So should I keep them?

Options
I would like your opinion on some home equipment that I presently own. That quite honestly until today I have been wanting to get rid of.

First a little history, which I will try to keep short.

I am a 53 year old female. My DH passed away 1 year ago. I have our mini farm listed for sale, and will be looking for a much smaller home, but probably with the same acerage, as I still want to keep all the livestock. The livestock entails a fair amount of work. I work between 30 to 40 hours off the "farm" and after returning home, I usually get in the house, have something for dinner about 10pm. Can't tell you the last time I sat on my couch, or watched the tv. I am very active.

I HATE to exercise. <<<<<<<Can't say this strongly enough.......I HATE TO EXERCISE.

But after seeing the AWESOME transformations of folks that are lifting weights and doing all this exercising, I am more open to the idea that I may/will need to do "something"

I have a Cross Bow by Weider 2000X and a Gazelle edge. I never used them. They were my husbands.

Are either of these items worth keeping? Or would I be better served with a couple of dumb bells, walking and some dvd's, which may all fit better in my new home.............(which I have yet to purchase or even find!)

Thank you for reading and your replies.

PS. that is a picture of my husband and I. Isn't he a cutie? I sure do miss him.

Replies

• rideshorses
    rideshorses Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Really, no opinions?
    I could really use the advise.

Thank you
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to use them or won't find the time to use them -- get rid of them. No sense keeping something you don't want or won't use eve if someone else thinks they are "great"

It sounds like you get a pretty good workout on a daily basis just working on your farm.
  • geckospot
    geckospot Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My job is very active, too, and all the exercise equipment in the basement including the DVDs and game consoles are totally wasted on me. I prefer to be outside actually working my body and it sounds like you do as well.

Get rid of the equipment, focus on better meals (haven't seen your food diary). When you're settled in your new place then make fresh decisions.

Good luck.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have a small house (about 900 sq ft) and I would not know where to put an exercise machine. When I work out at home, I use DVD or equipment I can put away in a cupboard when I'm done. If I want to use a machine, I have to go the gym (which I don't really mind at all).

I don't see the equipment working out for you if its going to take up a lot of space and not get much use. I'm sorry about your loss. I've wondered how my life would change if my DH died before I did. What I would want to keep, what I would change. I wish you the best!
  • eyesoneternity
    Options
    You hate exercise. Why would you keep exercise equipment? You are extremely active (which is exercise as far as I'm concerned) and doing what you love. Keep that up (and you will because you love it). If you don't like doing something, you won't keep doing it. Blessings on your journey!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them.
  • MrsBioChem
    MrsBioChem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It looks like you definitely don't need the cardio machine; sell it. Keep the Bowflex for a month or two. If you use it, great. If you don't use it, sell it.
  • rideshorses
    rideshorses Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your replies. The vote is in. I will sell/donate/give away the equipment.
  • allanakrich
    Options
    I'm a little late with my comments but here's my thoughts- the best form of physical activity /exercises is what you will do. So if you haven't used the equipment ever then the likelihood of using them is pretty small. Try to find something you enjoy. Maybe a group class or DVD. With all the work around the farm you likely get a lot of strength type of exercise what you may need is a aerobic type of activity where you keep you heart rate elevated for at least 20-30 minutes. This gives you the cardiovascular benefit.