Simple Summer Squash Ideas?? :)

Options
HealthyChanges2010
HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
Looking for ideas on using some varieties of Summer Squash, pan pan (?), crooked yellow neck squash (the bumpy kind if it matters?)

I don't have any zuchinni squash it's mainly the ones above I'm lost on....

Do I peel them first, do I steam them? Stir fry, if so how and what's best with squash?

I also have the white flat one that are scalloped on the edges, I don't know the proper name.:blushing: I Googled Summer Squash and didn't find all the names so if anyone can share that as well, I'd be most appreciative:drinker:

Thank you thank you, I'm getting LOTS of it lately in my CSA veggie boxes and would love to not have it go to waste but learn how to use it.:tongue:

I love to cook but simple is best for me on new food items until I get in my comfort zone. LOL

Thanks again Friends:flowerforyou:
Becca:heart:

Replies

• sallyLunn
    Options
    Summer squash are delicious steamed with onion. That's my favorite way to eat them, whether I'm dieting or not. Don't peel them. Stir fry is good. Grilled with a brush of olive oil is good.

Squash soup is delicious. You can google a recipe and then tailor it to suit. I like to use winter squashes and pie pumpkin for that. A little curry in the soup makes it fantastic if you are a curry person.
  • suecq09
    suecq09 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    the little ones are peter pan squash. i've never prepared them.

for summer squash - my favorite way to eat them is to slice them up into fairly thin circles - lightly sautee with very little olive oil and some seasonings. i use mainly, garlic, pepper and either oregano or parsley.
  • sunshinessmile
    Options
    I love squash! I like to caramelized onions and squash its my favorite!

Heat a bit of oil(just enough to keep things from sticking) over high in a pan. Add half of a thinly sliced onion(you will use the other half as well just not yet so cut the whole thing up) Add the half of the onion to the pan and cook it until lightly browned. Now add 1-2 small squashes, I use the yellow squash and zucchini you could try it with other squash. i cut the squash in to half circles to that it is easier to cook. Add a bit of salt and pepper and cook until browned. Now repeat with the other half of the onion. If you have extra calories to spare add a bit of grated parmesan cheese(its amazing!) Takes maybe 15 mins total. Im in college and simple cooking is what I do!
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Another YUMMY way to fix squash is cut it in half and put it in a glass baking dish with about an inch of water. On top of each half put a little brown sugar and melted butter, and then cover the dish with foil. Bake it at 350 for about 45 minutes. Delicious!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Thank you friends, keep them coming, just like my squash is...coming every week!:laugh:

Ok, no peeling, good to know on the zuchinni type squash.

So Peterpan squash are the green ones...gotcha, anyone clue me in on peeling those etc?

I did do some Googling before posting this question and was really surprised I didn't see more for us beginner squash peeps. lol Perhaps I missed the good links, I'll check again.

Any of the squash freezable in any form? I believe it's got alot of water in it right? So I think the response to that would likely be no?

I appreciate learning more about new 'to me' veggies like this so thanks again!

Becca:drinker:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    bump:wink: