I Don't Get It

Options
JustJennie1
JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
There are a lot of posts on the boards asking whether or not people count the calories in their fruits and vegetables and there are a lot of people who say no. There was a post recently debating on whether or not one should count every veggie/fruit that they put into a salad claiming that since the calories are "negligible" that it doesn't matter.

I made a salad for dinner tonight and I subtracted the meat, cheese and dressing and just the vegetables alone came out to 166 calories so how can one justify not counting those since it is obvious that the calories add up?

I'm just curious.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Most likely they're coming from Weight Watchers where fruits & veggies are considered "free" foods, with zero points values.

I believe WW does that to encourage people to eat more fruits & veggies. Although in doing so, they seem to have given people the misconception that these foods are devoid of calories.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    According to MFP, the veggies I just had for dinner were 150 and the apple I have every couple days is 95. When you're only eating 1300 calories, that stuff can add up quick.

In other words, they're in denial.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I agree, my usual BA dinner salad has half an avacado in it, pumpkin seeds, craisins and half a green apple. If I take out the salad dressing and just count the fruits and veggies that 373 calories.

But my mother who did WW for a long time loved that fruits and veggies were free. I did it with her for a while and just gorged on fruits and guess what - didn't lose a pound.

Go figure
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    According to MFP, the veggies I just had for dinner were 150 and the apple I have every couple days is 95. When you're only eating 1300 calories, that stuff can add up quick.

In other words, they're in denial.

I know. I have pointed that out on several occasions and got the "it's so little it doesn't matter" response but one can clearly see that it does matter.

So if one is going to consider things like fruits and veggies "free food' and not log it where does it end? I literally log everything I put in my mouth, even if it's half a cookie.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Like people with lots of money, I guess coins don't really count.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    when I log my food, I count every single thing I eat; fruits and veggies included.
  • aquinoz
    aquinoz Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    i count starchy vegetables and fruits.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's probably just a carry-over from weight watchers. Once upon a time, you could have a cookie for 2 points or an apple for two points. So what red-blooded sugarholic would eat an apple?

So basically, WW said, "You SHOULD be eating that apple, so we're going to assume you're going to. We're going to give you fewer points, tell you the apple is zero points, and then you'll be more likely to eat it."

And it worked. And a bunch of weight watchers got fat and couldn't figure out why.

It turns out you can't eat 20 bananas a day on top of your regular diet and lose weight.

I've already eaten 200 calories worth of veggie today and I haven't eaten dinner yet. Omitting my fruit and vegetable calories every day would completely destroy my deficit.
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't get it in the context that I'm already weighing/measuring out then tracking everything else anyway. I also can copy the information from another date. So I don't see much of a time saving not weighing veggies on a salad.

:shrugs::

But if it works for them, good for them.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of posts on the boards asking whether or not people count the calories in their fruits and vegetables and there are a lot of people who say no. There was a post recently debating on whether or not one should count every veggie/fruit that they put into a salad claiming that since the calories are "negligible" that it doesn't matter.

I made a salad for dinner tonight and I subtracted the meat, cheese and dressing and just the vegetables alone came out to 166 calories so how can one justify not counting those since it is obvious that the calories add up?

I'm just curious.

Jennie, I fully agree.

I know that Weight Watchers give free foods in the way of fruit, but I never have understood how that worked to be honest. I can sometimes eat five pieces of fruit per day (has been more) all approx 70 calories per piece - that comes to 350 calories. Now if I do not count them and take them as free, how does that work, I would be eating an extra 350 calories per day if I did not count them, that is 2,450 calories PER WEEK.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    And it worked. And a bunch of weight watchers got fat and couldn't figure out why.

This is so wrong I just have to address the misconceptions about the "free" fruit on Weight Watchers, though it's truly a dead horse topic here and people just refuse to get it.

Yes most fruits and veggies are 0 points on the WW 360 plan. Peas, corn, potatoes and some others do have points. Dried fruit such as craisins have points. However the WW plan includes the calories for the recommended 6-8 servings of fruit/veggies into how many points you are assigned. Since I double track everything on WW and MFP and have for almost a year I can tell you with certainty that my assigned 26 points(that's the lowest amount WW gives) translates to right around 1200 calories with the included fruit and veggies I have during the day. I do not limit myself to only 6-8 servings of fruit and veggies either.

Seriously no one got fat from eating to much fruit and veggies and those that claim WW zero point fruits and veggies were the reason they couldn't lose weight on the program are lying to themselves!
  • ArtLover26207
    Options
    My response for those that say that the calories are so low it doesn't matter...would you say that about .5lb weight loss? or even a .2lb loss? They'd rather say that they didn't lose weight when they actually did? However small? Little things add up. Apples at 95 calories add up, and so does .2lbs.
    JMHO
  • kaseyAnne425
    kaseyAnne425 Posts: 230
    Options
    Please always count your fruits and veggies, many contribute to sugar intake, calorie intake, etc. COUNT EVERYTHING!! This was a big mistake I made, but I'm trying really hard to track EVERY morsel I put in my mouth!
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options

This is so wrong I just have to address the misconceptions about the "free" fruit on Weight Watchers, though it's truly a dead horse topic here and people just refuse to get it.

Yes most fruits and veggies are 0 points on the WW 360 plan. Peas, corn, potatoes and some others do have points. Dried fruit such as craisins have points. However the WW plan includes the calories for the recommended 6-8 servings of fruit/veggies into how many points you are assigned. Since I double track everything on WW and MFP and have for almost a year I can tell you with certainty that my assigned 26 points(that's the lowest amount WW gives) translates to right around 1200 calories with the included fruit and veggies I have during the day. I do not limit myself to only 6-8 servings of fruit and veggies either.

Seriously no one got fat from eating to much fruit and veggies and those that claim WW zero point fruits and veggies were the reason they couldn't lose weight on the program are lying to themselves!

Sorry, but yes they did. My Weight Watchers leader, included. I was there when 360 came out, I was there when crap hit the fan, and I was there for the crap control, ie, the meetings about only eating fruit if you're hungry, and only until you're satisfied, not mindless fruit snacking, and concentrating on veggies not fruit. In fact I went to a meeting with a friend a couple weeks ago and there was still a "fruit in moderation" undertone.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

Sorry, but yes they did. My Weight Watchers leader, included. I was there when 360 came out, I was there when crap hit the fan, and I was there for the crap control, ie, the meetings about only eating fruit if you're hungry, and only until you're satisfied, not mindless fruit snacking, and concentrating on veggies not fruit. In fact I went to a meeting with a friend a couple weeks ago and there was still a "fruit in moderation" undertone.

Where are your meetings? The whole fruit/veggie 0 point issue has never come up at mine. I just don't believe if people are honest with themselves that fruit and veggies are causing them to gain weight. It's just yet another excuse people use to not face the facts that they are overeating.
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Jennie, I fully agree.

I know that Weight Watchers give free foods in the way of fruit, but I never have understood how that worked to be honest. I can sometimes eat five pieces of fruit per day (has been more) all approx 70 calories per piece - that comes to 350 calories. Now if I do not count them and take them as free, how does that work, I would be eating an extra 350 calories per day if I did not count them, that is 2,450 calories PER WEEK.

As a long-time former WW member, I can explain it. WW DOES work, if you 'work it.' I left for a fresh start because I was on autopilot. Trying something new, but I lost my first 30 pounds with WW. It works on Weight Watchers for a couple of reasons:

1. They have you on a big calorie deficit, KNOWING that you'll choose to fill up on 'free' fruits & vegetables. If you know the WW formulas, it's easier to understand. But I'll give you my info from when I did it. I got a daily points target of 29 per day. I'm supposed to hit that number each day. But calorie wise, that's less than 1200 calories per day. So if you add in a couple hundred calories of fruits & vegetables, I'd still be at a reasonable number that will allow me to lose weight (for perspective, I'm 5' 6.5" and I have about 35-40 pounds to lose). On average I eat about 200 calories/ day of fruits and vegetables.

2. You're also supposed to eat to 'satisfaction', paying attention to your body's hunger levels. So a reasonable person probably wouldn't eat pounds of grapes, a dozen apples and a half dozen bananas if they were truly in tune with their level of hunger.

However, if they have moved away from WW and came here to MFP (like I did) they have to change that mentality, or face a weight gain more than likely. Because if you're now eating 1500 calories (or whatever) that includes every bite - nothing free. If they are combining 2 programs, they will probably end up with 0 results.
  • vonnyliz
    vonnyliz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use Nutracheck and track all fruit and veg
  • toddlikesdesign
    Options
    Some vegetables take more calories to digest than they give the body. These are effectively "zero calorie" foods.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I don't count all of them. If I made salad dressing and it has a tablespoon of onions, it is negligible. If I am eyeballing my salad fixings at the restaurant and I don't recall if it was 6 or 7 cherry tomatoes, it is no big deal. I do allow some leeway on veggies. If it is less than 2 tablespoons, I am not super concerned if I miss a few bites.