I Don't Get It

Options
2»

Replies

• pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    This again?

You use your common bloody sense about it!!

If you already know if a food is calorie dense or not you can know whether to bother counting it or not. Of course I'm going to track an avocado, it is made of pure fat and is very calorie dense. If I'm also adding a single stick of celery im not going to bother weighting it out because it has so few calories that I'm just going to estimate.

If I have a salad made of 3 types of lettuce I'm not going to painstakingly weight each bit of leaf and log them separately because it is a waste of my time. I'm not even going to log each one. Just pick lettuce and estimate.

If you are trying new vegetable look up how many calories it has and if it's really low you can know for the future that you can just say you ate 100g or whatever and not bother weighing it out.

As for where it stops? It stops there. Guess low calorie dense food if you are eating a lot of variety, track high calorie dense food.

This isn't rocket science.

The reason it isn't that important is because YOU CANNOT ACCURATELY KNOW how many calories you are eating down to the very last calorie anyway. You just cant. The margin of error on the calorie counts for food can be up to 5%. For your low calorie foods the entire calorie count is probably eaten up in the error margin already.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Some vegetables take more calories to digest than they give the body. These are effectively "zero calorie" foods.

No, that has since been debunked. There are no zero or negative calorie foods.

Plain water is the only substance that has no calories, but rergarding foods, there are no negative ones.
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The only veggies I don't count are when I have a side salad. I like to set up most of my meals as recipes and log them that way, but my salads are usually made up of whatever is left in the fridge- there's no set recipe and it can have any old crap in it. I can't be arsed logging 20g of peppers or 5g of fresh chillis when I can just say "it's probably about 50-100 calories and it's all good for me".

I am under no illusions though- I know that salads have calories.
  • FatAttorney
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables have calories, therefore they should be counted. Also, you lessen the usefulness of the food diary if you do not put everything into it. For instance, you might think you are consuming an appropriate amount of sugar each day, but if you aren't tracking those three apples you eat at lunch, then you are wrong about the amount of sugar you are eating.
  • dontwishforit_workforit
    Options
    This just reminds me when I went in for diabetic counseling and the lady told me "I told another guy that yes, of course fruits and vegetables are still important to eat! Then I found out he was eating 8 ears of corn a day. So yes you can have it, but moderation, they have nutritional values just like everything else!"
  • KatieBee8
    KatieBee8 Posts: 61
    Options
    No, I don't understand this either. I always count everything I eat into my daily calories, including fruits and vegetables. Every little bit adds up!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I reckon on average i eat about 350 cals a day of fruits and veggies. Add that up over a year and it's 127,750 calories. Divide that by the 3,500 calories that constitutes 1lb, that's 36.5lb of weight that I wouldn't lose because I didn't count my fruits and veggies.

Yeah, I don't understand why they aren't counted either.
  • taniiagirl
    taniiagirl Posts: 47
    Options
    I still count the calories in fruit and veg. How can you not if it adds up to over 100 for a salad
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs: calories out. Simple as that. They all add up. Portion size and daily recommended servings.
    There is no gimmick. Try measuring, weighing and logging everything you consume for a month, see if it makes a difference or not.
  • toddlikesdesign
    Options
    Some vegetables take more calories to digest than they give the body. These are effectively "zero calorie" foods.

No, that has since been debunked. There are no zero or negative calorie foods.

Plain water is the only substance that has no calories, but rergarding foods, there are no negative ones.

Doubtful, unless the laws of physics have changed! :happy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermic_effect