

Basically you should be pissing like a race horse...I usually slam down like three glasses of water before bed...

Great- so are you thinking like 10 glasses of water per day? Half of my body weight would be 65 ounces of water per day?
  • Siegel15
    Siegel15 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

This.

If I DON'T drink that huge glass of water before bed, I wake up at least 2-3 pounds heavier the next day, that even with eating 1200 cals per day and NOT eating back 400 in exercise. I am extremely sensitive to salt. ANY salt. I battle with water weight only all the time. I can stay at the same weight for 10 days, then dump 2 pounds over night. It's really frustrating but, at least I KNOW it's gonna all come off this time around. I also live in a very hot climate.