Egg whites for breakfast?

Options
2»

Replies

• hhbsd
    hhbsd Posts: 6
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks. Gotta do what works for you.

When I started adjusting my diet 7 months ago, I went from a buttered bagel almost every day of the week to 2-3 egg whites a day during the week and maybe some onion and turkey sausage added on the weekends (usually later breakfast). Early on I continued to treat myself to (hollowed out) bagel Fridays at the office, but after I got used to the egg whites, I found I started missing the protein and changed to half a hollowed out bagel with the whites. My wife told me I needed to eat more b/f, but when I had an egg white omelet with veggies and stuff, I felt hungrier, earlier. Oatmeal leaves me ravenous when I eat it.

For me, I eat a small breakfast, moderate lunch (~400-500 cal turkey sandwich with lots of veggies), afternoon snacks (jerkey, carrots, almonds, occasional baked lays or granola bar) and larger dinner with usually fruit or sugar free puddings for dessert.

I have a desk job and am not out and about that much. My daily exercise is mainly walking to and from work (~3 miles) plus another 1-3 miles of walking most days.

I know "they" say big dinners are not the way to go, but this is what works for me. The more I eat, the more I want to eat...

edit: I should add, egg whites grossed me out for the first 2 weeks until I got used to them. I do have whole eggs from time to time, but for how many I eat a week, would be very bad for my cholesterol...
  • mama2mila
    mama2mila Posts: 92
    Options
    the mornings I go to the gym, I go at 5am... (2-3 days/week). 2 days I lift, and I'm fine on an empty stomach. 1-2 mornings I run, and again, I'm fine on an empty stomach. I drink a TON of water, so I generally don't have my cottage cheese/banana/protein shake until 7:30am. That's what I have on workout mornings (1/2 c lowfat cottage cheese, 1 frozen banana, 1/2 T chia seeds, 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder, either strawberries, raspberries, or cherries, and a little bit of water to blend it up. Other mornings I'll have steel cut oats w/ peanut butter and banana, toast with pb and banana, eggs and toast - and a banana. I like to vary it up, and generally stick in the 350-400 calorie range.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Some people are on different schedules.

I *usually* eat between 100-200 cals for breakfast, abt 300 for lunch and then have 2 dinners - one right when I get home from work and then another after I've worked out.
    Though I agree, if I were working out in the morning I would definitely have a heavier meal then.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Personally I can't stand just the whites, I'm eating the whole egg or no egg at all. I also don't think I could get over wasting the yolk, either, because I'm oldschool about food waste. I dont' think most people who are just eating the white are doing anything but throwing away the yolk.
    Perhaps they are eating more smaller meals throughout the day and that egg whites with tomato is just to get things going.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    When I eat egg whites I mix with whole eggs and I'm using packaged whites so the yolks are used for something else hence: no waste.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Is this person very similar to you in their weight, age, workout routine? Otherwise, isn't it kind of like comparing apples and oranges? Like me, I'm not usually hungry at breakfast and so I usually eat yogurt, fruit and nuts. But, if I lifted weights, it would be in the evening.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    eggs it's what's for breakfast, lunch and well sometimes dinner. LOL (okay not all on the same day).

love whole eggs, not a fan of egg whites.

a few days a week i'll have 2 whole eggs on toast for breakfast yum. most of the time i'll have toast with peanut butter then yogurt and banana or homemade granola bar for an early snack.
  • jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Sorry guys... nothing rude meant by this but all of this talk about first and second breakfasts made me think of this... couldn't help myself :laugh:

Aragorn: Gentlemen, we do not stop 'til nightfall.

Pippin: What about breakfast?

Aragorn: You've already had it.

Pippin: We've had one, yes. What about second breakfast?

[Aragorn turns and walks off in disgust]

Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.

Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

Merry: I wouldn't count on it.
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Sorry guys... nothing rude meant by this but all of this talk about first and second breakfasts made me think of this... couldn't help myself :laugh:

Aragorn: Gentlemen, we do not stop 'til nightfall.

Pippin: What about breakfast?

Aragorn: You've already had it.

Pippin: We've had one, yes. What about second breakfast?

[Aragorn turns and walks off in disgust]

Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.

Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

Merry: I wouldn't count on it.

Oh, Jesus. That quote just made me realize I'm quite possibly part Hobbit!
  • Mellzicious
    Options
    Don't worry about it, a 300-400 calorie breakfast is completely fine. If that works for you, don't worry about what other people do.
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    Most of the time, my breakfast is 3 whole eggs scrambled with 1 cup of spinach, some mushrooms, and some melted cheese on top. It is so delicious, nutritious, healthy.
    I don't understand people that eat only egg whites, you're missing out on so many nutrients!

And I have excellent cholesterol levels and triglyceride levels. Just so you know. :-p
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with everyone who has the larger calorie breakfast on this thread. I'm a 2 egg and 2 whites girl myself (those are real whites - not from a box). It's not that I have an issue with the cholesterol, fat or any other thing in the yolks, but I just decided to moderate the "Whites Only" idea.

My usual breakfast is 2 eggs, 2 eggwhites, 1/2 c green pepper, 1/2c mushrooms, 1/3c cheese, 2 slices of toast. Good old fashioned farmers breakfast. I figure if it was good enough for those who went out and worked in the fields, it's good enough for me!
  • foraubs
    foraubs Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Some people (read: myself) have weak stomachs in the morning and can't eat much more than you described.
    My favourite breakfast, that is quite filling for me at that time of day, is:
    2 egg whites: 30 calories
    4-5 grape tomatoes: 5 calories
    1 cup spinach: 7 calories
    ... so that's under 50 calories.
    If I'm hungrier, I'll couple it with a piece of fruit.

If I ate what your breakfast is comprised of, I'd be lethargic, and likely wouldn't eat until dinner because I was so full.

I don't think your preferences make you greedy, or mine make me peckish ... they're just that; preferences. :)
  • foraubs
    foraubs Posts: 263 Member
    Options

Eggs are low calorie, high protein, nutritious foods, you do not need to break them apart unless you are baking. It's obsessive and unhealthy to pick at your food to that degree... in my opinion

Some of us "crazy" egg-white eaters don't like egg yolks. I remember as far back as elementary school, eating the whites only and giving my dad the yolks!
  • MissLiss1979
    MissLiss1979 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Some people (read: myself) have weak stomachs in the morning and can't eat much more than you described.
    My favourite breakfast, that is quite filling for me at that time of day, is:
    2 egg whites: 30 calories
    4-5 grape tomatoes: 5 calories
    1 cup spinach: 7 calories
    ... so that's under 50 calories.
    If I'm hungrier, I'll couple it with a piece of fruit.

If I ate what your breakfast is comprised of, I'd be lethargic, and likely wouldn't eat until dinner because I was so full.

I don't think your preferences make you greedy, or mine make me peckish ... they're just that; preferences. :)

This is me..if I eat a heavy breakfast, I want to go back to bed. I usually eat 2-3 times before lunch.
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    I can understand people who say they can't force themselves to eat in the morning. I remember I was like that once, my stomach just wasn't awake, it was very difficult for me to eat. But then by 10 AM (which is when my break at work was), I would be starving.
    So I had to change my habits and started eating a very nutritious, satisfying breakfast (like 3-4 eggs with stuff in it), I can't survive now without it. Breakfast is the most important meal for me. I believe you can train your body to eat on a schedule. If your body is used to eating at 7 (or 6) AM, that's what it will be expecting.