400 lbs and I'm RUNNING! =)

Options
I've wanted to run a marathon for most of my life but I really believed that my weight made that never possible but last month a friend of mine ran her first race (she's fit and not overweight) and I was so jealous I couldn't stand it and I decided to see if I could physically run and boy could I run! I did it! It felt amazing so I have kept running over the past month and now I'm running so well I have decided to run my first marathon! It is only a 5K run but I can't wait to do it! My husband is so impressed by my ability and dedication to run...he has joined me and is now training with me to run with me in the race! I can't believe it....I can actually say...I'm now a runner...even at this weight! It's so true that it's not my body that is holding me back....it's my mind! Change the mind and you change everything! Awesome! =)

Replies

• jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Bravo! That's awesome!!

Took me a while until I could run comfortably. Took a while before I could even ride a bike comfortably. lol
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    That's great! I also believe that our mind can be a barrier. Good job breaking throught it and on continuing with it!:drinker:
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    that's awesome! And running can do so much more for the mind, not just for the body!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    we are all so proud of you!!! KEEP GOING! :)
  • luckyladybug24
    luckyladybug24 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for such wonderful encouragement! =D
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    That's so great. Thanks for sharing!
    Be careful, though. New runners often push too hard-too soon and injure themselves. Shin splints. Plantar fasciitis. Even stress fractures. (I've had them all; I am the injury expert.) Remember, slow and steady gets her done!
  • Twylyght
    Twylyght Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!! Running is the best...I absolutely love it! I actually just ran my first 5k this past Saturday and I have another one in 4 weeks! You will love the feeling of pride and accomplishment when you cross that finish line!! You Go!!
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Very proud of u! A true inspiration to us all!
  • caribear1984
    caribear1984 Posts: 203
    Options
    Good for you! It really is a mental game. Your brain says stop long before your body does. Good luck in your race!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Woo Hoo! Go you! :happy:
  • butterflyluv1218
    Options
    That is amazing! Good for you! :flowerforyou:
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    That is awesome and YOU are even MORE AWESOME!!! You can do it babe! Don't give up!! :flowerforyou:
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    You rock! :glasses:
  • nolongerXXL
    nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!!! I'm very excited for you!

I was never a runner before, but I gave C25K a try and I love it now!!

Congratulations and I can't wait for your updates!!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    A goof friend of mine, who to this day is such an inspiration to me once told me that "a large part of what holds you back is in your head" and I wholeheartedly agree with her. Congratulations to you and your hubby!
  • jodoho001
    jodoho001 Posts: 4
    Options
    Very inspiring. Keep up the good work
  • knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Options
    Wow! I'm about half that, and it seems that I CAN'T run. How did you start with it?
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THIS!!! You are incredible and totally inspiring!! Please let us know how well you did on the 5k and keep up the great work! *high five*