No change :(

Options
Hi everyone!

I have been on a healthy eating and exercise plan for just under 3 months. I am 27 years old, 5"9 and weigh 148lbs. I haven't got a huge amount of weight to lose (probably 8-10llbs max) and am looking to tone up.

I have completely cut out all junk food, upped my veg and fruit intake and consume an average of 1750 calories a day. I have increased my water intake to a minimum of 8 pints a day. I also exercise 5 times a week, a mix of cardio, stretches and weights.

So, why after nearly 3 months have I not lost any weight? I haven't even shifted 1lb. I thought that maybe I was gaining muscle mass and that perhaps I had lost inches - but no, not a measly inch off anywhere - my clothes still fit the same as they did in April.

What am I doing wrong? I can assure everyone I am not cheating and do not consume more calories than stated. I exercise for between an hour and an hour and a half - enough to get me sweating and so I feel the burn.

If anyone can shed any light I'd be really grateful, I am feeling incredibly despondent and like I want to give up. I have worked so hard and so far it's been for nothing.

AHM

Replies

• emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Maybe because you are at a healthy weight range for your height. Why are you trying to lose more?
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    8 pints?
    A pint is 600mls = 4.8 liters!
    A LOT.
  • NathanielUK
    NathanielUK Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Lots of factors in this - You are at a reasonbly good weight for height/age etc... But - Muscle growth could factor, Water weight could factor, How long are you working out for? Have you "measured" yourself rather then just Guessing about your "inchs" - Dont just watch Calories, Make sure your eating the good stuff.

Pointless being on a diet if your going to eat 1800 cals of CHOCLATE! although there was that crazy thing recently about the "choclate" diet.
  • parrrp
    parrrp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    try dropping processed wheat? That stuff makes me retain loads of water - switch to rice and oats for a while instead?
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    These links may help you and if haven't already invest in some kitchen scales, don't leave it to guess work or even measuring cups, spoons etc as these can be highly inaccurate as well.

Also a lot of the exercise burns in the database are overestimates so maybe only eat back 2/3 of your exercise cals burnt

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    You'll need to unlock your diary for any truly helpfull replies.
  • Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options
    It probably means you are already at a good weight for your height..your body knows these kinds of things, why change it?
  • Ophidion
    Options
    You'll need to unlock your diary for any truly helpful replies.
    This^^ would help tremendously to give you the help you seek.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Please open your diary. Most likely, food consumption and miscalculation of calories is the culprit.

Are you weighing everything that can be weighed? Measuring everything liquid? You don't have to be surgically precise, but guessing is almost always way off in the direction of eating more than we think we are eating.

Are you counting all condiments? weighing salad dressing as you pour it into the bowl? adding fat, oil, butter, anything during the cooking process that is not being counted?

Is 1750 goal inclusive of exercise burns?

Are you eating foods that cause water retention?

How intense are your workouts, and what sort of calorie burn are you estimating? More cardio? More strength? What are you counting as cardio and exercise?

Knowing this will help us answer the question and might help you see what needs to be adjusted.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Try nixing the cardio and just lift weights for 6-8 weeks.
  • sp98
    sp98 Posts: 46
    Options
    Maybe because you are at a healthy weight range for your height. Why are you trying to lose more?

Maybe this ^^
  • Ophidion
    Options
    Barring any medical conditions it should be an issue of calories in vs calories out, if you are truly at a deficit you should be seeing a drop in weight or measurements. It is hard to believe that water retention could play such a consistent role...you may not be cheating but I think you have botched the numbers somewhere along the way.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    You are at a good weight for your height

I am 5ft9 and weigh 140.... Your 8lbs heavier than me

Are you....

Eating lots of protein? Veggies? Fruit?

Try weight lifting or mixing up your gym session.......Your body get used to the same routine every single day...Be creative... Maybe do some classes... Body pump is great fun....Makes you sweat!!

I also eat a lot of eggs/oats/carrots etc.... These fill me up.......: )
  • carlamsimmons
    Options
    Are you taking in enough protein? You can also decrease your caloric intake to around 1600 per day. Are you getting enough sleep? I can't see your diary in order to help you further. I don't tell my clients to measure every single thing that they eat. It's a difference between performance nutrition and just nutrition. Performance nutrition you eat certain amounts of things that will ensure your body has everything it needs to build the muscle and recover...sleep plays a huge factor in that as well.
  • Ophidion
    Options
    It is good that most people are suggesting a change of routine but if people were reading the Op they are already doing weights.
    I don't think they were looking for advice on training but weight loss...which is determined by having a calorie deficit.

So once again I will reiterate the OP's numbers are most probably off.
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think 1750 is maintenance calories, not weight loss calories.

Calorie cycling helps with plateaus :)
    Also, try HIIT-the afterburn is great! Your nonexistent weight loss could merely be due to the fact that you're building muscle while losing fat, therefore teh scale doesn't change. The number doesn't really matter anyway...
  • JeffersJJ
    JeffersJJ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I have been on a healthy eating and exercise plan for just under 3 months. I am 27 years old, 5"9 and weigh 148lbs. I haven't got a huge amount of weight to lose (probably 8-10llbs max) and am looking to tone up.

I have completely cut out all junk food, upped my veg and fruit intake and consume an average of 1750 calories a day. I have increased my water intake to a minimum of 8 pints a day. I also exercise 5 times a week, a mix of cardio, stretches and weights.

So, why after nearly 3 months have I not lost any weight? I haven't even shifted 1lb. I thought that maybe I was gaining muscle mass and that perhaps I had lost inches - but no, not a measly inch off anywhere - my clothes still fit the same as they did in April.

What am I doing wrong? I can assure everyone I am not cheating and do not consume more calories than stated. I exercise for between an hour and an hour and a half - enough to get me sweating and so I feel the burn.

If anyone can shed any light I'd be really grateful, I am feeling incredibly despondent and like I want to give up. I have worked so hard and so far it's been for nothing.

AHM

When it comes to calories, a calorie is not a calorie. If you're eating too much fruit (natural sugar) it will spike your insulin level and keep you from burning any fat. Are you paying any attention to your ratios of Carbs, Fats, and Proteins? Ideally, you should eat 40% Carbs (mostly vegetables and SOME fruit), 30% Fats (nuts, seeds, oils) and 30% lean protein.

If you're using the default settings for MFP, it sets you up with WAY too many calories from carbs. If you change your goals, under custom, you can select 40% for Carbs and the other two adjust automatically. Try to pay attention to these ratios because they really do matter.

The time of day you are eating also makes a big difference. Have you tried consuming all of your calories in an 8-hour period and fasting the other 16 hours of the day? I promise you that will help you trim down, too. If you have any other nutrition questions, feel free to message me. Remember, abs are build in the kitchen. There IS a formula!

~Jeff
    Certified CrossFit Trainer
  • Ophidion
    Options
    I think 1750 is maintenance calories, not weight loss calories.

Calorie cycling helps with plateaus :)
    Also, try HIIT-the afterburn is great! Your nonexistent weight loss could merely be due to the fact that you're building muscle while losing fat, therefore teh scale doesn't change. The number doesn't really matter anyway...
    You can not build muscle or at least a significant amount at a catabolic state (calorie deficit) only while in a anabolic state (calorie surplus) so once again most probably not at a deficit.
  • NK102
    NK102 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love this suggestion! I just started eating about 60% of my calories before about 5 ( I get later than most people) and stay away from carbs after that, and it seems to be helping me. We'll see.

Thanks for your insight!
  • NK102
    NK102 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ophidion,
    What is HIIT????

NK