20 Lbs in 2 months

Options
Okay, I have lost 20 lbs in the last 2 months and I am so proud of myself. I am doing this because I want to be healthier since diabetes is common in my family. I am 5'5 and in the last 2 months I went from 180 to 160. Is this noticeable? I ask because No One has even commented, not even my husband. Granted I have lost almost 70 lbs in the last 2 years but I have not really lost too much in the last year just basically maintaining. I just recently started to try to lose more. I am not doing it to be noticed but it sure seems like it should be noticeable.

Replies

• miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing the same clothes, because they may be big on you and people aren't able to notice the difference.

But on a regular, yes 20 pounds should be noticeable.

Congrats, awesome job
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    Some people just take for granted that we don't need to hear words of encouragement. It's sad. Everyone needs to hear they are doing a great job and that the actions they are taking are not going unnoticed. I am way proud of you and don't even know you. You are an inspiration to me. I am just starting, and pray I have the successes that you have had. Keep on task. It'll pay off for you.......... no one else.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    For me it was noticeable (in the face) around 30lbs. lost. Great job on the weight loss! WTG!!
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    Too funny. You are b*tching and bragging at the same time.

Congratulations on your weight loss. That is awesome.

Maybe you husband needs a poke in the eye and other people are jealous? You know, sometimes people won't say anything because weight loss compliments can backfire. "What, you thought I was fat?" That sort of thing.

I bet if you update your hairstyle and get a new outfit, people will notice your weight loss.
  • disnyfan
    disnyfan Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's funny you say that because I was just telling a friend...I know I have noticed my little loss but some close friends won't even comment on my new lifestyle. They are all overweight. I try not to talk about it all the time but it is a big deal in my life. It has to be for me to succeed. I've heard of poeple loosing friends when they loose weight. I sure hope that doesn't happen.....

Kind of off subject, but what you said made me think of it.

At the end of the day, you are eating clean and on your path to health. One day they will all the sudden say "OMG! Look at you!" Keep it up!1 :)
  • Ready4Changes
    Options
    I would say yes it is noticeable. Sometimes it is harder for people who see you every day to notice these differences. Keep up the hard work and don't worry about people noticing. I know it feels so good but when you least expect it someone will say it to you. I lost a bunch of weight last time around and I dropped off my dogs at the groomer. They go once a month. The groomer said wow you look great are you losing weight.? I never even thought they would have paid attention. It made me feel so good even better than people in my family because sometimes they could tell you things just to make you feel better about your efforts.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    A lot of times 20 pounds is a lot more noticeable in pictures. Esspecially for people who see you everyday like your husband, the gradual change isn't glaringly obvious. And (sorry men) most of the men in my life wouldn't notice if I dyed my hair purple and shaved my eyebrows off!

For everyone else, I think a lot of times people don't say anything for fear of embarrasing the person or sticking their foot in their mouth. "What, I look great? So I did'n't look great before?", or "'I've lost weight? I haven't been trying, are you saying I needed to lose weight", just a few examples of what someone might think when given compliments. I am personally of the team that if someone does not directly say something to me about something (example, whether or not someone is pregnant, keep your mouth shut if you don't know for sure) I don't mention it.

Congrats on the 20 pounds though, that's excellent!
  • Sherry1979
    Options
    I agree with what most of the others have said. . .if you're wearing the same clothes that can cause people not to notice and sometimes people are afraid if they comment that you've lost weight you will think they're saying they thought you "needed" to lose. I know it feels good when others notice but remember you are doing this for YOU so CONGRATS on your success!!!!!
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    My fiance & I have been using myFitnessPal since March 27, 2010 and I have lost 23 lbs. as of this morning. He has lost 25 lbs. Anyway, it wasn't until he was looking at a photo of me he took at our gym last week, that he 'saw' how small I have actually become. Crazy I know, but it really takes someone 'seeing for the first time' like in a photo, to make it click for them I think. I am confident that with the next few pounds you lose, people will be commenting. Or if you see someone who has not seen you in a while, same thing. When my fiance works out of his main office location, he is complimented like crazy. But in our normal office location that we work every day, few people notice.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! 20 lbs in 2 months is awesome! I think some people (including husbands) just are so caught up in their own worlds they fail to take notice of things around them. Keep up the fabulous work!
  • fat214
    fat214 Posts: 109
    Options
    Here are a couple of fun websites you might want to try. Because sometimes you can see yourself differently in the mirror.

www.weightmirror.com

www.mybodygallery.com
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    It's funny you say that because I was just telling a friend...I know I have noticed my little loss but some close friends won't even comment on my new lifestyle. They are all overweight. I try not to talk about it all the time but it is a big deal in my life. It has to be for me to succeed. I've heard of poeple loosing friends when they loose weight. I sure hope that doesn't happen.....

Kind of off subject, but what you said made me think of it.

At the end of the day, you are eating clean and on your path to health. One day they will all the sudden say "OMG! Look at you!" Keep it up!1 :)

You know this is so true! Plus, some people are threatened by others making progress because they have to look at themselves and feel like failures (in short). That's why it's important for YOU to pat YOURSELF on the back. Don't wait for others to compliment you, be happy to know your accomplishment. The compliments from others will come, and they'll probably surprise the heck out of you. Like a complete stranger will come up to you and tell you how hard they've seen you work or how good you look. WTG!

Cheers!
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Great job, keep it up!

I've lost 36 pounds, and almost no one has noticed, or said anything :laugh:

But the most important thing to me is the "I" have noticed, I notice it every single day, how much lighter I feel and how much easier it is to bend and mover, go up and down stairs etc. When it comes to my weight loss and health, I've become rather selfish, I will not eat more than I want to, just to be nice, and if I'm not hungry but someone cooks for me, I say "Thank you very much, it looks and smells delicious, but I'm not hungry" :happy:

How do YOU feel, do you notice the 20 pounds gone?

I bet you do, so what if it takes the rest of your world around you a while to notice, YOU notice and you are doing this for YOU..... right? :bigsmile: :drinker:

Again, congrats, and keep it up! :smile:
  • missieBerry
    Options
    20 lbs is a very significant weight loss and is definitely noticeable! Keep the momentum going! :flowerforyou:
  • k2charmed4u
    Options
    I had very similar things myself. It was mainly because I wore the same clothes so you couldn't really tell. But at the time I didn't see the point in buying new clothes so soon when I'm still losing alot of weight. But people did notice the change in my face and neck. (I now have a jaw line lol)

But I replaced most of my clothes in the last week as they were getting ridiculously big and I've had heaps of compliments. Also guys don't tend to comment as it makes them feel awkward, women seem to be more open about it. :smile:
  • buggaboo73
    Options
    You know, sometimes people won't say anything because weight loss compliments can backfire. "What, you thought I was fat?" That sort of thing.

This is what I was thinking. I have a friend who lost a bunch and when I remarked she looked at me kinda funny like she thought it was none of my business. Some people don't like the comments......I always give them anyway I don't care LOL. I remember congratulating the dental assistant at my daughters last appointment because she had obviously lost probably 60 - 70 lbs and she was so proud when I asked her about it.....so it's worth the risk IMO......but I can see why some are afraid to say anything.
  • dj_stevie_c
    Options
    Who cares as long as you notice :)
  • justahorsen
    Options
    I don't wait for my husband to notice, I ask him if I look thinner......He is losing too so he can relate.... The last time I asked (I had another "lowest" on the scale) he told me yes I was thinner..."In fact, he said, if you turn sideways and stick out your tongue you will look like a zipper"...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: He's a liar, but I :heart: love:heart: him anyways!!!!
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    It is very hard for people who see you daily or even weekly to see the loss. Iv also notice the more weight you need to loose the harder it is for others to see. My sister is alot thinner then me and she gets loads of comments when droping 5-10 lbs. I have to loose alot more for people to notice. I have also found that if you wear the same clothing they are less likley to see. Congrats on your loss. Go buy yourself a new outfit :wink:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!