Anyone Else Grow Vegetables?

Options
I love food fresh out of the garden and after having to go years without it (moving around in the military, but never in a place that I could have a garden) we're finally settling down and I can start a veggie garden in the spring (yes, a ways off, but planning is good, right?). I'll be limited on space so I'm going to do a vertical garden (out of raised beds - can't turn the soil), but I'm torn on which veggies I should focus on (I'll be near Fort Campbell, KY). Anyone else have a space saving vegetable garden that would like to share tips/tricks that have helped you?

Replies

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I have a mini vegetable garden on my apartment patio. I've lined plastic crates with trash bags and put dirt inside.

Some things I've grown:
    -tomatoes
    -lettuce
    -eggplant
    -peas

It's all been a learning process! Lately I got an infestation of white flies that took out my pea plant :/ but it's great being able to go onto the patio and pick some lettuce and tomatoes for a salad!
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    My mother does, and she is on MFP too. I'll point her in the direction of this thread.
  • anaamsterdamski
    Options
    I try to grow green leafies like rocket (aragula) parsley celery brocoli basil and tomatoes and especially now I'm on an eating plan. These give you leaves quickly and you can keep picking them. Also these vegies go off quick when I'm stuck buying them from the shop. Always seem to need them for my menu plans. celery and brocoli may need to be in the soil but the others can grow in pots. All the best
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I did container gardening, and next spring I am going to start a "real" garden in the backyard. I did peas, broccoli, cucumbers and tomatoes. The cucumbers completely died on me, I think they were getting too much water...the peas are looking great and they are delicious, same with the tomatoes. I started small this year, just to see how it would go, before I start growing more in the ground in the spring.

I'm also here for ideas from others or tips :)
  • spdleeuw
    spdleeuw Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My daughter (inkratlet) has put me on the spot!
    I grow the following in boxes because my red clay soil in Portugal is rock hard:
    Swiss chard (stalks like weak-flavoured asparagus, but leaves like spinach you can cut as you need)
    swede (can't get it here in PT)
    tomatoes (big ones, cherry tomatoes too much work picking them)
    rhubarb (can't get it either)
    courgettes
    pumpkin
    strawberries
    in the winter lettuce,broccoli and a Portuguese vegetable called grelos (a bit like cabbage greens)
  • rwooten666
    rwooten666 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the feedback! I am definitely hoping to do cucumber, tomatoes (early girls as I'm afraid to try anything that might not make it before the frost), and beans as my vine/tall/vertical plants (and I can manipulate some squash that way, too). I had heard Swiss chard, broccoli, cauliflower, and lettuce were good for raised beds, too.
    To go a little more "in depth," does anyone have a garden graph of something you may have attempted/succeeded with? A picture, maybe? I've got a whole folder of things that LOOK great, but I can't tell the spacing/all the plants in the pictures and don't want to just wing it. I've actually never had anything die on me, not even in Colorado where almost nothing grows and I'd like to make the most of the time/space/planning I have.