Filling foods with low calories? What are the best?

Options
Recently I've noticed that I'm eating like I have been (healthy food and under my calorie goal) but I'm feeling hungry all the time? I don't know what it is but I think maybe it's worth "researching" from you guys as to what the ideal foods are out there that are filling yet relatively low in calories. As I can't keep ignoring the hunger by filling up on water :)

Any suggestions?

Also I live in the UK so certain foods we may not get here compared to the States. Thank You.

Replies

• kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Strawberries, watermelon, air popped popcorn, veggies...
  • I drink coffee, it makes me feel so full! x
  • Krazyklaws
    Options
    Hi there - try increasing the amount of protein you eat. It makes you stay fuller for longer. Lean chicken or turkey, cottage cheese etc. A good 200 cal breakfast on the move is a protein bar, I like the Promax chocolate. Keeps me from feeling hungry for hours.

Hope that helps!
  • lisa511
    Options
    A baked potato is filling and only about 110 calories. If I am going to eat a potato for lunch, I try to make sure my breakfast and dinner have only a few carbs.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I have found that adding nuts to my day helps. A few tablespoons of roasted walnuts supplies me with protein and healthy fats, bumps my calories up closer to where I need to be, and burns slowly so I'm not feeling deprived. I just have to be sure to measure out the proper portion and put the container away because I could easily sit down and nom a whole canister of walnuts.

Like Krazy said...protein will fill you up. Do you have Greek Yogurt where you are? Greek yogurt is freakin awesome because its got double the protein of regular yogurt, and usually about half the carbs as well. Its nice and thick, too. Mmmm
  • amyfly
    amyfly Posts: 137
    Options
    Grilled fish - esp. tuna steaks. Very low in calories, extremely high in protein. I also started using almond butter instead of peanut butter on toast or celery for a snack - it's a lil higher in protein and lower in saturated fat. Greek yogurt is good too. And, of course, lots of fruit and veggies.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Lean proteins are good. I also love Quaker's Weight Control oatmeal - it's 160 calories, but lots of fiber and protein and keeps me full all morning until lunch time.

I also agree with CeleryStalker - nuts helps. Almonds are great, and there are so many different varieties out there. I LOVE the cocoa dusted ones and the cinnimon/sugar ones. (I know I spelled that wrong - deal with it! :) )
  • ruggie
    Options
    A glass of skim milk. An egg white and veggie omelette. Air popped popcorn. A bowl of oatmeal. Veggies and hummus dip.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Ok you might not like this but I took a peak at your diary and it looks like you have at least 1 diet pop a day. Bad and posion to the body. It will cause sugar and food cravings. THe chemicals in the pop mess with the natrual chamicals in your body in a bad way. It will cause weight gain and or not allow you to loose. ALso your not eating enough for breakfest. here is an example of a meal plan I give my clients. GOod heathy food that fill you up and keep you full. It is how your eating and what your eating that is causing you to feel so hungry.

Exampale of a guid that is around 1500 caloires

NUTRITIONAL GUIDE 1500 CALORIES
    EAT EVERY TO 3 HOURS. YOU MUST EAT APPROXIMATELY THE SAME TIME EVERY DAY. DON’T EAT 2-3 HOURS BEFORE BED!!! CONSITANCY IS THE KEY!!!

Breakfast
    1cup Cooked Oatmeal or Oat bran, 1 tbsp ground flaxseed,1 whole egg, 2 egg white
    ½ cup blueberries(fresh or frozen),
    ****eat within an hour of waking up****

Snack
    Med Apple or 1 large serving of fruit(unpeeled) and 20 Raw Almonds
    Lunch
    1/2 sandwich with
    4oz of meat(turkey,chicken, tuna, ham) (lunch meat is ok with less processing to it)
    1 slices 100% WHOLE GRAIN bread (80-110 cal. A slice) Prefer Ezekiel Bread
    2 servings RAW veggies
    ½ cup low fat cottage cheese or 1 low fat mozzarella string cheese
    12 -16 oz water

Snack
    Yogurt (Greek Preferred) or ( dannon lite & fit or Yoplait Lite!) with ¼ Kashi granola or an organic granola or 1 serving of fruit

Dinner
    6 oz. lean meat ( chicken, fish, pork, beef, turkey ect)
    1-2 servings fresh or frozen steamed veggies( broccoli, green beans, peas, squash ect) NO CORN!!!!!!!
    4 oz Red Skin Potato
    12 -16 oz water

Try and calculate and write everything down to check and total calories…weight and measure everything out!!!!!! KEEP A FOOD LOG
    Do Not eat anything with “High Fructose Corn Syrup”
    “Bleached or enriched flour” BAD
    “Simple Sugars”
    Read YOUR LABLES “Partially hydrogenated
    “Watch the salt”
    These additives could make you feel hungry!!! and allow you to overeat!!! and cause long term health problems!!!!!!!!!!!
    DRINK WATER!!!! VERY IMPORTANT-- GREEN TEA, WHITE TEA IS OK NON SWEETENED
    NO POP!!!! REGULAR OR DIET( they will cause weight gain and not allow you to lose weight) NO Alcohol !!!
    Foods that help control hunger: Raw walnuts, raw peanuts or raw almonds, red peppers, cinnamon. ½ hour before eating meals eat raw…8 walnuts, 10 almonds, 20 peanuts (Only as needed if you feel hungry!)

Also there each meal has protien with complex carbs. This helps keeps the boold sugar levels balanced. let me know what you think
  • k2charmed4u
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone some great suggestions there. I definately think I'll try the nuts and greek yoghurts. I eat fish at least 2-3 times a week already and if I don't eat that I eat chicken or some specially filled pasta tortelloni (I think that's how you spell it) with greek olive oil and is delicious. Thanks I look forward to hearing more suggestions too.

Cheers :drinker:
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    ooh i have another one...... steel cut oatmeal. (also called Irish Oatmeal) MMMM!!!!! Higher in protein than rolled oats and tastes so much better. Totally different consistency than rolled oats oatmeal too. I make mine with agave nectar to sweeten, and toss in some chopped nuts and sometimes, if im feeling dangerous, i will throw in some dried cranberries too. oh my god. heaven on earth.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    For a snack good and low cals. Try it before you knock it!!!

1 can white tuna in water mixed with 1 tbsp of low fat miracle whip and 1/2 an avocado

I was grossed out by thought of combining these things together, but VERY filling and you'll see that you'll crave it down the road!!

Cheers!
  • k2charmed4u
    Options
    Ok you might not like this but I took a peak at your diary and it looks like you have at least 1 diet pop a day. Bad and posion to the body. It will cause sugar and food cravings. THe chemicals in the pop mess with the natrual chamicals in your body in a bad way. It will cause weight gain and or not allow you to loose. ALso your not eating enough for breakfest. here is an example of a meal plan I give my clients. GOod heathy food that fill you up and keep you full. It is how your eating and what your eating that is causing you to feel so hungry.

Exampale of a guid that is around 1500 caloires

NUTRITIONAL GUIDE 1500 CALORIES
    EAT EVERY TO 3 HOURS. YOU MUST EAT APPROXIMATELY THE SAME TIME EVERY DAY. DON’T EAT 2-3 HOURS BEFORE BED!!! CONSITANCY IS THE KEY!!!

Breakfast
    1cup Cooked Oatmeal or Oat bran, 1 tbsp ground flaxseed,1 whole egg, 2 egg white
    ½ cup blueberries(fresh or frozen),
    ****eat within an hour of waking up****

Snack
    Med Apple or 1 large serving of fruit(unpeeled) and 20 Raw Almonds
    Lunch
    1/2 sandwich with
    4oz of meat(turkey,chicken, tuna, ham) (lunch meat is ok with less processing to it)
    1 slices 100% WHOLE GRAIN bread (80-110 cal. A slice) Prefer Ezekiel Bread
    2 servings RAW veggies
    ½ cup low fat cottage cheese or 1 low fat mozzarella string cheese
    12 -16 oz water

Snack
    Yogurt (Greek Preferred) or ( dannon lite & fit or Yoplait Lite!) with ¼ Kashi granola or an organic granola or 1 serving of fruit

Dinner
    6 oz. lean meat ( chicken, fish, pork, beef, turkey ect)
    1-2 servings fresh or frozen steamed veggies( broccoli, green beans, peas, squash ect) NO CORN!!!!!!!
    4 oz Red Skin Potato
    12 -16 oz water

Try and calculate and write everything down to check and total calories…weight and measure everything out!!!!!! KEEP A FOOD LOG
    Do Not eat anything with “High Fructose Corn Syrup”
    “Bleached or enriched flour” BAD
    “Simple Sugars”
    Read YOUR LABLES “Partially hydrogenated
    “Watch the salt”
    These additives could make you feel hungry!!! and allow you to overeat!!! and cause long term health problems!!!!!!!!!!!
    DRINK WATER!!!! VERY IMPORTANT-- GREEN TEA, WHITE TEA IS OK NON SWEETENED
    NO POP!!!! REGULAR OR DIET( they will cause weight gain and not allow you to lose weight) NO Alcohol !!!
    Foods that help control hunger: Raw walnuts, raw peanuts or raw almonds, red peppers, cinnamon. ½ hour before eating meals eat raw…8 walnuts, 10 almonds, 20 peanuts (Only as needed if you feel hungry!)

Also there each meal has protien with complex carbs. This helps keeps the boold sugar levels balanced. let me know what you think

Hi thanks for all the great info there. The Diet Coke is my craving for something fizzy i'm afraid :( I know it's bad giving in but I can't help it. I currently drink anything from 2 - 2.5 litres of sugar free strawberry flavoured water a day (before I dieted I never drank water I used to drink that amount in fizzy drinks! Very bad). I don't drink hot drinks at all. Tea, Coffee, hot chocolate, no thank you. Never liked them.
    The problem I have is living on a budget and without a freezer so everything I buy/eat is fresh but something that will keep for the week. But i'll definatley take on board some of your suggestions especially about breakfast, the problem I have is I don't like to eat first thing in the morning. But I'm working on it. Thank you :smile:
  • redkimono
    Options
    If you like fizz try LaCroix seltzer waters. The flavor is really light but they're super fizzy. I also agree with the steel cut oatmeal suggestion. Any beans are great, too- they fill you up and are high in protein.
    Good luck! :wink:
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I'll second or third the nuts, that helps me too. I also love the yellow bell peppers, clean out the seeds and they cut into long pieces, I love munching on them, and you could make a low calorie dip too.

How about Tofu?
    I used to "hate"...... "HATE" tofu, but here in Japan, it is very good, I eat it sliced up, and then I put Shoga on it, which is crushed ginger and some shoyu, or soy sauce, it is VERY good, and VERY filling, as well as in the summer it cools you off, as it has a high water content, eat it cold! In the the winter I warm it up in a frying pan with a little olive oil, and add it to other dishes, it is very tasty!
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I too have to say stay away from the diet drinks, they mess me up something awful.

I'm pretty much off the fizzy drinks, I drink Mugi cha which is a tea brewed from roasted wheat, and I drink water, at least 2 liters a day, I add some kind of juice to it, as I enjoy that a lot more and I get some vitamins etc at the same time. I usually add about 200ml to a 2L bottle of water.

Watermelon should be in season now and I just love it, I can eat it all freaking day, but it is not cheap here in Tokyo :cry:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I also vote for the oatmeal in the morning! Another of my MFP friends lead me to Better Oats brand of oatmeal. They have some great flavored ones 150-170 cals, including Chai Spiced and Chocolate...yes Chocolate if you don't care for plain oats. The other thing that helps me is some sort of protein at every meal or snack. I have also found that when I eat flour products or rice I get snoozy and seem to want to eat sooner than normal.

Good Luck!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    My new favorite breakfast is a slice of toasted whole grain bread with 1 tbsp almond butter, 1/4 cup cottage cheese, and sliced pear on top. I know you don't have this there, but I just love Trader Joe's sprouted grain Daily cinnamon bread!! It's a healthy and delicious treat. Good luck! :happy: