sugar free energy drinks...yes or no

Options
Is it okay to have one a day...or should I stay away from them completely. I do drink mostly water and about 3 cups of coffee with milk a day. I need something else to drink that is healthy. I like V8 but the sodium is so high. Any suggestions?

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    It's not good for you. While I'm on night shift, I typically do have a sugar-free Monster to help me get through the night (caffeine makes me sleepy, so it's about the only option), but I am looking forward to getting off of them again when I go back to days in a couple weeks. If you don't have a pressing need, I would avoid them. Water is your best bet, and tea can be good as well (I can only take green tea). No-sugar added juice is a decent option as well, if you have the calories for it.
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Not as good as water sure, but no where have i seen where one a day is bad for you. Moderation would be key. But to each their own. I have a sugar free rockstar almost daily. I have never seen an ill effect from it. Sugar levels normal, blood pressure normal. Pulse. Normal. But everyone is different. If you like it. Do it.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    YES! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD YES!
  • pheasant5
    pheasant5 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Energy drinks are crap......stay away from them.
  • NK102
    NK102 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think V8 has a low sodiium choice. I add a wee little bit of juice to my water sometimes to give me a little zip. Green Iced tea rocks. If you brew it and put some natural Organic Agave sweetner (about 12 TBS per pint with 5/6 green tea bags) This should make a quart of very good green tea with a touch of sweetness that isn't Splenda or Sweet n Low. I can rock that and water all day! Agave, you probably know, is the same calorie count as honey and sugar but without the effects on your glycimic system, so it is a good choice. Also I use Stevia (just Stevia no additives) that is a natural sweetner, which is very low, or practically no calories.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    If you are truly interested in getting off of them, dilute them. I occasionally have a fake sugar drink, but I find them cloyingly sweet, so I usually cut them by half or so with sparkling water.
  • KayaVice
    KayaVice Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing so many bad things about sugar free stuff I avoid them when possible. May have one a month. I usually drink herbal naturally caffeine free fruit teas, with a splash of 100% fruit juice (no sugar added) to give it a little hint of sweetness. Lemon water rocks.
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking energy drinks(sugar and sugar free) daily for a couple of years.. in my opinion all the unnatural ingredients are bad enough... daily consumption of them? Who knows what you're doing to your body! I'm actually trying to quit them but they've become addictive and I can't.(not to mention friends/family continue to buy them for me.) If given the chance I would have cut them off way earlier to avoid the addiction.