30 Day Shred Question

Hi all! I just completed my first day of the 30 day shred today, and it was definitely a challenge (except the flys, I'm used to more weight with those but it was an effective cooldown without having to pause).

I was wondering for those of you who have done it and seen those awesome results, did you add it in on top of your other workouts or did you switch to the 30DS alone with your eating right?

For the past couple months I've been doing 45-60 minutes of swimming laps a day, alternating my strokes for the interval effect. Should I keep going to the pool, possibly for 30-45 minutes a day after the DVD or should I switch it up for a while? Thanks for the input!

Replies

• TripZeros
    TripZeros Posts: 144 Member
    Okay first of all... AWESOME PROFILE PICTURE of the beautiful Tardis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Second of all... I do the 30DS along with my other workouts! I don't do one instead of the other, or cut down my times on other workouts.
  • shirleylmartin
    shirleylmartin Posts: 68 Member
    I've tried to get into the 30DS, but I just couldn't. The same thing pretty much every day was sort of boring for me. But not everyone is the same, and I'm sure you will get results if you stick with it. :)
  • shinerai
    shinerai Posts: 9 Member
    I might have to wait a few days before introducing lap swimming back into my routine from the 30DS. To be honest it really did kick my *kitten* and I was really tired afterward! So as I get used to it, I'm sure I will have enough energy to get back in the pool. I'll give it a few days and see how I feel :)
  • TripZeros
    TripZeros Posts: 144 Member
    My first day was not easy... I'm on day 5 now and I'm not sore anymore and I have WAY more energy than I did on day 1. It's now the start of my day and I like to end with a nice 2-4 mile walk/jog. Definitely don't over do it :) The swim might make those sore muscles feel a bit better!
  • knyboer
    knyboer Posts: 3 Member
    I wasn't planning to add additional exercise when I started the shred, but around day 4-5 I found that I had a ton more energy than before and started adding short jogs afterwards. I'm on day 21 tomorrow and I've been adding in biking and jogging (around 2 miles) when I have the time/energy or am just looking to mix up the workout monotony a bit. I'm loving the shred, although it's getting tedious, and I've already seen great results! Excited to start level 3!
  • mjgo56
    mjgo56 Posts: 93 Member
    I have similar questions: Do you do one level until it is "easy", then go to the next level, etc? Or do you mix up the routines so it doesn't become tedious? I just did day 1 today as well.
  • shinerai
    I'm glad to see that so many people on MFP get good results from the 30DS, which is why I wanted to give it a go in the first place. I will keep the thread updated I think :) I was under the impression that you did each level at 10 days, mjgo56.
  • sferriby
    sferriby Posts: 1 Member
    Does anyone know how to log the 30day shred on there MFP. Am about to start it but I like to log everything and ba eby found it in the database??

Or do people just put it in as 20min cardio??
  • ALittleBitLess1
    ALittleBitLess1 Posts: 119 Member
    I record it as 20 min cardio

Gillians website apparently recomends this -

Multiply 3.267 x your weight and that is how many calories burned in an hour so divide this by 3 and that is your burn for 20 minutes.

Lots of people recommend using a heart rate monitor and there is quite a variation in the results people get..

I get 156 is I use MFP estimation

I get 137 if I use Gillians calculation

Others with same stats as me (5ft2, 126lbs) get 230 cals with HRM

I choose to keep logging mine as circuit training general 20 mins.

Oh and stick with it, its sooo worth it, my arms are starting to look fab and my waist and hips getting trimmer too!
  • ALittleBitLess1
    ALittleBitLess1 Posts: 119 Member
    I have similar questions: Do you do one level until it is "easy", then go to the next level, etc? Or do you mix up the routines so it doesn't become tedious? I just did day 1 today as well.

level one for 10 days, level 2 for days and then level 3 for 10 days.
    The aim is to do it every day for 30 days, but some people plan in 4days on, 1 days off, others weekends off. personally I think its best to just keep going, the first 2-3 days of each level are really tough then it eases off a bit.
    You don't want it to be easy though or it would mean you wern't working out so hard!
    Good luck!!
    Also if you have the DVD there is an audio option to turn her off so you can put your own tunes on too once you get into the routine.
  • shinerai
    Day 2 was slightly easier, and I don't mind the music/her voice. I used to train with a trainer in an all-women's gym though, so I'm used to cheesy music lol
  • rainydays5
    rainydays5 Posts: 217 Member
    I keep starting it then stopping then starting then stopping, haha. I like walking/jogging on my treadmill so much more. I get bored easy what can I say. I would love to be able to get through it all but not sure I ever will :/
  • mjgo56
    mjgo56 Posts: 93 Member
    I'm glad to see that so many people on MFP get good results from the 30DS, which is why I wanted to give it a go in the first place. I will keep the thread updated I think :) I was under the impression that you did each level at 10 days, mjgo56.
    Thank you very much. I did decide to go that route as well and just got back to your post. I at level 2 day 6 tomorrow. Those plank position exercises are killers.