WARNING!!! GIRLY QUESTION!!!!

Options
Ladies,
Has anyone else's TOM freaked out since you started exercising regularly? Since I started working out on the Wii in December '09 I have been having 1 week on 2 weeks off for the most part.......it is getting ridiculous!!

Replies

• FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I would suggest consulting with your doc - there may be other things going on relating to your diet etc...
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I've not heard of that being caused from exercise, I would check it out with a doctor.
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    You've got something else going on. Get it checked.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    When I first started eating healthier and exercising more, I think I did skip a period. But the issues didn't last eight months. Definitely talk to your doctor.

Period issues can be a sign of other problems, including thyroid issues.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I've found the opposite actually. I have PCOS and so nothing is regular about my TOM (I've gone 8 months without and I've gone 200 days on. Just in July I started one on July 4, went in for my hormone tests - everything normal, 4 days blah blah blah. I started another one on July 12, went for hormone tests, everything normal, 4 days blah blah blah)

When I start dropping weight, the TOM seems to be better for me (mine is never 4 days - usually closer to 2 weeks).
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    I haven't heard of that, but everyone's body is different. My period used to be 10 days longs and really light. Now that I've been lowcarb/high protien and exercising. I've cut that time in half and its heavier. (I'm glad as to get it over with) BUT it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to down under and see your doctor.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Ladies,
    Has anyone else's TOM freaked out since you started exercising regularly? Since I started working out on the Wii in December '09 I have been having 1 week on 2 weeks off for the most part.......it is getting ridiculous!!

No, exercise, on the whole is good for TOM, it can regulate it.

Losing weight very quickly or losing too much weight can stop periods though, but in your case it is the opposite.

I 100% agree with everybody else here, definitely see your doctor, because a sudden change in your cycle like that should set the alarms bells ringing and get you to your GP.

Hoping all is ok and it is just a simple explanation :flowerforyou:
  • k2charmed4u
    Options
    Well are you sure it's not just your hormones changing?

When I started losing weight I noticed that I didn't have anywhere near as much pain or blood flow (I practically lived on the floor in the fetal position for about a week before I lost weight and cost a damn fortune in towels:ohwell: ).

However I did start to develop other things just before and during the first part of my period. As well as breast pain continuosly. Turns out it was because my hormones were changing. According to my doctor they change every 6-7 years, 98% of women don't really notice but some women have a dramatic change (hmmm lucky me :frown: ) so chances are it could be hormonal.

My doctor couldn't really treat this with medication and didn't want to with only being 22 years old so he recommended me to try Evening Primrose Oil instead. It's brilliant! Breast pain has gone, periods aren't as painful and i'm only on now for 4-5 days. Before my hormones changed I used to be on 7days minimum and cost a damn fortune in towels because now I only bleed about a 1/4 of what I used to (this my doctor says is because of my weight as well as my hormones).

So I'd recommend (like everyone else) go to your Dr and see what he says chances are it's weightloss combined with hormone changes, I recommend taking the Evening Primrose Oil anyway as it just helps to maintain a hormonal balance and doesn't hurt the body. Hope all goes well. :flowerforyou:
  • reinventingandrea
    Options
    Ladies,

Mine hasn't done that but it has gotten a lot better since I've started losing weight and exercising. I went from 7 days of heavy (Sorry for TMI) to 4 days of normal. I'm a happier camper just because of that reward lol.
  • JennaGermain
    Options
    When I joined the Army, the sudden increase of exercise caused my period to stop for 6 months.

Now, this time, I'm not exercising anywhere near as intensely as I did in the Army and my periods have gone from being every 35 days to every 29 days.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    My weight loss and exercise has messed up my cycle where I was late then it lasted for 2-3 weeks. Once this happened 2 months in a row I went to the gyno who did an overall exam and blood tests. Nothing was wrong so he put me on the pill to regulate it. I would see your doctor but don't freak out that something is majorly wrong. Your hormones might just be acting up.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    i was just at my GYN yesterday and i mentioned to him that i had been having some mid-cycle crampy feelings that i didnt remember having before and he said that wasnt uncommon as i have lost over 20 lbs (going from 'obese' to 'overweight') and its called middleschmirtz or something like that (its a word in german so i cant even guess at how to spell it lol!). Sometimes you get mid-cycle cramps/spotting because your ovaries are suddenly working better (due to weight loss). I would google that and consider that as a possibility at least. Do you know if you had been ovulating regularly previously? Fertilityfriend.com will teach you about Fertility Awareness Method (FAM) and you can at least track your cycle and then bring that data in to your gynecologist if things continue to be bothersome.

Personally, my TOM has shortened somewhat and between increased exercise/ weight loss and switching to the Diva Cup, i no longer have anything worse than very mild cramps....
  • momtojacob
    Options
    I just made a doctors appointment for a reason similar to this. My period has been normal - I was on the pill until a month ago. But about 10 days after my period stop I could have brownish/red cm for a day. Only a day, so strange. The first two months is happened it was the morning after sex so I figured it was from that. The last couple months is has just been randomly, 1x in the morning, 1x in the middle of the afternoon. I can't see the doctor until the end of the month so we shall see. I know she is going to tell me to wait a couple more months before we do anything too b/c I just stopped taking the pills 3 weeks ago b/c husband decided we could try to have another baby. yipee!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    My TOM sux! Ever since having my second daughter (4 years ago) and going off the pill (had my tubes tied), my TOM has been crazy. I guess the pill really kept me regular. Now, I have 23 day cycles, like you, one week on, two weeks off. And the first two days are torture - heavy bleeding, severe cramps. My problem should have nothing to do with weight loss, since it was like this before I dropped the weight. My doctor did blood work (including Thyroid), and it's normal. Did an ultrasound for fibroids, nothing. Doctor recommends the Mirena IUD, but I haven't decided yet. I really don't want to go back on the pill either. So I just suffer every month, every three weeks, that is!! :grumble: :explode: :angry: :mad:

Hope you find some relief! Let me know if you find something that works. Good luck!
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    Now, I have 23 day cycles, like you, one week on, two weeks off. And the first two days are torture - heavy bleeding, severe cramps.

My cycle is pretty short too because a have a short luteal phase (the segment of your cycle AFTER ovulation but before your TOM begins) Anyhoooo, have you looked into the Diva Cup? Its about $30, but lasts for years (and no more buying things every month!). For me, its made a WORLD of difference with the cramps! If your cramps are severe, i say its worth a few month trial run at the least! --- make sure you read the 'how to insert' 'how to remove'... there is a bit of a learning curve with that first cycle but it quickly becomes a 'no-brainer' :)
  • ktbug1186
    Options
    So, while were on girly questions..Do you skip weighing the week before/during your period?? Im bloating up and im scared to step on the scale! lol!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I weigh every week but noticed that TOM week I would have some extra weight, clothes were tighter, belly bloat.
    I have the Mirena but it expires next year.
    What is the Diva Cup? I have never heard of it.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    I weigh every week but noticed that TOM week I would have some extra weight, clothes were tighter, belly bloat.
    I have the Mirena but it expires next year.
    What is the Diva Cup? I have never heard of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstrual_cup
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    So, while were on girly questions..Do you skip weighing the week before/during your period?? Im bloating up and im scared to step on the scale! lol!

Make sure you do step on those scales and then log everything. If your weight is up, put a little note for yourself, weight up by however much it is up. Then after your TOM is finished, make a note again. Over the next three or four months you will see a pattern emerge and it is that pattern that could stop you getting discouraged at a later stage.

Very important to do that, if you don't you will never know if it is just TOM or putting on weight etc.

Don't forget, that TOM can make weight go up a bit, but it will go back down again afterwards, so I certainly wouldn't panic :flowerforyou:
  • lizziewhan
    lizziewhan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    i have the mirena so i hardly ever get a period. but i have noticed that in the last 2 years when i really started working out consistantly i would have a light period....which was more than i would get normally. but mine would last a few days and be done