Nothing to do with weight loss.... Vent Session

Options
afgivens4
afgivens4 Posts: 117
I just need to let it out!.... I am climbing up on my soap box....

I have one of the laziest co-workers I have ever seen in my entire life! However, somehow, she has managed to keep her job the longest than any other employee in my building....!!!!!!!!!!!!
I work night shift. I am a crisis case manager in mental health company. My, (Our), job in to consel, monitor, assess, clients that come in that are in crisis and need help. Some of these client are given a bed to sleep in for the night and given just time to calm down and rethink things. Sometimes, you can see things more clearly after a good nights sleep and in the next day.
Anyway, my co-worker SLEEPS!
My co-worker does NONE of the assigned job duties, and helps in NO way with the clients.
My co-worker SLEEPS.
I monitor clients, take crisis phone calls, talk with clients that cant sleep, help keep the client area clean, wash their clothes if needed. I provide the clients with food if needed. I do multiple spreadsheets concerning our clients and the court system. I send emails to the clients treatment team if needed to let them know that the client might need more support in the next day or two. Whatever needs to be done, does not get done by my co-worker.
My co-worker SLEEPS.
I have had clients wake up and come out into the main area to find out who is snoring so loundy that it wakes them up. My co-worker has woke self due to snoring!
I have taken this matter to my co-worker and my supervisor on more than one occassion. I get told that it will be looked into and NOTHING ever happens....
I am getting so sick and tired of putting up with this. I have resorted to taking photos of the sleeping co-worker, and documenting what gets done and by whom each night. Why you ask....? Well because I was called into the office for not working well with my "team", and stating that this is forming a "dark cloud over me"... that "could possibly cover all the good that I do in the office", and .... "they would hate for this cloud to ruin my career".
I love my job and do not intend or want to quit!

Okay... Thank you for listening.... Climbing down off my box....

Replies

• OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    That sounds awful, honestly, I have an office manager who is exactly the same.

Would it make any difference if you were to make a formal complaint? Perhaps from the perspective of being concerned about the patients?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    So many times I've seen workplaces allow a crappy employee to keep going being crappy, leading the good employees to getting sick of it and moving on, leaving workplace with nothing but crappy employees.

Keep documenting, and take it higher if you can.
  • mnwelch
    mnwelch Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my job.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Be all means..keep documenting. Or, just find another job.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    the whistleblowing route on the grounds of client safety might be the only option you have.. however this is unlikely to mesh well with your long term job prospects at this company. So sorry to hear you are going through this :(
  • TheresaTester
    TheresaTester Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you have to put up with this nonsense in the process of doing your job.

I would still keep documentation, but quietly start looking for another position. Ask your supervisor/administrator for a positive written letter of reference for your portfolio.

It's obvious that your administrators do not plan on addressing the issue, and have turned you into the scapegoat by counseling you for your "lack of team behavior." Their next step may be to fire you for rocking the boat.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I'd shoot some video, just in case you need to prove your allegations.
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there is getting to be more of that kind of thing hapening in the work place. Take it higher if you can. Do what you can do and when things aren't done maybe someone will question why all isn't done. Just remember you are putting added stars in your crown everday.
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Next time she wakes up a client with her snoring, you should encourage them to file a complaint. Usually it's only when it affects the bottom line do some companies take it seriously.
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear this, been there done that. What helped was documenting which you are doing so don't stop. Even if they don't do anything now, or if they do and everyone turns against you for being the whistle blower, and making your workplace a hostile environment, you might still be able to collect unemployment while you find a new job in the same field. Hostile environment is valid grounds to quit and collect in some states but you need good documentation. (I know you don't want to quit, this is an example of why it's important to keep a journal in other ways)

Point is, keep documenting and doing your job, don't let this person affect your performance if you can help it. Lazy people get caught sooner or later. May take years in some cases, but it happens. Good luck.
  • belladiva47
    belladiva47 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If your company has a separate HR dept. that's where I would go. Keep documenting. Wonder who the co-worker knows?
  • afgivens4
    afgivens4 Posts: 117
    Options
    Thank you all for listening to my gripes. Sometimes you just need to blow off steam. I am going to continue to document and just see where it all goes from there.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Videotape! If you could videotape the entire shift & this coworker sleeping during it, that'd be great!

If not, I'd say record her on a phone sleeping for a few seconds, every hour. Point the phone (or camera) at the clock to show what time each 6-second clip is taken in. Burn to a CD or DVD and give to supervisor, manager, human resources, wtv.

Tell them this person is wasting their money & that they're paying her to sleep.

TO SLEEP. EVERY SHIFT.

Maybe you'll have to say "If this does not get corrected, then obviously I am not appreciated here as an employee. Perhaps I should leave & you can leave this sleeping woman to do the shifts."
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Documenting is a great idea. Do you have CCTV cameras within the office? You could give HR a nudge to check them. However, I would be very careful when it comes to you taping her/taking pics. Some companies have policies on infringing on human rights when it comes to taping a person without their consent. Nuts I know in this case, but I'd be careful with that one.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you have to put up with this nonsense in the process of doing your job.

I would still keep documentation, but quietly start looking for another position. Ask your supervisor/administrator for a positive written letter of reference for your portfolio.

It's obvious that your administrators do not plan on addressing the issue, and have turned you into the scapegoat by counseling you for your "lack of team behavior." Their next step may be to fire you for rocking the boat.

Unfortunately I have to agree wholeheartedly with this. If they're not looking in to it then they really have no intention of following up anytime soon and all you will do is work yourself into a fit. I learned this the hard way a couple years ago. I was one of the best agents in the office but because I complained often about the work ethic of others, come promotion time I got passed up for someone who had been there half the time I had and who wasn't even a full employee yet (we bring agents in as contractors for at least 6 months before converting them to employees because it is a high turnover job). Honestly, knowing what I know now about what the boss lady really thought of me and my concerns, I probably would have gotten fired if I were still a contractor at the time instead of an employee despite the fact that I was putting forth some of the best work in the office.

As much as it sucks, it is clear that your administration doesn't care to take your complaints seriously so you really only have two options: Smile and go with it or smile and go with it and get a new job. It wouldn't hurt to keep collecting your evidence to maybe turn in to HR independently or to have on hand in case they decide your team/shift isn't up to snuff, but I suggest you tone down the wave-making.