I'm new!

Options
Hi everyone :)

Jade here! I don't really know what to write, but I am very excited about starting my weight loss journey...

I just recently graduated from high school (Last month), and, really, I should have looked better.
I am a girl (obviously), 5'9". When I was in grade 10, I weighed 145lbs, and was incredibly disgusted with myself.
I thought I was the "fattest" person I knew.
Fast forward to today, I am currently 260lbs, and I can't help wondering how on earth I got to this point in such a short amount of time.

As the pounds increased, my self-confidence--which was already low--decreased.

I was diagnosed with Dystonia (a movement disorder), in grade 9, which has resulted in a lot more body pain than I should have as the weight piled on.

So here I am, 18 years old, 260lbs, and ready to make a change!!
My ultimate goal is to get back down to where I was three years ago, at around 140lbs.

My main problem is sticking with my exercise plans, because, really, if you could choose between exercising and getting an extra hour of sleep, I'm sure most of you would choose sleep..
I know I would, and have been for far too long.

I hope you all can help me keep to my plans and, ultimately, help change my life for the better!

Please, feel free to write me, I'd love to talk to you!!

Replies

• mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hi welcome to my fitness pal... I'm sure you will make lots of friends and lose some weight along the way
  • Koketso21
    Koketso21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hi

i'm also new and am starting on my mission to loosing weight. I hope we will be sharing on our progress. any advise on the best way to start
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi Jade. I struggle with the whole exercise thing too. The forums have great motivational sections where you can see people's real life success stories and pictures.
  • JaderadeZ
    JaderadeZ Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi welcome to my fitness pal... I'm sure you will make lots of friends and lose some weight along the way

Hello! Thank you very much for your kind regards :)
    hi

i'm also new and am starting on my mission to loosing weight. I hope we will be sharing on our progress. any advise on the best way to start

Hi!

Great luck to you in your weight loss journey! I would love to be kept posted on your progress.
    I would say one of my biggest pieces of advice that I've learned is to not overdo it right away.
    I tried exercising/eating healthy a while back and I pushed myself so hard and just never gave myself any breaks. I exercised vigorously, 7 days a week, and was strict with my eating. This was right from never doing any exercise at all!! It overwhelmed me and I ended up quitting about a month in.

So do what you know you'll be comfortable with, and slowly work your way up from there as you progress!

Best of luck!
    Hi Jade. I struggle with the whole exercise thing too. The forums have great motivational sections where you can see people's real life success stories and pictures.

Hello!

Yes, I agree. Exercise is something I actually love doing, I just don't have the motivation to do it!! I'll definitely check out that section.

By the way, I love mlp ;)
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Hello!

Yes, I agree. Exercise is something I actually love doing, I just don't have the motivation to do it!! I'll definitely check out that section.

By the way, I love mlp ;)

Anyone who loves mlp is awesome in my book. You will do well here XD

Consider yourself added :)
  • bushnan
    bushnan Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey Jade welcome to my fitness pal I have recently been introduce to the program and love it I have been doing it for a month and have lost 11 pounds. I thought I was eating good before I started then I found that the food may be healthy but I was eating way to much and this was my problem. I look forward to waking up an hour early just to do my walk so I can log on and add my exercise to add a couple more calories for the day and I love reading peoples posts it keeps me motivated. Good Luck hope it works for you as it is for me xxx
  • JaderadeZ
    Options
    Hey Jade welcome to my fitness pal I have recently been introduce to the program and love it I have been doing it for a month and have lost 11 pounds. I thought I was eating good before I started then I found that the food may be healthy but I was eating way to much and this was my problem. I look forward to waking up an hour early just to do my walk so I can log on and add my exercise to add a couple more calories for the day and I love reading peoples posts it keeps me motivated. Good Luck hope it works for you as it is for me xxx

Hi!
    Thanks for the kind welcome :)
    Congratulations on losing 11 pounds! That must be a great feeling :)
    I wish you the best of luck!
  • keepitgoing86
    Options
    Hi Jade,

I am a newbie too! Well done for starting this adventure!

You are similar to me... I am 5'10 and weighed 168 pounds, I new I was a bit heavier and would moan all the time, BUT I wasn't really that bothered by my weight! Our height helps us out with that :wink:

My weight rocketed too, I started my journey at 229 pounds and have lost 13 pounds so far! If I can do it trust me you can too! The good thing for you is that you did weigh 145 pounds therefore you can really visualise yourself at a healthy low weight!

Good luck, I really wish you all the best! And of course keep us posted!

x
  • JaderadeZ
    Options
    Hi Jade,

I am a newbie too! Well done for starting this adventure!

You are similar to me... I am 5'10 and weighed 168 pounds, I new I was a bit heavier and would moan all the time, BUT I wasn't really that bothered by my weight! Our height helps us out with that :wink:

My weight rocketed too, I started my journey at 229 pounds and have lost 13 pounds so far! If I can do it trust me you can too! The good thing for you is that you did weigh 145 pounds therefore you can really visualise yourself at a healthy low weight!

Good luck, I really wish you all the best! And of course keep us posted!

x

Hi there!

Yes, our weight definitely is to our advantage, but also a disadvantage in my opinion! I didn't even realize I was gaining weight until it was too late!! (Doesn't help that I avidly avoid mirrors haha).
    I wish you a great big CONGRATS on losing 13 pounds so far! That's great!

Best of luck to you, and you had better keep us posted as well! :wink:
  • keepitgoing86
    Options
    [/quote]

Hi there!

Yes, our weight definitely is to our advantage, but also a disadvantage in my opinion! I didn't even realize I was gaining weight until it was too late!! (Doesn't help that I avidly avoid mirrors haha).

[/quote]

Weight? Heigh! Lol, our weight is our disadvantage, our height helps to keep it spread out lol! Hun, I would heavily suggest in purchasing a full length mirror and just going extreme and having a good old gaze! I hated looking from the collar bones down, BUT it helps to actually put things in to perspective. Maybe that could be a goal of yours, after losing a set amount of weight purchase a full length mirror!

Thank you! I did juice fast for 5 days, which I think helped it out! But I have really kicked a lot of my habits by doing it.

Keep us posted too!
  • JaderadeZ
    Options

Hi there!

[/quote]

Weight? Heigh! Lol, our weight is our disadvantage, our height helps to keep it spread out lol! Hun, I would heavily suggest in purchasing a full length mirror and just going extreme and having a good old gaze! I hated looking from the collar bones down, BUT it helps to actually put things in to perspective. Maybe that could be a goal of yours, after losing a set amount of weight purchase a full length mirror!

Thank you! I did juice fast for 5 days, which I think helped it out! But I have really kicked a lot of my habits by doing it.

Keep us posted too!
    [/quote]

Hahaha oh gosh, day 1 and already a horrible mistype! I definitely meant height!

Sad thing is, I own TWO full length mirrors. I'm getting better, I try to look in a full length mirror at least once a day, but it really is like torture to me haha.

Oh! After I watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead (fabulous documentary) I did a juice fast too! I loved it, except for constantly being hungy haha. Fresh juice is spectacular.
  • keepitgoing86
    Options

Hi there!

Keep us posted too!
    [/quote]

Hahaha oh gosh, day 1 and already a horrible mistype! I definitely meant height!

Sad thing is, I own TWO full length mirrors. I'm getting better, I try to look in a full length mirror at least once a day, but it really is like torture to me haha.

Oh! After I watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead (fabulous documentary) I did a juice fast too! I loved it, except for constantly being hungy haha. Fresh juice is spectacular.
    [/quote]

Ha ha, figured it was! I am terrible for a typeo!

That was the same for me, I watched the documentary too! I just didn't like feeling so constrained and restricted! I was like a hermit crab, couldn't go anywhere! BUT it really did help with the bad habits.
  • janlawrence2
    janlawrence2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone :)

Jade here! I don't really know what to write, but I am very excited about starting my weight loss journey...

I just recently graduated from high school (Last month), and, really, I should have looked better.
    I am a girl (obviously), 5'9". When I was in grade 10, I weighed 145lbs, and was incredibly disgusted with myself.
    I thought I was the "fattest" person I knew.
    Fast forward to today, I am currently 260lbs, and I can't help wondering how on earth I got to this point in such a short amount of time.

As the pounds increased, my self-confidence--which was already low--decreased.

I was diagnosed with Dystonia (a movement disorder), in grade 9, which has resulted in a lot more body pain than I should have as the weight piled on.

So here I am, 18 years old, 260lbs, and ready to make a change!!
    My ultimate goal is to get back down to where I was three years ago, at around 140lbs.

My main problem is sticking with my exercise plans, because, really, if you could choose between exercising and getting an extra hour of sleep, I'm sure most of you would choose sleep..
    I know I would, and have been for far too long.

I hope you all can help me keep to my plans and, ultimately, help change my life for the better!

Please, feel free to write me, I'd love to talk to you!!
    \\

Jade, Welcome to MFP and the greatest, most supportive group of people EVER! I was the 5'9" girl in high school way before my peers and I can totally relate to your story!! I'm OLD now (ok, creeping towards 50), and for most of my 20s and 30s I did a lot of exercise, a lot of aerobics and I conditioned myself to just stay in shape. But two kids later, bad knees, hips that don't stay in place, etc., I have been facing the most crazy challenges to keep weight off ever! I am 213 pounds currently and like you, I don't even know how it got there. I didn't even notice all the weight until the last year! I was immune and didn't see what others saw! (but I felt it on my joints, believe me!). Anyway, way more than you wanted to know! YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT PLACE! We all have our struggles, but try to stay honest to yourself. Baby steps, girl. It will come off but it never comes off as fast as it comes on. Just make a plan!! GOOD LUCK!
  • janlawrence2
    janlawrence2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the newbies! :) I wish all of you luck. This was a positive step towards taking care of YOU! This is a wonderful, fabulous group of people!!
  • It's funny how weight just creeps up on you. I didn't weigh myself for awhile and when I did I went and found another scale to see if the first one was wrong, but it wasn't. XD I hope you lose the weight. It'll be hard, but it'll be so awesome when you do :D