Beginner biking problem!

Options
My. Butt. HURTS.
Haha, I love riding my bike and getting into it but ugh, it hurts my butt so bad. Almost like it's right on the bone. I have some cushion thing on the seat that makes the pain just bearable, but that's it. Are there any ways to not feel it on the butt so bad? Or will I have to deal with it/get something else over the seat or something?

Replies

• JDMRoma
    JDMRoma Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You can get the pads that go over...not sure how good they work OR get a really good pair of Biking shorts !
    I usually ride about 30 miles on a weekend day, It was so PAINFUL before getting my shorts. They were around $90 but worth every penny. Go to a bike shop that has a good inventory and try on a few different brands You will love them !!!
  • LiveLife256
    Options
    Let us know how the bike shorts do if you end up getting some. I have a gel seat on my bike but I don't have bike shorts with the pad in them. It has been working fine for me. After awhile your butt / butt bones will get used to it. I have been riding faithfully everyday since May. I have a 23 mile route I ride 4-5 days a week. I have gone over and my butt begins to hurt at about mile 26, haha!
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    There is no single seat that will work....the bigger and softer the seat, the more you just prolong the pain. If you are looking at cycling as a hobby, the saddle (seat) you will want to look for will have a Perineal split in it, this seat varies for men or women, but has the same effect. The butt pain goes away as your sit bones get used to riding, the real problem is numb nuts, as a standard seat will pinch the perineal nerves, causing numb nuts, which is potentially dangerous long term.

As for shorts...just look at performancebike.com and look for a pair of shorts with high density foam, as you ride more, swap from shorts to bibs, more comfortable, as nothing is binding at the waist, oh....last thing, bike shorts, wear nothing underneath...you'll get chaffed pretty badly if you do.

well, almost last thing....get cycling shoes, not sneakers, with cycling shoes, you can pull up as well as stamp down...much more efficient, and a full leg workout..

ride safe, follow rules of the road, and don't let cars push you into the gutter....
  • OCGirl1983
    Options
    Well i'm glad to know this isn't just me feeling the pain! I just got a bike too, so that me and my fiance couild go riging together to lose weight, and oh man did my butt hurt. I had to stop and rest a while to give it a break!! I'm thinking of getting the gel seat!
  • miame22
    miame22 Posts: 16
    Options
    This would be why I only did 1 cycling class, even though I love riding bikes. They do make gel seat pads at the bike stores and there are biker shorts that have pads too. Supposedly you will also build up--- callouses aren't exactly right but apparently your body will get used to it over time.
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Both the above posters are spot on. Your butt will get used to it! Make sure your bike is adjusted properly, though. Is your seat too high? Tilted at a funny angle? The shorts are a great idea, too. I have them and wear them when I ride in a cycling class but it's not necessary for me on my mountain bike. Good luck!
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    :laugh: You'll get used to it, other then that buy some bike shorts
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Well i'm glad to know this isn't just me feeling the pain! I just got a bike too, so that me and my fiance couild go riging together to lose weight, and oh man did my butt hurt. I had to stop and rest a while to give it a break!! I'm thinking of getting the gel seat!

this is about as soft as i would go for women.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1119088_-1___
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I would avoid the padded seat cover. They just make it worse. Invest in good quality cycling shorts and prepare to get used to the pain. Your bum will toughen up, I promise. This is the no. 1 complaint when people start riding. It was my biggest complaint and now it doesn't bother me anymore except on 60+ mile rides. You need good shorts, maybe some chamois butter (helps with chaffing) and possibly a narrower seat. Do not wear undies with the shorts!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Stick with the unpadded seat, from what I understand it's better for your down there parts to not have padded seat. Wear padded shorts instead, the kotex type shorts they sell for biking. You get used to it, and then it will be as if you never thought it was a problem before.
  • km5dx
    km5dx Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bike shorts are a must.... A saddle that fits and you are comfortable with is important... Too narrow and the pressure points are in the wrong place, too wide and it will chaffe bad.... See you favorite bike shop person to help pick one.... Last and most important stick with it, you will get used to it and it will not hurt after the 4th or 5th ride in a 1-2 week time period.

I ride about 9 hours a week (6x1.5 hours). At this level you may also need some anti-chaffing balm like "body glide" or "brave soldier" to prevent saddle sores particularly if it is hot and humid. I don't have much soreness unless I ride longer on a given day or have a week or so that I don't ride... then the next week can be pretty uncomfortable again.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    1: Ride more and get used to it.

2: Bike shorts.

3: It might help to make sure you have the right seat for you, any bike store can help with this.
  • jebreject
    jebreject Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Try adjusting your saddle height. At the correct height, you will find yourself actually using your sit bones rather than putting all that pressure on the soft tissue, which is probably what's causing so much pain. Additionally, the majority of your weight should not be resting on the saddle; rather, it should be carried mostly by your legs, with some carried by your hands and arms. A good general guideline with regard to saddle height is that when riding, you should have only a slight bend at the knee when you are fully extended in your down stroke. You probably will not be able to just hop on and off your saddle when getting on your bike In fact, this article illustrates how you should be starting and stopping: http://sheldonbrown.com/starting.html and this one talks more about saddle height, how to adjust it, and how you know when it's just right: http://sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html#adjustment

Like a lot of the other folks here, I would also recommend against the padded cover, or any of the squishy gel seats. Same with wide seats. These are more comfortable for short rides, but are really bad for you in the long run. And yes, a good pair of bike shorts is absolutely necessary!

You will probably be uncomfortable at first, but you WILL get used to it.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    as already stated...bike shorts. i purchased mine in the beginning of the summer and it helped TREMENDOUSLY! i love them. spent 50 bucks at my local bike shop, but they had a few styles to choose from. i went with the baggy type. if i looked good in spandex i wouldn't need to bike! i love them. nothing underneath and hand wash only. totally worth the money. go buy some, NOW!
  • prophetessmom
    prophetessmom Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Try adjusting your saddle height. At the correct height, you will find yourself actually using your sit bones rather than putting all that pressure on the soft tissue, which is probably what's causing so much pain. Additionally, the majority of your weight should not be resting on the saddle; rather, it should be carried mostly by your legs, with some carried by your hands and arms. A good general guideline with regard to saddle height is that when riding, you should have only a slight bend at the knee when you are fully extended in your down stroke. You probably will not be able to just hop on and off your saddle when getting on your bike In fact, this article illustrates how you should be starting and stopping: http://sheldonbrown.com/starting.html and this one talks more about saddle height, how to adjust it, and how you know when it's just right: http://sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html#adjustment

Like a lot of the other folks here, I would also recommend against the padded cover, or any of the squishy gel seats. Same with wide seats. These are more comfortable for short rides, but are really bad for you in the long run. And yes, a good pair of bike shorts is absolutely necessary!

You will probably be uncomfortable at first, but you WILL get used to it.

Great information! I had tried biking before, and ran into all of these problems. Friends of ours who have been biking for quite a while lent us bikes that they had used before upgrading (they are remarkably close in size and shape to us), and it's a whole different feel than the last time I rode. My plan is to use this bike as a starting point, then move onto more of a road bike (the current is a hybrid). But yeah, not having a sore bum is wonderful.
    Long-term goal is to ride the "Trek Across Maine" http://action.lung.org/site/TR?fr_id=8070&pg=entry next June. I have plenty of time to train and get ready, but it's nice to have these tips at hand. Thank you!